• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RTX4080 16GB review thread

having paid £649 for the 3080 FE its a nice uplift and lower temps and power but trying to sell it at pretty much double the price no Thanks
I was thinking the same, would be nice to have the extra vram but I ain't biting at that price .... and I bet 1500 quid is more like the price of a Strix/Suprim type card, maybe more?

Scratching my head wondering who this card is aimed at! People with that kinda money to burn on a GPU would surely just go for the 4090.

Absolutely. This is a great card, just at a terrible price. The 3080 was around 25-30% faster than the 2080 Ti for virtually half the price IIRC, this has a smaller advantage over the 3090 Ti for the same price. And yes, I'm ignoring the initial RRP of the latter as it was farcical.

I was thinking the same, would be nice to have the extra vram but I ain't biting at that price .... and I bet 1500 quid is more like the price of a Strix/Suprim type card, maybe more?

I dont game much these days and play at 1440p so 3080 should be fine ticking along till next gen, out of principle I wont go above £600-£750 . I think once 30 series stock depletes they'll drop the price also AMD looks to have much better option even though I still think thats too high

Last edited:
having paid £649 for the 3080 FE its a nice uplift and lower temps and power but trying to sell it at pretty much double the price no Thanks

This.

4080 looks much better than I was expecting, significantly better than a 3090 ti and my 3080 but not paying £1+k on a gpu.

Nvidia and amd have basically done the same thing with their pricing and moving tiers about, nvidia have made it more noticeable and taken the **** where as amd have tried to fly under the radar and hope people don't notice/mind as it isn't as much of a **** take as nvidia :cry:

relative-performance_3840-2160.png

Scratching my head wondering who this card is aimed at! People with that kinda money to burn on a GPU would surely just go for the 4090.
I also thought the 4070 was out at the same time, but it aint :(

It is not aimed at any one and it won't be until all of the 30 series stock is gone.

This is very deliberate behaviour, by a guy who said he was going to manipulate the market until 30 series stocks were gone. IE, buy a 30 series, as he really didn't want to launch the 40 series yet and so has put LOLprice on all 40 series cards. Good cop bad cop. 30 series = good cop, if you could call it that, 40 series = bad cop, F you pay me.

And it has worked brilliantly thus far. I didn't envisage people actually paying that for a 4090, and I would imagine they will strongly regret it soon, but hey not my problem really. Why would you not charge that? I mean, people are obviously willing to pay it and at the end of the day AMD still haven't launched anything and even when they do he could drop prices slightly then any way. That said I don't think he will. He will just Ti all the things as usual and every one who bought one of these will get knobbed in the rear as usual.

Actually heard mumblings of a Titan type card too. Which makes sense, given how far off the 4090 is from what is capable on this gen. Again though, that could just be wiggle room to continue inflating their prices.

Not an exciting card at all IMO. Stupid price point. If you can spend that kind of money you can reach to a 4090 probably - which is exactly what Nvidia want you to do.

So ~50% faster than a 3080 FE MSRP, yet over 70% more expensive. Gains about what should be expected for next gen cards, but no thanks on the massive price hike.

If the numbers from AMD are to be believed the 4080 16GB is about 15% slower in raster than a 7900 XTX. Also Techpowerup has 4080 16GB about 60% faster in RT over the 6950 XT. AMD numbers have the 7900 XTX about 53% faster in RT than the 6950 XT.

So potentially on avg 15% slower in raster and on avg 15% slower in RT compared to the 7900 XTX, but 20% more expensive. Will wait for 7900 XTX and XT reviews but right now the 4080 16GB is overpriced for what you get. YMMV of course.

Last edited:
Not an exciting card at all IMO. Stupid price point. If you can spend that kind of money you can reach to a 4090 probably - which is exactly what Nvidia want you to do.

AMD are doing the same on the 7900 XTX and 7900 XT, though at least their prices are a bit more reasonable. Kind of like Nvidia Nvidia punching you in the face and kicking you in the balls, while AMD are only giving you a punch in the face.

There's a reasonable chance that these sell very poorly and those that buy to scalp end up having to sell them for under £900 in a month or so. I have really never been interested in the 4080 seeing how far off the 4090 it is this time. Like 50% in some titles.

all the "price has gone up" talk in here at the moment....anyone would think the price of everything has gone up or something. oh, they have lol.

So ~50% faster than a 3080 FE MSRP, yet over 70% more expensive. Gains about what should be expected for next gen cards, but no thanks on the massive price hike.

If the numbers from AMD are to be believed the 4080 16GB is about 15% slower in raster than a 7900 XTX. Also Techpowerup has 4080 16GB about 60% faster in RT over the 6950 XT. AMD numbers have the 7900 XTX about 53% faster in RT than the 6950 XT.

So potentially on avg 15% slower in raster and on avg 15% slower in RT compared to the 7900 XTX, but 20% more expensive. Will wait for 7900 XTX and XT reviews but right now the 4080 16GB is overpriced for what you get. YMMV of course.

5T4nEGZ.jpg

mdjJWlS.jpg

Back
Top Bottom