• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Ryzen 2000 series review thread

Caporegime
I'm not just talking about MCE, Skylake-X, for example the 4.3Ghz 7820-X, it has a TDP of 140 Watts, in MT rendering or Encoding its pulling 180 Watts, that's 40 Watts over TDP, the 7900X also a 140 Watt CPU, it pulls more than 200 Watts... that is nothing to do with MCE, that's just the intelligent boost on the CPU.

The Ryzen 2### CPU's are doing exactly the same thing, for most reviewers including Gamers Nexus Intel boosting over TDP by design is fine, AMD doing the same thing.... now its a debate as to whether or not 'AMD' should be allowed to do that.

Soldato
Thats just whacked.

On my board, I know when I AVX stressed the CPU it TDP throttled, the bios default setting enforced the spec'd TDP.

So if MCE was off and the TDP was still been breached, it suggests something else was off spec in the bios settings to allow it. I do agree of course tho that reviewers should be picking up on it and not just letting it go if they claiming its stock config.

Ok I just loaded XTU so I can grab the setting names, here is a pic with it underlined in yellow, yes I have mine overriden to allow 150w higher than cpu spec, but it defaults to cpu spec on shipped bios on my board.

My guess is these values were non spec on those reviews.

LwiKVsh.png

Last edited:
Caporegime
I suspect reviewers are setting them up like this to get the most out of them.

If Intel tell them, and they do.... "you should be getting #### points in Cinebench / Blender / Handbreak" those reviewers are going to make sure they don't disappoint Intel, its also why they use the best cooling, so that the intelligent boost also works at its best with in the thermal perimeters.

Not one reviewer other than OC3D knew MCE was on by default on ROG boards? Male Bovine Manure! they knew...

Soldato
or what they may have doen is tested overclocked, tuned TPD values to get max performance.

Then did stock tests by setting ratio back and forgot to readjust TDP down. Either way they were careless.

Soldato
Does anyone know of any reviews where 4 sticks of RAM were used? or where 2 and 4 sticks have been compared?

With deals it is cheaper to buy two 2x8Gb kits than one 2x16Gb but reading around Ryzen1 ran better timings/speeds using 2 sticks and I’m wondering if this has been resolved. However all the reviews I’ve read so far have used 2x8Gb.

Soldato
Does anyone know of any reviews where 4 sticks of RAM were used? or where 2 and 4 sticks have been compared?

With deals it is cheaper to buy two 2x8Gb kits than one 2x16Gb but reading around Ryzen1 ran better timings/speeds using 2 sticks and I’m wondering if this has been resolved. However all the reviews I’ve read so far have used 2x8Gb.

Don't know of any reviews, but i have always run 4 sticks of 8GB ram. This is on a CH6 by the way, only got it swapped out for my 1700 about 3 hours ago. Looking very good so far. That is an all core clock, not using this stupid boosting stuff.

23k20w8.jpg

Soldato
Nice. Voltage not too bad either. :) Which bios are you using to CH6, 6004 in screenie?

Yep, 6004. Swapped to it a couple of days ago and i know for a fact it runs my 4 sticks of ram at 3600. Not going or thinking about that at the moment though with the 2700x, just going for the best clock i can get first. We all know from past experience that the fastest ram speed don't always work with the fastest cpu speed.
I think this particular cpu has a bit more left in it yet :D only time will tell though.

Soldato

the ultimate 6 core showdown which doesnt use the ultimate intel 6 core cpu as its entrant LOL

£70 cost difference in favour of the intel chip on this test.

The reviewers not even trying to hide the bias now.

Soldato
Are there any reviews showing the temperature and PBO differences between the prism cooler and a high end air cooler, e.g. Noctua NH-D15?

Caporegime
Are there any reviews showing the temperature and PBO differences between the prism cooler and a high end air cooler, e.g. Noctua NH-D15?

Not that i can see, not with one that high end.

Its a good cooler but it is a box cooler so its not going to compete with high end Air coolers, tho it does quite well against mid range air coolers.

Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 is less than 10% better https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYKlMtiO9YY

Jay compared it with a Noctua NH12 S???????? which is his own words "the impressive thing is the Noctua was only about 5c cooler" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JRY0Ri2VoM

Its actually much more than just a necessary supplied box cooler, its actually every bit as capable as a £30+ cooler, And lost of RGB is you like that sort of thing, its a proper quality thing :)

Edit: actually the Dark Rock Pro 4 is a pretty serious dual fan and tower cooler. its £80 https://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/1378

Soldato
Yeah I imagine it won't make a huge difference but it'd be interesting to see. I have a NH-U12P which is ancient by now but probably not far off the NH-D15S still. It's kinda ugly but I never get windowed cases so don't care.

Caporegime
Yeah I imagine it won't make a huge difference but it'd be interesting to see. I have a NH-U12P which is ancient by now but probably not far off the NH-D15S still. It's kinda ugly but I never get windowed cases so don't care.

When i look at those older Noctua coolers i can't help but be reminded of those Beige Austin Maxi's with the Brown Velour Interior from the 1970's...

very capable tho....

Last edited:
Soldato
It’s a bit late as I bought a D15 from the MM already :D but it would be interesting to see a review compared to the standard cooler. By all accounts the cooler is pretty good but noisy at higher fan rpm’s. So while temperatures may not be massively better, I imagine the noise will be (Well that is my hope anyway).

Soldato
You're right, why would you even post junk like that? why give him the coverage?

Well there is probably people here who dont agree with my opinion on these reviews so I am still helping this thread by adding another review so people can form their own opinion and get more content to watch.

Soldato
What, you're going to find more badly done reviews so that people can waste their time thinking you're posting something good?

That sounds useful.

Back
Top Bottom