• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RX6700XT review thread

Associate
Neither AMD or Nvidia is in a position where making peasant priced cards looks like an excellent use of silicon and probably not going to change for another year at least.

And it be another few years before the Arizona fab takes the pressure off the fully booked up wafers orders in Taiwan.

Associate
I play Div2 and picked up a 3070 as a temp card whilst my 6900XT went back (had slight damage I wasn't happy with for £1500, Strix LC) and tbh all I did was drop the render to 85% at 4k and job done. Sure the 6900XT was higher fps at 100% native but was it a deal-breaker? Nope. Managed to get a Nitro 6800XT for a decent price and happy as Larry :)

All of these cards are powerful AF for DX12/Vulkan games now, a lot of horsepower in them!

what????!!!
you returned you Strix LC 6900xt??!!!

what kind of damage did it have?

Soldato
The RX6700XT is already a bit overpriced at its RRP,and its street price and availability is going to end up even worse than the Nvidia GPUs. Also essentially this is an overclocked version of the GPU in the PS5(which is also 40CU but has a few disabled for yield purposes).

Power effiency seems to have gone backwards compared to the other RDNA2 GPUs too as it seems to have been pushed to the edge. Let's hope the RX6700 is a better balance.
At the end of the day (imo) its performance relative to the consoles is the biggest indicator of whether or not the prices is good. I don't care if it trades blows with the 3070 if it is only slightly faster than the consoles it just seems like a bad purchase at the rrp.

Soldato
OP
At the end of the day (imo) its performance relative to the consoles is the biggest indicator of whether or not the prices is good. I don't care if it trades blows with the 3070 if it is only slightly faster than the consoles it just seems like a bad purchase at the rrp.

That is my main worry especially with the top dollar being asked for these GPUs.

Associate
So a few interesting notes to take away from this;

Its too expensive for where in the product stack it belongs, mid range, its not priced like it, this should have been the Golden egg for the GPU division for AMD for sales.

So cost and availability aside lets go over what AMD has finally done in a long long long time.

AMD finally has a mid range card out in its product stack, and very importantly it performs actually really well, considering how bad AMD has been in the past if you look at last gen, the 5700 XT was the highest end GPU AMD could bring to the table or brought to market and didn't go up against Nividias high end.

AMD is finally back with its product stack in order with its SKUs.

The mid range of this generation now performs to last gen high end, something AMD has not been able to do for a long time.

This is the GPU to entice people from the RX400/500 cards and the Nvidia 1060 to those aren't brand loyal.

So I am more curious to where the gpus under this performance falls into.

It will be great to have a strong performance GPU that sits on the lower end of the product stack rather then damn meager.

I mean yes we saw the 3070 besting this gpu in a number of titles however most of the results even at 1440P were around a 100 FPS, mean I honestly couldn't give a damn between 100 FPS - 120 FPS if using a 60 FPS monitor and most people still use a 60 Hz monitor.

Soldato
You’re basing this on one AMD optimised title. Try over a range of games, then put it against its competitor, the 3070, then tell me it’s a winner.

As i have done before i will do so again.

The Nvidia cards i owned (4 in total at the time) were faster than the 5700XT in Division 2 but it was not something you could ‘see’ on the screen and coupled with the watercooled performance of RDNA and the great AMD software, it was the better pick.

Nothing has changed for this release in that regard and i fully expect that when i slot these cards into my rig the outcome will be the same, this time however i need to say, the AMD air cooler is a big step on from the 5700XT reference and it looks like it has some sort of parity with the Nvidia reference cooler.

Associate
Rad had some scratches out of the box, was ok with it at first but more I realised that it would affect resale next year that I bailed when offered a collection and full refund so I did. Not all bad, the Nitro is a good card and v v quiet at full chat!

aye you done the right thing.
The Nitro probably looks better in a tight space without all those pipes and wires that come with Strix. That Strix looks a bit messy, unless you put it in a big case.

Soldato
Anyone know what time tomorrow these are going to 'launch', all 5 of them for the entire country presumably :p

I know the price isn't exactly stellar but the performance is ok (especially coming from a 1070) so on the off-chance I can grab one for a vaguely reasonable price I probably will...

Associate
Anyone know what time tomorrow these are going to 'launch', all 5 of them for the entire country presumably :p

I know the price isn't exactly stellar but the performance is ok (especially coming from a 1070) so on the off-chance I can grab one for a vaguely reasonable price I probably will...

2pm I think. I’ll be trying to bag one for my better half, not very optimistic at this point though!

GAC

GAC

Soldato
just watching "the full nerd" from pc world (no not that one) and they have a guy from AMD on and he says he hopes some of the partner cards will break 3ghz Oo

Associate
I'll have to stick with my £320 5700XT Gaming X. Hard to find anything better available, and anything that I can find available can't touch it on price/perf.

What is UK price anyways?

480 dollars = £345 + VAT = £414
+Trump hatesPoohbear tax = £499?

Associate
I'm tempted to try and buy one of these tomorrow if I can find one close to MSRP(big ask I know). Upgrade to my Vega 56.

Originally wanted a 6800xt since upgrading my monitor to 34inch UW 1440p but just not willing to pay the price for one of those. Even the 6800 is a bit steep. I'd had a budget of £750 in mind. Been looking since January.

Can put the saved money aside for the next upgrade in a couple years and between that and what I could get from selling the Vega it doesn't look too bad. The 6800 although in budget doesn't give 40% extra performance(assuming 6700xt near MSRP and seemingly current 6800 prices of £750).

Might still decide against it.

Back
Top Bottom