• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RX5800X3D review thread

Soldato
I wonder how Zen4 will compete against this in games? AMD have just given us a generational leap within then same generation, so Zen4 has a lot of work to do if people are going to switch to am5 (unless vcache is a standard feature going forwards)

Soldato
I wonder how Zen4 will compete against this in games? AMD have just given us a generational leap within then same generation, so Zen4 has a lot of work to do if people are going to switch to am5 (unless vcache is a standard feature going forwards)

I'd think the point is v-cache along with fabric running at DDR5 speeds. The difference 3200 to 3800 1:1 is already interesting, now make it 5200 (albeit looser timings).

Soldato
This is why the games you play matter

If the only review you watched is this one you'd think that the 5800x3d is a giant waste of money

this reviewer just so managed to benchmark all the games bar one which don't care about cache and so his reviews comes out quite "meh" because the 5800x3d doesn't seem much faster than what's already available

Soldato
Can someone explain why the price of upgrading a 5600x to this chip would be worth it?

£200 spent now should surely just have been spent on a 5800x in the first place?

Man of Honour
Can someone explain why the price of upgrading a 5600x to this chip would be worth it?

£200 spent now should surely just have been spent on a 5800x in the first place?

Did someone say it was worth it? It is all relative I guess, but it wouldn't be worth it for me. I'd only upgrade to Zen 3 from Zen 2 or Zen+.

Caporegime
This is why the games you play matter

If the only review you watched is this one you'd think that the 5800x3d is a giant waste of money

this reviewer just so managed to benchmark all the games bar one which don't care about cache and so his reviews comes out quite "meh" because the 5800x3d doesn't seem much faster than what's already available

Are you surprised? :)

@ 7:10 "Intel all the way baby" i hate it when fanboys review CPU's. Do these people think they look cool whooping like teenagers for their favourite brand while pretending to be doing an impartial review?

Even his FC6 result was entirely GPU bottlenecked to take the legs out from under the 5800X3D.

Last edited:
Soldato
i hate it when fanboys

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

Soldato
Given in I got the a brand new 5800X B2 for 250 dollars I see no point in upgrading lol. (I'm still on x450 as well, so prob better served by going to a better MB than a new CPU.)

Interesting results.

Associate
It will be interesting to see if the Bethesda Creation Engine based games see any real improvement.

The same goes with application performance. I use DxO Photolab and there isn't a huge jump in performance,but with Lightroom the jump in performance core for core is noticeable.

When TPU jumpted the reviews, I was surprised that on the apps side only really WinRAR performed much better. I do suspect that the build-in 7zip benchmark (easy to use) does not see any benefit because of the settings: default is a 32MB dictionary whereas for solid archives larger ones tend to get better results. Default 7z Ultra setting is to use a 64MB dictionary but the memory usage estimate is far above that:
UVn4cSp.png
I suspect to really take advantage of the huge cache will require developer work.
From the Phoronix reviews of Milan-X:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-epyc-7773x-linux&num=1
and the kernel 5.18 follow-up:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-milanx-linux518&num=1
The kernel made big difference. And while their reviews stick to their standard test suite, being able to re-compile (which I assume they do) makes a big difference.

Obviously, HPC workloads tend to be used to having to re-compile. Although even then I would think more can be squeezed out of certain workloads rather than just telling the compiler that the target has lots of cache.

Bethesda's Creation Engine will an interesting to see results, we just need a volunteer:

Nope. I want to see Warzone benchmarks.

One of the first things I intend to test when I get one, along with Far Cry 6, Halo Infinite, Vanguard, etc.

Will interested to see your results. I would also appreciate posting in @CAT-THE-FIFTH's FO4 benchmark thread:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...hmark-thread-need-some-zen3-results.18946938/

At half the power draw too
Yes, the power figures in the CB review are pretty telling. We all know the 12900KS is the Special-power-hug-Editon, but since 5800X3D uses less power than the 5800X due to the lower clocks, the 12900KS uses closer to three times the power:
XGJTdC5.png
https://www.computerbase.de/2022-04...2/#abschnitt_die_leistungsaufnahme_in_spielen
58W vs 151W is a very poor showing for Intel's KS model. And the extra 46W compared the normal 'K' gains them at most 3% at 720P (and even a regression in RT performance for whatever reason). Guess power usage is no longer important.

Back
Top Bottom