[OcUK Staff Builds] rjkoneill's FT01

Soldato
That new Dominator cooler looks great, but I bet it would need shoehorned in alongside a large CPU cooler!

Looking really good now that it's all finished, and love the new screen!

I have almost finished the prep on mine, now if only I could be bothered to rip everything out of my old case and start installing stuff again! Oh I hate it, it's such a painstaking task! But needs must.

The Kama with mesh similar style to the stock mesh is now installed. Having the Noctua fan behind it does nothing for the asthetics as you can see through the filter a little, but it's not too bad. Considering installing a slightly thicker filter to better hide it.

However I may end up changing it again though, I'm going to contact Silverstone and see if they will supply me with a spare mesh panel, but not holding my breath on that!

I may even just take it out altogether and replace the bay covers, but they are a pretty poor match to the finish of the case, and i'm not sure if I would lose out on any cooling capacity.

I'll post some pics in the next day or so of where I am thus far.

Soldato
re: PSU, just was wondering, wasn't doubting your arrangement! :p

I'm loving your set up!
its looking very similar to mine once I get the 2443 (tomorrow?), same keyboard, WD drive too!
Impressive build though mate, you really notice a difference with the new dom cooler?
Oh and I was actually considering a pair of those creative's... how do you find them? cheers

Associate
hi guys

im back again with a little update - just some more minor adjustments and a few pics really

got a triple channel dominator fan on my ram now - it really fills up the case

my opinion is that you should not be able to see the motherboard in any high end computer as it should be obstructed by graphics cards and other such things :D

its linked up to the zalman fan controller and is really quiet even on full whack
i was dismissive of the old dominator cooler as it was a noisy pile of rubbish - but this one is a marked improvement

im thinking after a few weeks i might take it out and mod it :)

i got a solid SLI connector rather than the ribbon thing that comes with the board - i wanted it black so i am going to spray it when i get round to it

also i decided a while back that gaming at 1680*1050 was a waste for a pair of 280's
so i made a compromise - didnt want a huge monitor but 1920*1200 looked more and more appealing and it was too tempting to let my system stretch its legs properly

my new samsung 24" takes up similar space to my old 22" and is a joy to game on
whacking everything on max res with max AA&AF is very nice :)

DSC00566.jpg

im going to have to stop spending money now as i have a very poorly car and need to get it back into good condition so i can get to work!

enjoy - comments welcome as usual!

I've got the same monitor, speakers, and external HD as you - shame I'm missing the rest of the rig :D

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
That new Dominator cooler looks great, but I bet it would need shoehorned in alongside a large CPU cooler!

yeah we got one on a rapage2 with a noctua cooler at work today and it is literally half a mm away!

im going to mod it soon maybe if i come up with any ideas for it

looking forward to seeing yours take shape dude! - be sure to post your pics :D

nice clean build, is the i7 chip not a little hot on a single rad

24/7 = 3.8GHz i get 40'c idle, 75'C load [8 hours prime]
190 BCLK * 19 Multi @ 1.344V

benchmarking = 4GHz i get 40'c idle, 85'c Load [8 hours prime]
[fans on full] 200BCLK * 20 Multi @ 1.45V

i dont need 4ghz it just gives a nice boost to benchmark runs so i dont bother normally
speedstep is good but turbo mode stops being useful for me after 3.8GHz
just get instabliity and bsod's

its not bad for a single rad
when i got the case i had a 45nm quad then a e8600 an neither got hot - wasnt planning the i7 otherwise i would have got a TJ07/mountain mods and whacked a double tfc rad on there and put the graphics cards on a triple

re: PSU, just was wondering, wasn't doubting your arrangement! :p

Impressive build though mate, you really notice a difference with the new dom cooler?
Oh and I was actually considering a pair of those creative's... how do you find them? cheers

no worries! ;)
cheers for the comments - the dominator cooler i cant measure a temp drop as i dont have any means of meausing my memory temp - however the cooler pushes a lot of air even on low fan settings
on full my NB temps drop by 5'c so its pushing air onto my board which is always a bonus in any watercooled build

the creative t20s are brilliant speakers - great for if you dont have the luxury of being anti social - i tend to game with a headset though and use the t20's for music

i was seriously shocked at how good they sound!

mjd

mjd

Associate
A quick Q regarding the installation of your rad. Following reading your post I added some radiator mounts into my A7010 build and just wondered whether you are sucking or blowing (oo-er) through the fan grill?

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
it is sucking into the case - cold air from outside

im thinking of adding another fan to the other side of the rad

see if it improves the temps of the i7 on max load

i can bench it at 4.2GHz so it would be nice to get that more stable

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
nah - the p6t has a lovely layout for dual card sli

meaning it has a slot worth of space between the two cards allowing better airflow

in fact the top card runs around 80'c at full load using furmark

whereas the bottom card peaks at around 75'c

they get more than enough airflow from the big 180mm fan at the front

Soldato
Quick question for you mate, given that you have worked with this case for a while now and have seen what the airflow can do, what way would you advise me to install the Lian-Li BS-08....intake or exhaust?

I was thinking of having it as an intake, pushing more air towards the graphics card, but the only slight issue I see with this is that it would be drawing in some of the hot air exhausted from the PSU, but you have worked with the case for a while, so maybe you have some advice?

Oh btw, did I mention that the BS-08 is mahoosive?! :eek:

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
Quick question for you mate, given that you have worked with this case for a while now and have seen what the airflow can do, what way would you advise me to install the Lian-Li BS-08....intake or exhaust?

I was thinking of having it as an intake, pushing more air towards the graphics card, but the only slight issue I see with this is that it would be drawing in some of the hot air exhausted from the PSU, but you have worked with the case for a while, so maybe you have some advice?

Oh btw, did I mention that the BS-08 is mahoosive?! :eek:

wow - aint seen one of those before - GET PICS!!!

i would go exhaust tbh
just because it will only suck already hot air from the outside of the case [ where it exhausts] back onto your card

Soldato
wow - aint seen one of those before - GET PICS!!!

i would go exhaust tbh
just because it will only suck already hot air from the outside of the case [ where it exhausts] back onto your card

Thanks for that, and of course, I had changed it to intake!! Oh well, time to reverse the fans again ;)

It is a stunning piece of kit to be fair, very nicely built indeed, but it is huge. It will be around the same length as my mobo!!

Oh, here's a couple of pics I took of it, bear in mind that it comes with 2 fans just thrown inside it, the wires were like a rat's nest, and nothing done to match the length of the wires either!!....

before:
IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

after some braiding and wire length sorting:
IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

...i'll post up some pics once I finally get everything installed. This has been such a slow build, but I have been determined to get it just how I want it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice, does it make a huge difference in temps?

I've not got the system up and running yet, so can't comment on that. Hope to have everything working by Tuesday/Wednesday, so i'll update once I have tested everything.

Plan to try without it installed, then with it as exhaust, and finally with it as an intake to see what gets the best gains.

It really is a well finished product, although what I have noticed is that after a couple of screw removals, the black is wearing off a little around the holes. Nothing too major though.

Soldato
I've not got the system up and running yet, so can't comment on that. Hope to have everything working by Tuesday/Wednesday, so i'll update once I have tested everything.

Plan to try without it installed, then with it as exhaust, and finally with it as an intake to see what gets the best gains.

It really is a well finished product, although what I have noticed is that after a couple of screw removals, the black is wearing off a little around the holes. Nothing too major though.

I am kind of leaning towards it being better as an intake fan if you have a dual slot cooler on your graphics card. Single slot would probably be better with it as an exhaust fan.

Soldato
I am kind of leaning towards it being better as an intake fan if you have a dual slot cooler on your graphics card. Single slot would probably be better with it as an exhaust fan.

Funny, I thought it might be better as an intake, but then as rjkoneill rightly says, it would draw in the hot air exhausted from the PSU below.

We'll see what happens when it's all running. Should be interesting.

Associate
Question about htat EK Supreme block you using - is it really that restrictive? did you notice huge prsure drops? IS this sth that I should worry about before I use it in nulti block loop with DDC 10W pump?

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
keen on seeing that cooler up and running

i have no space for such luxuries - great sleeving work though!

-

in ref to phinix's comment

the ek supreme is a pretty good block

the way i see it - a waterblock is a waterblock

pick the one you like the look of

its the rad that matters

a 10w may struggle with a few blocks and a large rad

Back
Top Bottom