• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Ryzen 5 9600X and Ryzen 7 9700X review thread

Did it really need the petulant stomping feet reply?

Fact is if/when you include all the low desktop power and laptop derived chips if you really want to go down that route for the actual CPU power Intel is better, when you include motherboard and RAM, etc. the whole system power consumption at the wall isn't much different and comes down to PSU and motherboard efficiency.

Fact is it’s somewhat of an irrelevant metric as I’ve said. Maybe you should change that, just don’t be surprised if AMD respond.

7800x3d is selling well 30+ in the past two days it looks like at overclockers.
I’d imagine a lot of people were holding off for Zen 5 but because new Zen5 chips are rubbish for gaming and way overpriced they went and got the 7800X3D instead.

Fact is it’s somewhat of an irrelevant metric as I’ve said. Maybe you should change that, just don’t be surprised if AMD respond.

You said AMD are years ahead - even when you include the likes of the 8700GE if you include the equivalent Intel low power desktop or laptop/mobile derived parts it isn't true and clearly the context here is the mainstream desktop parts where it certainly isn't true. (Also unfortunately the link above is using the 8700 in a motherboard suited to the role while the other CPUs are on differing enthusiast class boards so direct comparison is a little flawed).

I’d imagine a lot of people were holding off for Zen 5 but because new Zen5 chips are rubbish for gaming and way overpriced they went and got the 7800X3D instead.

They must have come to that conclusion months ago. They must watch brilliant YouTube tech influencers.

Zen 5 is a big upgrade for server/AI workloads. The new EPIC chips will sell very well, low power, high performance for severs/AI. For desktops, as good as Zen 4 with better overclocking if that's your thing.

Last edited:
Zen architecture is first and foremost designed for EPYC CPUs and scaled down to us desktop users.
AMD did the right thing here and focused on efficiency and server/AI workloads, they don't need to compete with Intel anymore but Nvidia/Qualcomm/Apple/Google ARM designs.

This is not an upgrade meant for Zen 4 users but mainly to lure Zen 2/3 and disgruntle Intel users to upgrade. The performance and efficiency is there for the productivity users, gamers and heavy load users should wait for the X3D or higher end parts.
Current Zen 5 offerings look to be amazing for SSF and small office builds, I'm looking forward for the rest of the lineup.

Zen architecture is first and foremost designed for EPYC CPUs and scaled down to us desktop users.
AMD did the right thing here and focused on efficiency and server/AI workloads, they don't need to compete with Intel anymore but Nvidia/Qualcomm/Apple/Google ARM designs.

This is not an upgrade meant for Zen 4 users but mainly to lure Zen 2/3 and disgruntle Intel users to upgrade. The performance and efficiency is there for the productivity users, gamers and heavy load users should wait for the X3D or higher end parts.
Current Zen 5 offerings look to be amazing for SSF and small office builds, I'm looking forward for the rest of the lineup.
It’s barely any better than zen 4 though in performance or efficiency, for anyone on zen 3 like myself who choose to skip zen4 then zen5 offers nothing extra except a lighter wallet.

It’s barely any better than zen 4 though in performance or efficiency, for anyone on zen 3 like myself who choose to skip zen4 then zen5 offers nothing extra except a lighter wallet.
Nobody's forcing you to buy it though?

If you're on a decent Zen 3 chip anyway (e.g. any 8 core or above, with or without 3D cache), then even if you look at 14th gen Intel chips, there's not a huge wow performance increase to sway you that way either

Nobody's forcing you to buy it though?

If you're on a decent Zen 3 chip anyway (e.g. any 8 core or above, with or without 3D cache), then even if you look at 14th gen Intel chips, there's not a huge wow performance increase to sway you that way either
I'd like to upgrade though as I get some bottlenecking on my 4090 so the plan was to hang on till the 9000X3D but if those turn out no better then I feel like I've just wasted my time waiting when I could have got a 7800X3D at the end of last year.

People tend to correlate the performance of a CPU based on cinebench or gaming fps as this is what the average tech youtuber shovels in our faces.

Have a look at the video above to realise that in some workflows the 9700x tops even the 14900k & 7950.

My workflows tend to benefit from avx512 and performance gains in compilations and python libraries. If your usages don’t see a benefit then more power to you, nobody is forcing you to upgrade.

People tend to correlate the performance of a CPU based on cinebench or gaming fps as this is what the average tech youtuber shovels in our faces.

Have a look at the video above to realise that in some workflows the 9700x tops even the 14900k & 7950.

My workflows tend to benefit from avx512 and performance gains in compilations and python libraries. If your usages don’t see a benefit then more power to you, nobody is forcing you to upgrade.
The reason why tech tubers focus on that is because that's what the majority of their audience are interested in, not the 1% that care about AVX512 or python compiling.

The reason why tech tubers focus on that is because that's what the majority of their audience are interested in, not the 1% that care about AVX512 or python compiling.
Companies, where the fat margins lay, will beg you differ. AMD focuses first on EPYC not in gaming CPUs that’s why you got AVX512 and AI optimised workflows and not 5% increase for your games.

This is the norm as we go forward, all companies are adding NPUs and AI stuff gamers will need to accept that.

Except there ARE positive changes in the architecture, and that could bode well for x3D and higher power limit parts when they arrive :)
Bare in mind these Zen 5 CPUs are lower priced than Zen 4 was when it came out, they've just not benefited from the [pricing] slide over time yet.

I'm not defending the lack of movement in overall performance for the average user, more that these current releases are more eco mode general purpose and look great for SFF/general purpose machines, and we've not seen the higher production OR gaming CPUs from this generation yet. The changes and improvements could work really nicely with that big ol' VCache but we won't know until we see it, especially if they give it a bit more power etc.

Imagine however the X3D parts also come out cheaper, and due to the improvements and the big VCache, they DO move forward considerably. Would you still be complaining?
Ultimately the 9600/9700X are tuned as low power, general purpose replacements for Zen 4. We've yet to see the parts tuned for performance (productivity) or gaming workloads yet, and recent rumours had x3D not all THAT far behind, so we're likely going to see before Christmas.

Last edited:
Companies, where the fat margins lay, will beg you differ. AMD focuses first on EPYC not in gaming CPUs that’s why you got AVX512 and AI optimised workflows and not 5% increase for your games.

This is the norm as we go forward, all companies are adding NPUs and AI stuff gamers will need to accept that.
AI is just the latest fad, none of the big tech companies which have invested heavily in AI chips mainly from Nvidia have actually made any real money out it yet, the wheels are already starting to fall off.

Also if they are not aimed at gamers then maybe AMD needs to change the marketing on its product page as it looks to me like they are marketing it as a "Gaming Processor"

Last edited:
AI is just the latest fad, none of the big tech companies which have invested heavily in AI chips mainly from Nvidia have actually made any real money out it yet, the wheels are already starting to fall off.

Also if they are not aimed at gamers then maybe AMD needs to change the marketing on its product page as it looks to me like they are marketing it as a "Gaming Processor"

I couldn't disagree more

Back
Top Bottom