• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RX5700 and RX5700XT review thread

Permabanned
Why do AMD insist on pants coolers for their gfx cards ?

I really wish amd and nvidia would both put the final nail in the coffin for blower coolers for gaming centric gpu's, all they do is hamper performance and cause headache.

The blower coolers are very bad because they are like magnets for disaster. Imagine what will happen with those 80-90°C when the dust bunnies gather between the small radiator's fins after several weeks of usage?!
I think this type of cooler is the critical minimum which they allow themselves to install.
They care only about their wellness and profit margins, but never honestly care about the customers.

What's the point of dozens of great features if your hardware design blows it all up?

Associate
I really wish amd and nvidia would both put the final nail in the coffin for blower coolers for gaming centric gpu's, all they do is hamper performance and cause headache.

This.

After watching several views, and reading reports.
RTX 2070 Super is my card of choice.

Not into loud AND +90C cards.

One is ok, but not both.

Soldato
The blower coolers are very bad because they are like magnets for disaster. Imagine what will happen with those 80-90°C when the dust bunnies gather between the small radiator's fins after several weeks of usage?!
I think this type of cooler is the critical minimum which they allow themselves to install.
They care only about their wellness and profit margins, but never honestly care about the customers.

What's the point of dozens of great features if your hardware design blows it all up?

Fair enough however this forum suffers from
double standards. 1080 series, Ti, Titan, Titan X and even the flipping Jedi Titan with glowing Leds which was lit up like a Christmas Tree and cost one squillion pounds - all blowers - £650, £850+

Wow great cards, Nvidia are king !

AMD puts one on their £350 reference card - Burn they at the stake!

Dual fan cards will come soon after launch, you pays your money.....

Soldato
Fair enough however this forum suffers from
double standards. 1080 series, Ti, Titan, Titan X and even the flipping Jedi Titan with glowing Leds which was lit up like a Christmas Tree and cost one squillion pounds - all blowers - £650, £850+

Wow great cards, Nvidia are king !

AMD puts one on their £350 reference card - Burn they at the stake!

Dual fan cards will come soon after launch, you pays your money.....
I think everyone that are joining the cool club preoccupied with the idea in their heads of stomping AMD has forgotten that before the RTX cards came, all the Nvidia cards stock cooler was a blower cooler (though to be fair, the FE blower cooler could be mistaken to be styled after Apple product, who cares if the card is hitting 80C+ on those :p)...

If people care so much about the cooler and genuinely's can't wait for the 3rd party Navi, then spend the same or more money getting the slower 2060S over the 5700XT, assuming that Nvidia themselves has enough of the FE stock to go around, or otherwise people will be spending £400~£430 on the AIB partners' 2060S.

Soldato
The problem isn't the blower.
The problem is it's crap thermals and acoustics.

On Nvidia blowers such as the 1080 it had better acoustics than the 5700XT has etc.
Nvidia's blower-style reference cards also throttled by default though. They were designed specifically to hit the temperature throttle point (84 degrees), then to lower clocks rather than increase fan speed further. That's also way hotter than I'd be comfortable running my card day to day, so increasing the fan speed from the stock curve is mandatory unless you want suppressed performance and temperatures in the mid-80s. Any acoustic advantage melts away at that point. Blowers are just inherently crap compared to open-style cards, bar niche use cases.

Associate
This.

After watching several views, and reading reports.
RTX 2070 Super is my card of choice.

Not into loud AND +90C cards.

One is ok, but not both.
If you're comparing reference cards, I'd agree. But IMO you should wait for the partner cards from both and see.

Soldato

This video shows the benefits of the 4K upscaling for those who want most of the image quality of 4K but without the performance hit. This would be a great card for those who have 4K monitors but can't afford a 2080ti.

Soldato

Weeks?? Bit extreme. I think you need to hoover more often or something..

Soldato
Just flicking through the reviews.

I know it is an edge case but it looks like the stock reference 5700XT just owned the 2080ti FE in Forza Horizon 4 1080p.

Somehow AMD fixed their poor 1080p performance for Navi.

@Martini1991 the 1080GTX Fe blower was quiet because it was one of the coolest running GPUs ever, if not the coolest. Great chip!

Caporegime
Just flicking through the reviews.

I know it is an edge case but it looks like the stock reference 5700XT just owned the 2080ti FE in Forza Horizon 4 1080p.

Somehow AMD fixed their poor 1080p performance for Navi.

@Martini1991 the 1080GTX Fe blower was quiet because it was one of the coolest running GPUs ever, if not the coolest. Great chip!

That's the point though isn't it.
As long as you've got the right cooler for your GPU you're okay.

Soldato
On what planet did the GTX 1080 FE run cool? Because it wasn't this one. It hit its thermal throttle point like every other Nvidia blower card, then tanked its clockspeed way, way down in order to stay there. Barely over 1600MHz, which is 300MHz+ less than what you can expect from a decent AIB model at stock settings (heck, my Palit Game Rock version hit 2GHz out of the box).

ahr0cdovl21lzglhlmjlcj0jbu.png

ahr0cdovl21lzglhlmjlc6aktc.png

Quiet my butt. Quiet if you don't mind losing a massive chunk of performance in exchange. If you want that back, up goes the fan RPM by a hefty amount. Any card and cooler can be quiet if you throttle the GPU back enough. It's not an achievement - it's a design flaw of a crappy cooler.

Soldato
That's because the 1080FE's cooler had vapor chamber (same as the Titan's cooler), while the 1070 and cheaper FE cards got that gut ripped out of them.

The funny thing was at launch there were many 3rd party cards with beefier custom cooler available from £580~£620 on average (except good old Asus with tax on their cards), and the 1080FE was at a higher price at £630. Some people were willing to spend more on a blower card that was not as good on cooling because "omgz Titan cooler...so shiny", "wow a card not by some 3rd party brand but by Nvidia themselves, time to show my patriotism", "blower cooler is better for SLI (or so they keep telling others and themselves to justify paying extra for it)".

Literally no one seem to remember the other FE cards's blower cooler had very average cooling capability, but they seem to get confused because it looked the same the Titan cooler. Even the 1080FE with the Vapor Chamber was struggle to keep the clock speed above 1900~2000MHz, where most other 3rd party cards with custom coolers had not problem keep it above 2000MHz+.

Last edited:
Soldato
Impressed with Navi's power consumption and performance. Custom cards should be great.

Can't wait to upgrade from Radeon VII to 'Big' Navi in a few months time :)

Caporegime
Literally no one seem to remember the other FE cards's blower cooler had very average cooling capability, but they seem to get confused because it looked the same the Titan cooler. Even the 1080FE with the Vapor Chamber was struggle to keep the clock speed above 1900~2000MHz, where most other 3rd party cards with custom coolers had not problem keep it above 2000MHz+.

Another pointer was nvidia's demo of the 1080, remember they had it overclocked to 2ghz or thereabouts and they showed it being at 66c or around that. They neglected to tell people the cards fan was screaming at 100%, so people came away with the impression it was a very cool running card and that somehow stuck.

Back
Top Bottom