• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Ryzen 5 9600X and Ryzen 7 9700X review thread

Yeah I UV to 1080 from a 1150 stock (clock at 2750Mhz) and run at -10 PL and that is more than fine :cool:

Yeah, i run about the same volts with the power target on default, 0, i have the core set to 3Ghz but it almost never run's above 2.8Ghz, it will if i push the power slider to +15 and that's when it pulls 300 for about +1% in FPS.

I love these Sapphire cards, they are super well made with really good cooling, its not a Nitro, its a Pulse, a 2 fan one at that, tiny cooler, fits in a shoebox case easily and silent, i've actually tuned the fans to run a little faster to keep the edge temp at 60c and the Memory IC's to 75c as its still near inaudible with the higher RPM fans.

IMO on build quality Sapphire are AMD's EVGA.

Last edited:
Yeah, i run about the same volts with the power target on default 0, i have the core set to 3Ghz but it almost never run above 2.8Ghz, it will if i push the power slider to +15 and that's when it pulls 300 for about +1% in FPS.
Have to agree, just not worth the extra power. Runs really well at those settings with everything running cool and cremes pretty much everything at Ultrawide resolution so can't complain!! V v nice card overall, should run even sweeter when I get around to installing this damn 7800X3D kit!

It is frustrating, it really feels like these are straight up "office computer" cpus and enthusiasts should either get the 7800x3d or wait for the 9000x3d

Well they have explicitly said the x3D chips are for gamers, so yeah, these are general purpose. It's no big surprise, AMD said before launch the 7800X3D was still going to be gamer king of the hill until 9000X3D arrived.

Well they have explicitly said the x3D chips are for gamers, so yeah, these are general purpose. It's no big surprise, AMD said before launch the 7800X3D was still going to be gamer king of the hill until 9000X3D arrived.

True.... they have been telling us that all along.

While i never believed the silly rumours i thought they would be faster than this, the efficiency is amazing so i agree with people who say they are perhaps leaning a bit too far that way, i think at 80 Watts they would have been quite a lot better and still with very good efficiency.

I do think the 9800X3D will blow our socks off, rumour is they have been further developing the technology not least so that it doesn't need to run at low clocks.

True.... they have been telling us that all along.

While i never believed the silly rumours i thought they would be faster than this, the efficiency is amazing so i agree with people who say they are perhaps leaning a bit too far that way, i think at 80 Watts they would have been quite a lot better and still with very good efficiency.

I do think the 9800X3D will blow our socks off, rumour is they have been further developing the technology not least so that it doesn't need to run at low clocks.

I suspect after all of the Intel dramas with voltage, power consumption, temperatures, impossibility to cool, and finally chip degredation, management at AMD looked at each other, and basically said, lets go ECO this time around. Intels prior reputation for reliability ('no one ever got fired for buying Intel') held a lot of sway for years.

I don't really blame them, and slightly higher performance, for considerably lower temperatures and power consumption is an easy win for office/business uses cases, and actually still relevant for home users.

If you've ever sat in a home office working or gaming away for 8 hours next to a machine taking the room up to almost 40 degrees ambient because the system is generating a huge amount of heat, you'll know what I mean!

The option however is still there via PBO, even immediately on release, let alone when they've tweaked things for Zen 5 a bit further, to immediately give them more power and let the true IPC come through in multithread.

+20-25% multithread in some cases for same power roughly as last generation is no joke in IPC terms, although there is clearly now a bottleneck in the current IOdie configuration, but the X3D chip will likely not care too much due to clocks and the huge vcache.

Last edited:
I suspect after all of the Intel dramas with voltage, power consumption, temperatures, impossibility to cool, and finally chip degredation, management at AMD looked at each other, and basically said, lets go ECO this time around.

I don't really blame them, and slightly higher performance, for considerably lower temperatures and power consumption is an easy win for office/business uses cases, and actually still relevant for home users.

If you've ever sat in a home office working or gaming away for 8 hours next to a machine taking the room up to almost 40 degrees ambient because the system is generating a huge amount of heat, you'll know what I mean!
In that sense capitalising on Intel's woes, we and the tech jurnoes we watch have a much too narrow view on all of this, we only look at it from our perspective, people burned by Intel, pun intended, will know its something to do with power, its the way they will understand it, AMD can take these chips to those who collectively buy millions of Intel CPU's, because that is what they have done for decades and sell them as the polar opposite, by their understanding, to the extreme, to wow them.

With that AMD are finally cracking that millions up on millions in volume who up to now have always just been buying Intel, just because they always have.

Last edited:
Exactly, that is why I'm trying to look from a wider perspective. Like I say, some, Derbauer (who is a performance/benchmark guy) and even LTT for heaven's sake (who are not the best at benchmarks), managed to do this, but the likes of Gamers Nexus couldn't?
I genuinely found some of the reviews rather disingenous, because it was commonly allowed to throw unlimited power at Intel even the 13th and 14th gens, but now they can't even allow the AMD chip to use what it wants unlocked on PBO (which is on all performance motherboards) to see what all options with the chip look like, but then on default they ignore what it DOES bring to the table because its not massively faster...but its almost half the power consumption and temperature... WHAT???

Something smells fishy, and ignoring the MASSIVE power and thermal reduction (and therefore CPU cooler noise levels), is disingenous for the average user to say the least. Especially outside the US, where most people don't have AC!
This is not only relevant to offices and servers, but to every average user. I feel the likes of Gamers Nexus have really lost sight of that, in the assumption that everyone has AC at home. Errr...not outside the US we don't!

Fine, if you explicitly say the ONLY thing you care about is performance, but most of these reviewers are not saying that, they're saying these chips are a dissapointment, which is short sighted in the extreme IMO.

I'm not an AMD shill, I'm running 12th gen Intel for gods sake, but if gaming was my priority and I was buying now, I'd buy 7800X3D or wait for 9th series AMD X3D, or for general purpose, I'd look to buy in to 9000 series, as they offer competitive performance, and great thermals and power consumption.
Intel offers more multicore than the 9700X, but at drastically higher power consumption and heat, not mentioning the other issues right now (and the coming fixes may well hit performance as we have seen before with mitigations).
The 9950X with unlocked power may well be pretty scary in multithread also.

Last edited:
Exactly, that is why I'm trying to look from a wider perspective. Like I say, some, Derbauer and even LTT for heaven's sake, managed to do this, but the likes of Gamers Nexus couldn't?
I genuinely found some of the reviews rather disingenous, because it was commonly allowed to throw unlimited power at Intel even the 13th and 14th gens, but now they can't even allow the AMD chip to use what it wants unlocked on PBO (which is on all performance motherboards) to see what all options with the chip look like, but then on default they ignore what it DOES bring to the table because its not massively faster...but its almost half the power consumption and temperature... WHAT???

Something smells fishy, and ignoring the MASSIVE power and thermal reduction, is disingenous for the average user to say the least. Especially outside the US, where most people don't have AC!

I like Steve, i have a huge amount of respect for him, he does some really very very good work and more often than not at his companies expense.

Having said that he, like a lot of these Youtubers are worried about Intel, in the sense that they see them not able to keep up with AMD and fear AMD becoming Intel of 10 years ago with Intel becoming AMD of 10 years ago, so while while people like Steve do their journalistic duty on holding Intel account, which i think they are, they are also being deliberately mooted in AMD's success to help slow AMD running away with it.

Whilst I get the point of that, it's disingenuous to not celebrate what AMD does well, and criticize what it does badly; or to look at things from a broader sense for your average home users to give a balanced outlook. Journalistic objectivity should come before that IMO.
It is not a good review to criticise a chip, without appropriately acknowledging and celebrating what it does right, regardless of who makes it.

In the past they celebrated AMDs efficiency gains vs Intel, now it's barely a footnote despite almost halving power consumption and thermals in a single generational move, which is incredibly impressive. It just doesn't translate to completely honest feedback and reviews IMO, and I was dissapointed in Gamers Nexus more than most, because often they're so good at that. This time around they didnt even bother with PBO.

Last edited:
Whilst I get the point of that, it's disingenuous to not celebrate what AMD does well, and criticize what it does badly; or to look at things from a broader sense for your average home users to give a balanced outlook. Journalistic objectivity should come before that IMO.
It is not a good review to criticise a chip, without appropriately acknowledging and celebrating what it does right, regardless of who makes it.

In the past they celebrated AMDs efficiency gains vs Intel, now it's barely a footnote despite almost halving power consumption and thermals in a single generational move, which is incredibly impressive. It just doesn't translate to completely honest feedback and reviews IMO, and I was dissapointed in Gamers Nexus more than most, because often they're so good at that. This time around they didnt even bother with PBO.

Yeah, you're right, and the irony here is they didn't care about any of this when AMD was staring down the barrel of the shotgun, in fact they just continued to ridicule them, make them the butt of their jokes, and i hate that hypocrisy, its why a lot of people accuse them of just hating AMD, they don't IMO but they do have a blind side when it comes to AMD. AMD are really strugling on the GPU side against Nvidia, they are staring down the shotgun barrel on the GPU side but they don't extend the same curtesy to AMD where they need it. And it matters for the same reason, the hypocrisy just continues...

To be fair to HUB, his criticism seems to be more on pricing which is a much fairer complaint.
He highlights that even compared to the more efficient 7700 (not X), the 9700X is still 7% faster at the same power consumption multithread. In the past we'd have been thrilled at more than 5% with Intel, so I think that seems like a fairer point.

I'm much more dissapointed with GN than HUB.

Back
Top Bottom