OcUK Trackday: Donnington 8th May 2013: £177.50 - CANCELLED!!!!

Put me down as a definite

up for a passenger ride in the teg :cool:

type R fest 2k13

Meanwhile at Naths house

28778233.jpg

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, do you guys use a spare set of alloys with more track based tyres for these track days? Or just stick to your daily usage tyres?
I'm cringing at the wear on the tyres from a full day of hard driving :O

Out of curiosity, do you guys use a spare set of alloys with more track based tyres for these track days? Or just stick to your daily usage tyres?
I'm cringing at the wear on the tyres from a full day of hard driving :O

Most people turn up with spare set with slicks fitted and drive to the track on wets/road tyres.

I just turn up with my daily wheels/tyres as the 911 is not a track prepared car, its my daily driven car.

P.S. - CONFIRMED IT IS 110% OPEN PIT LANE!!!! :D :D :D :) :) :)

Hi there

Anyone unsure of the lines, watch this guy, uses very similar lines to myself, just a lot more curb and way way faster. :D

Aye Gibbo, mine is my daily driver... still makes me cringe a little though. ;)

Yep it is why I drive my car at approx 90% as I don't want to risk throwing it off the track, don't want any dints in the car or my pride. ;)

It is why I've considered maybe buying an older 3 series BMW of somekind like Clarkies to convert into a full track car, as then I can drive that at 110% and if I fly of track and ruin the paintwork I am not fussed, just my pride that will be dinted which I can get over. :)

I think wear is very dependant on model of tyre. With the AD08 I did a handful of trackdays and loads of road miles before they wore out. Each trackday took less than 1mm off them, they could take the punishment no problem.
Last week at Oulton, I was using Avon ZZ3 on the rear, in the space of the day I took more than 4mm out of them, truly shocking wear rate. I won't ever use normal road tyres again, having said that, the grip wasn't bad.

Thats a bad line. ;)

Forgot his turn in!

Why is open pit lane so desirable when you have so many cars out? Last time I spectated there were periods where the pit lane was empty and others it was rammed with cars - surely it would be better if people got 20-30 min slots?

because its 20 minutes of driving and 40 minutes of twiddling your thumbs.

OPL means you can go out when it suits you. only downside is queues.

There are certain disadvantages to a sessioned day.
Red flags can mean you miss a session, or most of one, irritating.
If your car needs attention, you could miss a session.

However you have some advantages too.
No queuing as such
Less cars on track typically, first thing anyway.
Sharing the track with similarly experienced drivers, far far less noobs holding you up.

I don't really hold much preference one way or the other. Seat time isn't that much less, 20 mins in an hour is about right before the car is getting abused.

Forgot his turn in!

Why is open pit lane so desirable when you have so many cars out? Last time I spectated there were periods where the pit lane was empty and others it was rammed with cars - surely it would be better if people got 20-30 min slots?

With 90 cars it will be at least 4 groups, so you are looking at an hour wait between sessions, minimum.

Good point, I'd be far from 100% so the wear rate realistically wouldn't be bad :)

Unfortunately I can't make this day :( with a bit of luck ill get in on the next one.

Sure is, I preferre GP layout as the hairpin means epic drifts. :D

It is harder on brakes though, but for this day I shall be running on steels so all OK. :)

Knew it would be harder on the brakes, so was just checking!

Got lists of things that I need to do before this, most important being get a roll bar

Back
Top Bottom