*** OcUK VR Sim Racing Thread ***

One thing I and one other observed from tonight's session is that the graphics seem poorer compared to the time trial event. Is this something to do with the online play?

We both noticed a more blocky, compression like appearance to the graphics.

I don't know , but for me , the graphics were really good around me. But the track and cars in the distance was awful, I need to check my settings
I know there's game settings and (for me) virtual desktop settings

When I was looking at getting another wheel ages ago . From research the T300RS seemed like it be best for me to start with, anyone hot one linked up to a playseat challenge?

Last edited:
We (@ShiWarrior, @Mr.Cookie and myself) had a wierd situ last night when connected to the main game server in post 1.

When we first connected Cookie and myself could see each other, and I could see Shi, Cookie could NOT see Shi. Also when Shi came close to me he turned into a ghost.. like a time trials ghost.

Shi then disconnected and reconnected, and then Cookie could see Shi, but not me, I could see Cookie but not Shi, Shi could see us both. Then when I came close to Shi (who i couldn't see), i turned into a ghost according to Shi.

We then all disconnected, and Cookie hosted a game, and when we all joined we could all see each other and interact perfectly..

Just wondering if there is some wierd setting on the main server???

We (@ShiWarrior, @Mr.Cookie and myself) had a wierd situ last night when connected to the main game server in post 1.

When we first connected Cookie and myself could see each other, and I could see Shi, Cookie could NOT see Shi. Also when Shi came close to me he turned into a ghost.. like a time trials ghost.

Shi then disconnected and reconnected, and then Cookie could see Shi, but not me, I could see Cookie but not Shi, Shi could see us both. Then when I came close to Shi (who i couldn't see), i turned into a ghost according to Shi.

We then all disconnected, and Cookie hosted a game, and when we all joined we could all see each other and interact perfectly..

Maybe this?

I've noticed the first time you create an online session nobody can see it. You have to disconnect and do it all again. Exact same settings, but for some reason it works a second time.
God knows.

Maybe this?

Thanks for this.. it seems like there is no single reason, for the ghosting and I can't see anything about just not being able to see another player at all..

It made the three of us, trying to drive around together pretty pointless.

If it happens when we're all racing, then i'm unsure as to why are we all racing at the same time.. we may as well just all run our own 16 laps.. and whoever gets the best overall time wins.. :(

For those using virtual desktop, do you have dynamic bitrate enabled? Could it be dropping bitrate due to the number of cars on screen etc hence you're seeing the compression?

I dont know, i olay mine wired to the pc

Yes so did shiwarrior see above.

It's not my settings because I didn't change any.

Have you tried playing offline on the time trial, but setting the date to Jan 25th at 10am? Maybe it's the weather effects causing additional compression? There is a lot of mist just above the track, which looks awesome, but I'd image the quest would struggle with it.

It would be a shame to always race at the same time of year, but we can if it causes any issues.

Last edited:
I don't think the cars disappearing has anything to do with the method of connecting or the host or anything like that.

I think the latest patch has caused problems.

Hmm, not sure, I don't change settings in VD as I've always been happy with it

happy with it in sim racing though? or generally in other games? The reason I ask is VD in say HL: Alyx looks awesome as it's a much slower paced game. Sim racing (especially in open wheel cars) really shows up the compression imho where the track turns into a mushy grey blur. If you can run H264+ above 400mb that helps, but then the trade off is 8bit colour which makes the sky look a bit 'bandy'.

Last edited:

That was so weird last night

So , did cookie not host the 1st one?

I'm sure I could see both of you, but rigga just kept ghosting through me, but when we got going on the 2nd server after we disconnected twice? We could all see each other

Last edited:
Just in general, but I have played PC2 and Asseto Corsa in VR , but not on my q3 yet

Let me know how you get on. I always use my pico 3, but happy to run a few comparisons between the two.

IIRC, you want H264+ as high a bitrate as you can get, with MSAA on high in the game settings. VD wants 50% sharpening, and in the games .ini file change the sharpeningstrength to 1.2. Think that's a good balance between getting a sharp enough image, without over sharpening and introducing shimmer.

Also, you might want to make sure steam is set to 100% rendering with it's aliasing set to off.

Check the image whilst sat on the grid, and see how it compares to once you start moving. It the image falls apart at high speed, it's going to be the compression.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom