• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Ryzen 5 9600X and Ryzen 7 9700X review thread

As the 9000 series quickly becomes the 'gold standard' for consumer and corperate PC's alike many of the self taught tech tubers will be saying 'yeah we knew that all along, here is our new video etc etc. LOL

I don't always see eye to eye with Leo at Kitguru, but I think his opinion at the start of the video about the 9600x/9700x is bang on; because objectively he's being completely truthful, performance is similar, but power and thermals are much better; and I suspect because of that the x3D will be fantastic.

As a general purpose CPU, which AMD has said they ARE, they look fantastic. Great single threaded performance, low power and heat, and decent multithread, with more in the tank if you want to push power and thermals higher. (and based on Derbauer, there might even be OC headroom). They're NOT aimed at people upgrading from Zen 4 on AM5, because only a tiny percentage do that. They're not aimed at gamers, that's what x3D is for. They're aimed at EVERYONE else.

People who care about power, or heat (and therefore also acoustics) are going to love these.

Last edited:
So the general feeling is these are low power version designed for multitasking and office computer use? The x3d will be the focus for gamers and there is nothing in the pipe work for enthusiasts? Where do video editors / number crunchers fit in to AMD's product plan?

So the general feeling is these are low power version designed for multitasking and office computer use? The x3d will be the focus for gamers and there is nothing in the pipe work for enthusiasts? Where do video editors / number crunchers fit in to AMD's product plan?

I’m sure someone feels that way, but all of the Ryzen range will do a great job for those types of the workloads.

The 9600x and 9700x are efficiency/general compute orientated. They offer slightly better performance than last gen AMD, but at 2/3 the power, and about 30-40 degrees less heat. Substantially better really when you think about it, and thats why people taking a broader look at the 'big picture' seem to quite like them. They're not BAD at anything really, just people are confused that they're not much faster than Zen 7000, ignoring the big power, heat and efficiency moves.

Gamers should probably wait for X3D, production should wait for the 12/16 core parts out in a week or so to see how they look as they will be more aimed at thread heavy workloads and higher single core out the box anyway.

Last edited:
pretty much just like the 7600 and 7700 non x were last year. From an ITX perspective I am hoping these will be good for smaller builds as the 7600x and 7700x were pretty hot without a lot of tweaking. Obviously the 7800x3d is still going to be the gaming chip of choice for the time being. Wonder if the 9800x3d will offer anything over it as the 7800x3d is already a cool running low power chip

Later today as I understand. Availability is usually early afternoon if I remember these releases previously.
Probably will go straight to out of stock :D. I remember the days OCUK staff would interact more around releases but can't even find a mention of ZEN5 from staff.
Anyway, probably around 2pm I think should appear, if available.

Last edited:

Service based businesses are laptop first esp in hybrid workforces. The desktop replacements are based on refresh cycles and general cpu usage on that will much cheaper in 4 core range. It’s price driven refreshes, based on the oem’s offerings within their budget window.

These are DIY enthusiast class chips along with higher end Pre built gaming PC’s. You’ll have a very small subset of Linux users and workstation users who will wait on 12/16 variants anyhow if not Epyc.

Ofcourse anyone knowledgeable in the DIY space will get a x3d variant.

The street price already makes them uncompetitive against the 7000series esp in US where deals can be had on 7000series. 9600 and 9700 are not good products. Plain and simple.

Last edited:
The 9600x and 9700x are efficiency/general compute orientated. They offer slightly better performance than last gen AMD, but at 2/3 the power, and about 30-40 degrees less heat. Substantially better really when you think about it, and thats why people taking a broader look at the 'big picture' seem to quite like them. They're not BAD at anything really, just people are confused that they're not much faster than Zen 7000, ignoring the big power, heat and efficiency moves.

Gamers should probably wait for X3D, production should wait for the 12/16 core parts out in a week or so to see how they look as they will be more aimed at thread heavy workloads and higher single core out the box anyway.
Thank you for the clear and concise summary. I have been reading page after page of "reviews" which seem to yo-yo widely between "best thing ever" and "ZEN 5 is dead". i was hoping for more given the AMD Hype tour, i guess next week might deliver the extra oomph.

Thank you for the clear and concise summary. I have been reading page after page of "reviews" which seem to yo-yo widely between "best thing ever" and "ZEN 5 is dead". i was hoping for more given the AMD Hype tour, i guess next week might deliver the extra oomph.

Kitguru's is one of the most balanced I've heard, which they succintly put as same performance, considerably less power and heat, or a decent bit more performance at the same power once unlocked. (whilst still using WELL under 200W, aka WELL below Intel consumption).

I think next week's Ryzen 9 and the x3D are going to be more up your street. Zen 5 actually seems like a decent performer, but the 9600/9700x are both tweaked with efficiency and the average user in mind.

@Robert896r1 - I think you'll find that these will probably do quite well with OEMs, given Intel's recent issues, and the very good efficiency numbers, contracts allowing. I've seen an increased number of AMD chips in OEM machines in recent months, and I think AMD are very much targetting the lower power, lower heat, efficiency crowd with this release to try and peel users and contracts away from Intel.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom