• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Ryzen 5 9600X and Ryzen 7 9700X review thread

And when you need stuff for multi threaded stuff not sure buying 6/8 cores is the play 2024

These without x3d not sure what's the point , all comes down to pricing which doesn't look great right now

Again, it depends. The 9000 has very impressive multi core gains, just not constantly across all work types and in every situation.

I think performance per watt is a good thing to look at but when you're pulling <150W anyway then reducing that probably doesn't impress a huge portion of potential buyers, certainly not me, I'd prefer it to hit 150W and have it run X% faster (depending on X)

I mean, 60W is 60W but even with current electricity pricing that's something like 30p if running full tilt 24hrs a day. Heat is a consideration but again 90/150W is it really THAT much of an issue for most people? some yeah, likely not most.

Last edited:
Efficiency in some use cases is very impressive. A key issue I think is the price. Should have displaced the 9700X/9600X at the same price point those are currently at, given the performance is on balance probably only a little better than the now nearly 2 year old 7700X/7600X.
Maybe there's more to come. Feels like they've been a bit conservative with the setup at present.
While it's easy to laugh at the problems Intel are having, power consumption aside, their 14th/13th is still there in multi-threaded uses.

Last edited:
Tbf the 5800X3D is still looking damn good even today!!! :cool:
Remember waiting for zen4 to come out and upgrade from my 3700x but didn't seem worth it given if need mboard and dddr5 as well so plan B was to wait for the 5800x3d to drop to £250 ... I think it got to £265 and I caved and got one. Think I'll be sticking with that (on my aging B350 mboard!) for some time longer.

Bah. So basically for the 9700X they have smashed effeciency but cut back too munch on performance. Talking a few percent up to around 10% in certain things. I think I'll keep my 7600 for now. :) As GN says it is a "meh" CPU. Just on the point of stability as well, it does appear to be a BIOS "thing" because ASRock for example have released 3 BIOS updates before this CPU even launched.
I am hopping they unleash more power on the X3D chips, these however will be amazing cpu's, or their respective mobile parts, for laptops and small form factor.

Last edited:
LTT review although calling out the general 'meh' ness is far more positive than most other reviewers for some reason.

EDIT: Ha! jinx ^^

Last edited:
I am hopping they unleash more power on the X3D chips, these however will be amazing cpu's, or their respective mobile parts, for laptops and small form factor.
I said in the Zen 5 thread and it's more rumors but unless the 9800X3D has something new the 7800X3D doesn't I'm expecting it to bench simillar to the 7600X/7700X vs the 9600X/9700X.

The only redeaming thing about the 9600X/9700X seems is the power consumption but I guess thats why they didn't turn it up otherwise there's little to talk about though the power consumption thing also doesn't matter when you can get a 7XXX processor for less.

Presentationally more upbeat but seems to be pretty much the same message, efficiency good, performance uplift meh, get an x3d chip for gaming... I wonder if it's just a case of most other reviewers were up all night bench marking before they recorded their reviews and he just got send a spreadsheet by his team.

Last edited:
Efficiency in some use cases is very impressive. A key issue I think is the price. Should have displaced the 9700X/9600X at the same price point those are currently at, given the performance is on balance probably only a little better than the now nearly 2 year old 7700X/7600X.
Maybe there's more to come. Feels like they've been a bit conservative with the setup at present.
While it's easy to laugh at the problems Intel are having, power consumption aside, their 14th/13th is still there in multi-threaded uses.

Intel use 14, 20 and 24 core CPUs to compete against, 8, 12 and 16 cores parts. Now even 6 core Zen parts are getting into the mix.

Die size is supposed to have shrunk from 71.0mm² to 70.6mm². So basically the same.
TPU says:
AMD is building these on the TSMC 4 nm EUV node, specifically N4P. This new node is advertised by TSMC to offer a 22% reduction in power over the 5 nm N5 node that the company builds its Zen 4 chiplets on. Besides this power reduction, the node offers a 6% performance improvement, and likewise a 6% increase in transistor-density.
So at most 6% more transistors. So impressive that they managed to gain as much FP and AVX512 as they did but the whole design says
AMD penny-pinching strikes again!
Looking at Zen4 dies shots (since this is the same size) I get things like this:
67HCNVx.jpeg

I am sure with some moving of a few bits, they could easily have squeezed 90mm² into each CCD. Or even 80mm².

Whereas a 80mm² or 90mm² part could have squeezed in more int resources, or more cache. And the die costs wouldn't have been that much more (at $15,000 per 4NP wafer, about an extra $6 per CCD).

Point being, penny-wise might have been pound-foolish if the penny-pinching ended up with a part which doesn't sell as well.

No one tested idle power if any difference :rolleyes:
TPU did although you have to scroll down:
onDPpSv.png

On the one hand I'm glad to see the 5800X3D keeping up, even if I am using it with DDR4 3200 RAM on my x470 board (I upgraded from a 3700X for £280 or so a couple of years ago). I won't be upgrading any time soon except maybe some DDR4 max speed RAM.

But at the same time, I am getting starting to genuinely think we're reaching a point where we won't ever see meaningful performance improvements at the same power consumption again (in GPUs either). I assume because in the old days node jumps were like 90nm to 65nm to 45nm i.e. huge jumps and now we're like 7 to 5 to 3nm...

It's insane to me that every time AMD get the chance to really make a big impact they manage to fall flat on their face. Doesn't matter if it's GPU or CPU, they just seem to squander these opportunities every time.
I have to wonder when the next big performance increase will come, excluding the x3D chips.. As for Intel, who knows what they're doing.
/AMD launch pricing says Hi...
Yep pretty poor, will come down in just some weeks/months no doubt.

Nothing to add to the general consensus: unexciting performance, impressive efficiency.

As Steve from GN said perhaps they should have sacrificed some of the efficiency for more performance over the previous gen.

Still, not long ago I recommended that two of my mates go ahead and get 7800X3D's as the initial round of 9000's won't leapfrog it, and as anticipated that was good advice.

I wonder whether the 9800X3D will even offer a meaningful performance boost over that CPU?

On the one hand I'm glad to see the 5800X3D keeping up, even if I am using it with DDR4 3200 RAM on my x470 board (I upgraded from a 3700X for £280 or so a couple of years ago). I won't be upgrading any time soon except maybe some DDR4 max speed RAM....

You might want to look into that before you do, X3D doesn't benefit as much from high speed memory as much as non X3D chips do. I think HUB did a video on it recently.

I mean it'll do something, but I'm almost, kinda sure X3Ds don't care as much.

HUB definitely have a video oncsingle/dual rank though and I think it might have DDR4 specific scaling for mem speed as part of it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom