• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Ryzen 5 9600X and Ryzen 7 9700X review thread

AMD Ryzen 9000 series now live on OcUK for pre-order:

We expect our stock to land mid next week. :)

If the website shows a "notify me" just go back to the page listing and click pre-order there.

Last edited:
While i never believed the silly rumours i thought they would be faster than this, the efficiency is amazing so i agree with people who say they are perhaps leaning a bit too far that way, i think at 80 Watts they would have been quite a lot better and still with very good efficiency.
People are comparing efficiency to the old zen4 105w CPUs though which is making Zen 5 look better, Steve from HW unboxed said that a 9700X compared to a 7700 is just 7% faster at the same power so not a huge leap in efficiency either.

People are comparing efficiency to the old zen4 105w CPUs though which is making Zen 5 look better, Steve from HW unboxed said that a 9700X compared to a 7700 is just 7% faster at the same power so not a huge leap in efficiency either.

Don't really like HW unboxed but why compare 9700X with 7700? Surely you compare X with X and not X with non X variant? Surely that is skewing the results to show AMD in a bad light.

Would have been helpful if he showed what the actual power being used with each game instead of just FPS, for example he has the 5800x3d down at 120w and i7 14700k at 253w when neither get to that during gaming

And use 4090 instead of the 4080 being a reviewer you'd think he would have one

Last edited:
If the goal really low power and decent grunt the 8700GE is one of the best options at the moment. The issue is if you’re looking at min maxing stand by then the monitor, even keyboard and mouse choice makes a difference.

thanks yeah good idea I was looking at 8700G as another option but wasn't aware of the GE one so will check that, I don't game just surfing/light office/4K YT so still weighing up options.

I could easily snag an 8845HS AMD mini pc for £315 barebones, that would offer decent cpu and gpu performance for daily duties also and be a fair bit cheaper.

I am use to low idles like 7-12 watts and 25-45 watts for low idle usage (YT/Surfing) from mini pcs.

Still not opposed to building an 9700X desktop pc either or similar so will see which way to go.

Don't really like HW unboxed but why compare 9700X with 7700? Surely you compare X with X and not X with non X variant? Surely that is skewing the results to show AMD in a bad light.
Maybe because they are both 65w tdp parts so it’s a closer like for like comparison of zen4 to zen5.

Realistically there is no reason other than the pricing being suspect for why AMD couldn’t have called these new chips the 9600 and 9700 as that is pretty much what we’ve got.

Last edited:
So I don't wanna read through the whole thread, why does this CPU seem so underwhelming? Are reviewers turning on PBO and all that stuff I had to enable in the mobo for my 7800X3d?

Some nice idle and power wattage charts here, even the 7800x3d is doing better overall for watts
7800x3d-even-better.jpg

So I don't wanna read through the whole thread, why does this CPU seem so underwhelming? Are reviewers turning on PBO and all that stuff I had to enable in the mobo for my 7800X3d?

People seem to have expected +25% across the board at 65watts.

Back
Top Bottom