Caporegime
OP
got my thermochill triple rad in tonight

some interesting results for you

pics of the rig coming soon - its a bit of a mess at the moment

4200stable.jpg

4200prime.jpg

Associate
Hi, from what I've read I'm having the same troubles as you and a couple of others did in getting a Lian-Li fan grille to fit in the 5.25" bays. So you just literally used a rubber mallet to 'persuade' the unit in? Hmm, I'm not sure if mine will go even with that - I did manage to get one side in but the front of the grille started to 'bow' inwards and at that point I go scared for my lovely new bits! (Altho i was just using hands for this...)

I think I'll go out and but a rubber 'persuader' then and try it your way! Fingers crossed it works - but I guess I'm gonna be better off removing mobo and mechanical HDD's first just in case!

Any other tips on getting this in would be greatly appreciated. I'm planning on using the 3.5" adaptors I bought to put the 2 Sammy F1's in the bays behind the grille & fan - I know you've put a rad behind it so I guess there's enough room?

Anyway, awesome looking build there, and credit to you as your build was a factor in choosing this case myself. Thanks again! :)

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
cool - good to hear :)

theres loads of room behind the grille
mine is empty at the moment as i have a triple radiator on the back of the case now

i sanded one side of the grille down a little and put lots of masking tape on to protect it

it was a case of taking as much time as possible in order to not mess it up

when you use the mallet to push it in

little tiny taps are key to success - if you see the grille start to bend then tap somewhere else to straighten it up

it does fit but take your time and it will end up looking great

im toying with the idea of taking mine out now and putting the triple rad in the front of the case

a mod i will have to do stealthily as the missus wont appreciate me cutting up my christmas present :eek:

Associate
cool - good to hear :)

theres loads of room behind the grille
mine is empty at the moment as i have a triple radiator on the back of the case now

i sanded one side of the grille down a little and put lots of masking tape on to protect it

it was a case of taking as much time as possible in order to not mess it up

when you use the mallet to push it in

little tiny taps are key to success - if you see the grille start to bend then tap somewhere else to straighten it up

it does fit but take your time and it will end up looking great

im toying with the idea of taking mine out now and putting the triple rad in the front of the case

a mod i will have to do stealthily as the missus wont appreciate me cutting up my christmas present :eek:

Thanks m8, that's really helpful! I think I might dremel the sides of the fan grille a bit first then just to help things along!

And respect for your new clock... 4.66GHz - that's quite something else! :D

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
here is how the system stands now

DSC00598-1.jpg

heres a little picture of my plans for the future with this case

plans.jpg

need to figure out some sort of bracket for the radiator first before removing the 5.25" bay rack

also was thinking of removing the mesh from the front of the case and making the whole front panel [except for the bar with the on switch]

that will come in time
any suggestions welcome

Last edited:

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
Right then - its been a while since i have made any changes

fancied a few changes but the radiator at the front was a no go - i stripped the system down but there was no way i could get the radiator in and make it look neat

so i have gone for an external radiator idea

my system is on a little table now which is a lot better [dust wise]

also it has meant i have been able to use my radiator stand
originally it is designed for a TJ07 - but as i am mounting it externally - i have had to cut a gap at the back of the case

[its not finished yet so i have not shown any pictures]

also added some noctua fans to the system
- they dont look fantastic but seem to match the colours of the motherboard a bit

nevertheless - they cool they knock 10'c off my idle and load temps and push LOADS more air than my old zalman fans

heres the pics...

DSC00601.jpg

DSC00602.jpg

DSC00604.jpg

look out for a hardware upgrade soon

Last edited:

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
Looking sweet - I approve of your choice of fans sir! The external rad looks cool - just a damn shame about Noctua's choice of colours.

i know - i think it fits in well with the colour of the board

but they perform well so i can forgive the daft colour scheme that noctua think 'goes well' with the majority of hardware on the market!

the fans are on the blue resistors that come with them - making them very quiet

my cpu idles around 30'c
and goes up to mid 50'c after an hour of gaming
cputemps.jpg

EVGA classified?
i am waiting for a non nf200 version to come in
then i may wade in :rolleyes:
the only thing holding me back is the thought of spending £300+ on a board for it to only go 10 BCLK or so above my current Biostar :eek:

that could be a bit of a wounder!!!

no - the imminent change is going to be a set of OCZ blade to replace my reaper

although the reaper is great - the blade is just phenomenal - we have a set at work that does 7-7-7-20 -1T @ 1700MHZ
so i think i am going to go for that - should set me up nicely for when the classified becomes a viable option

Last edited:
Soldato
no - the imminent change is going to be a set of OCZ blade to replace my reaper

although the reaper is great - the blade is just phenomenal - we have a set at work that does 7-7-7-20 -1T @ 1700MHZ
so i think i am going to go for that - should set me up nicely for when the classified becomes a viable option

Have you been able to run the ram higher than 1600mhz on the biostar yet?

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
Looks fantastic, you've got me sorely contemplating a water setup.

I have to stop reading your threads, spent too much as it is! :D

i have to stop DOING my threads - as I spend too much too :D

Have you been able to run the ram higher than 1600mhz on the biostar yet?

no - the divider above doesnt work
but i have a beta bios that Biostar sent me last night that should rectify the issue. going to try that - would you like me to email it to you if i find it successful?

looks brilliant mate, made some very good progress :)

really like the overall look.

Back
Top Bottom