[OcUK Staff Builds] rjkoneill's FT01

Soldato
keen on seeing that cooler up and running

i have no space for such luxuries - great sleeving work though!

Thanks! That's only a VERY small part of what has been sleeved!! There's not a wire left visible/not visible that hasn't been done (unless it came sleeved of course). I think my build should be called OCD v1.0 :D

You'll see the lot once I finally get around to finishing the build.

Associate
keen on seeing that cooler up and running

i have no space for such luxuries - great sleeving work though!

-

in ref to phinix's comment

the ek supreme is a pretty good block

the way i see it - a waterblock is a waterblock

pick the one you like the look of

its the rad that matters

a 10w may struggle with a few blocks and a large rad

thanks for reply. I think youre right. They all are pretty similar in performance. All depends on rad you have...

Soldato
Funny, I thought it might be better as an intake, but then as rjkoneill rightly says, it would draw in the hot air exhausted from the PSU below.

We'll see what happens when it's all running. Should be interesting.

Well probably best to try both ways and check i suppose. Well i know i will when/if i get one as they do look tempting and will match my case exactly with some sharkoons, going for the whole black interior and the lovely sharkoons.

Pretty sure it will drop my gpu temp by 15c as a bonus :p

Associate
I have to give dibs here to rjkoneill as this thread literally inspired me to buy the case and have to say its a beast!

Unfortunately not gone the watercooling route (yet) but find the quality of the case has really pulled through.

Did have a problem with some odd placements of sata ports on an evga motherboard that meant due to case design, they couldn't be connected but thats more to do with evga being numpties and putting sata ports half way up the motherboard.

So big thumbs up from me on this project!

Soldato
Excellent work rjkoneill and thanks for showing the case to us. I'm very impressed with it and actually thinking about purchasing one. Do you know when you will be getting any more in stock?

Associate
The Kama with mesh similar style to the stock mesh is now installed. Having the Noctua fan behind it does nothing for the asthetics as you can see through the filter a little, but it's not too bad. Considering installing a slightly thicker filter to better hide it.

However I may end up changing it again though, I'm going to contact Silverstone and see if they will supply me with a spare mesh panel, but not holding my breath on that!

I may even just take it out altogether and replace the bay covers, but they are a pretty poor match to the finish of the case, and i'm not sure if I would lose out on any cooling capacity.

I'll post some pics in the next day or so of where I am thus far.
Maybe let us see how this looks like with the Kama Bay installed?

Planning to do a similar build, probably replace stock 120mm fans with some S-Flex fans and a fan controller + CM v8.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
I have to give dibs here to rjkoneill as this thread literally inspired me to buy the case and have to say its a beast!

Unfortunately not gone the watercooling route (yet) but find the quality of the case has really pulled through.

Did have a problem with some odd placements of sata ports on an evga motherboard that meant due to case design, they couldn't be connected but thats more to do with evga being numpties and putting sata ports half way up the motherboard.

So big thumbs up from me on this project!
glad it inspired you - i had to go into it blind as i coulnt find much info on it when it first came out - and certainly no build logs on it - glad you enjoyed reading it - and welcome to the forums!

Excellent work rjkoneill and thanks for showing the case to us. I'm very impressed with it and actually thinking about purchasing one. Do you know when you will be getting any more in stock?

shouldnt be too long - Yewen would probably be the best person to ask about that - if you are after one - post in product suggestions and the ocuk purchasers will see it

Soldato
Hey rjkoneill, I almost have mine all ready to go. Currently have everything installed (bar the X-Fi) on a bench whilst I test it all.

Should have it all in the case mid-late week and I will create a new thread when it's done. I have taken a boat load of pics. Hopefully you'll like some of the little things I have done. ;)

Soldato
Diggsy - good to hear you managed to get it sorted

looking forward to seeing your pics! :)

I hope to have them up by the end of the week, but I have noticed my PSU may need replaced :rolleyes:

I used to have an issue with some 'squealing' which I thought was coming from the caps on my old 680i, but as it turns out, I can clearly hear it still at certain times.

It is most notable during certain stresses, mainly when the video card is stressed (which uses a lot of power to be fair).

I have pinpointed it to the PSU, it's obvious with everything out in the open. It is nothing to do with the video card as it did it in my 680i system with the 8800GTX installed.

It kind of sounds like electrical buzzing, maybe the coils vibrating or something. It's not really that loud but pretty annoying.

It's still well in warranty though, so not too bad, although it is a little inconveniant just as I reached the last hurdle with my install!

I plan to get it off to RMA within the next day or 2, but have no idea when I will get it back.:(

Associate
On a youtube video review of this, the guy said the dust filters are a little hard to remove, which made me think, why would you want to remove dust filter? Does it improve performance or did he mean remove for cleaning, then put back?

BTW nice build log, helped me make the decision to buy this case :)

Associate
On a youtube video review of this, the guy said the dust filters are a little hard to remove, which made me think, why would you want to remove dust filter? Does it improve performance or did he mean remove for cleaning, then put back?

i think depending on where the dust filters are fitted it can reduce airflow.

Soldato

He was probably refering to the upper 180mm dust filter which for some silly reason, Silverstone decided it was a good idea for it to slide towards the front of the case for removal. Needless to say this is not possible as the 5.25" bays are in the way :rolleyes:

So to remove this filter requires removal of the fan, but it should only need removed if dust build up becomes an issue. I plan to vacuum mine from above the case and see what happens. It looks close enough to be vacuumed. Otherwise I will probably blast it with compressed air from inside the case, hence blowing the dust back out the way it came in :D

Back
Top Bottom