• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Ryzen 5 9600X and Ryzen 7 9700X review thread

Who'd have thought the market now needs Intel to keep AMD honest? :)
If indeed these are equivalent to non-X CPU's, if there's a surplus of better chips later, maybe there will be a 9650X/9750X

Requested cancellation of my order, something I was reluctant to do. Rushed launch, reviews all over the place including around efficiency. Will see how things mature. For a work/office machine with occasional gaming it would have been fine but will see if something better comes along or if bios revisions change the landscape somewhat, if prices drop. And see what competition Intel brings.

My punishment is I'll keep the SSD that's coming today that I ordered separately to go with the system. Will put it to use in an existing system for now and utilise later when decide what to upgrade to. 8 cores is enough for the intended purpose of the machine but will see how the 9900X shapes up too.

Last edited:
Really weird behaviour on these chips. In traditional Windows based benchmarks Zen 5 barely moves the needle from Zen 4 but in Linux it Godzilla stomps over everything

https://www.phoronix.com/review/ryzen-9600x-9700x/10 (checkout the database numbers as well)

It would be nice if someone from AMD could come out and explain exactly what's going on

That's some pretty good performance, critically its much better than the 7700X which just doesn't show up on Windows at all, and if you look what you will also see is AMD just stomps all over Intel in Linux anyway.

Windows just ____ sucks, yet another reason to switch to Linux.

Oh dear golden opportunity for AMD to take advantage of Intel being in a right old mess and we basically get a slight rehash of 7000 series non 'x' 65W TDP chips rebranded as the more expensive chips!

9700XT with a 100w+ tdp incoming down the line maybe?

Can't see that the x3d chips will be much better.

Hopefully we'll get at least one if not two more gens out of AM5 to provide a worthwhile upgrade from the 7800x3d I have now.

Oh dear golden opportunity for AMD to take advantage of Intel being in a right old mess and we basically get a slight rehash of 7000 series non 'x' 65W TDP chips rebranded as the more expensive chips!

9700XT with a 100w+ tdp incoming down the line maybe?

Can't see that the x3d chips will be much better.

Hopefully we'll get at least one if not two more gens out of AM5 to provide a worthwhile upgrade from the 7800x3d I have now.

It depends on which review you watch, more than one, a few shows them as zero change from the previous gen while others, a few show them as pretty good, as good as AMD's own slides.

We are now in a situation where what you make of the product depends entirely on which review you watch, that's a new trend and not a good one.

That's some pretty good performance, critically its much better than the 7700X which just doesn't show up on Windows at all, and if you look what you will also see is AMD just stomps all over Intel in Linux anyway.

Suggests Zen 5 was probably targeted at data centers, servers and cloud platforms given Linux's dominance in that area rather than home consumers.

Still though there's still a chance that the X3D may unlock all that Zen 5 goodness.

How many of these click bait videos have they made in the last 24 hours? 4, 5? Yes this is getting stupid.

Once they get a stick up their ass about something they drone on and on and on and on about it. Apparently it's impossible to condense the amount of whining they have to expel to a single video. The other 9 series chips have yet to be released, so whinging guaranteed to the end of the year at minimum.

Once they get a stick up their ass about something they drone on and on and on and on about it. Apparently it's impossible to condense the amount of whining they have to expel to a single video. The other 9 series chips have yet to be released, so whinging guaranteed to the end of the year at minimum.
Steve Walton has some sort of head issue.

About a year maybe a bit more ago Lisa Sue joked with some Microsoft guy that he was tight, he said why would i buy a gaming PC when an XBox is better value, to which Lisa jibed no its because you're tight, it was quite funny.

Steve Walton made 3 videos about that in two days, in which he red faced argued that reading between the lines this meant that she implied PC gamers are tight, how you arrive at that conclusion only he in his head knows... those videos were then justification for him to spend the next 2 weeks relentlessly spamming Lisa Sue's personal Twitter account demanding she respond to his line of questioning.

At that point i unsubscribed from him because that's.... well the last time i described that sort of behaviour on this forum i got in to a lot of trouble so i wont do it again.

Last edited:

About a year maybe a bit more ago Lisa Sue joked with some Microsoft guy that he was tight, he said why would i buy a gaming PC when an XBox is better value, to which Lisa jibed no its because you're tight, it was quite funny.

Steve Walton made 3 videos about that in two days, in which he red faced argued that reading between the lines this meant that she implied PC gamers are tight, how you arrive at that conclusion only he in his head knows... those videos were then justification for him to spend the next 2 weeks relentlessly spamming Lisa Sue's personal Twitter account demanding she respond to his line of questioning.

At that point i unsubscribed from him because that's.... well the last time i described that sort of behaviour on this forum i got in to a lot of trouble so i wont do it again.

I remember something about him spamming an amd account, didn't know the whole back story. Sounds more than a little odd.

Just for clicks $$$$$$ but tbf good when showing benchmarks across gpus and CPUs don't need to watch the rest or have audio on

Last edited:
Why is it so complicated? AMD obviously cut the TDP a lot last second, or boost behaviour and so performance is far below the original slides.

Turn PBO on and you get a massive jump in performance.

Last edited:

maybe, just maybe Intel have closer ties with Microsoft than Linux. Look at all of those Windows updates when Intel introduced their 'e-cores'.

He has a business to run and staff to pay at the end of day, if he can make some money calling out AMD on their mistakes then so be it. I watched the video and tbh there wasn't anything wrong or misleading with what's being said and probably reflects the feelings of what a lot of people are feeling right now.

With a time machine?

Intel are gonna face a class action potentially worth billions. AMD probably thought it was worth the small backlash of changing specs.

don't think it's worth it because it's only gonna come back and bite them reviews come out before release

Shame because the CPU side the slides used to be good , looks like the GPU team is also doing the slides for the CPU as well

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom