*** OcUK VR Sim Racing Thread ***

Have you tried playing offline on the time trial, but setting the date to Jan 25th at 10am? Maybe it's the weather effects causing additional compression? There is a lot of mist just above the track, which looks awesome, but I'd image the quest would struggle with it.

It would be a shame to always race at the same time of year, but we can if it causes any issues.

Will try it later. If, as you say, it was meant to be mist on the track last night, then I certainly didn't interpret what I was seeing as mist.

Last edited:
Let me know how you get on. I always use my pico 3, but happy to run a few comparisons between the two.

IIRC, you want H264+ as high a bitrate as you can get, with MSAA on high in the game settings. VD wants 50% sharpening, and in the games .ini file change the sharpeningstrength to 1.2. Think that's a good balance between getting a sharp enough image, without over sharpening and introducing shimmer.

Also, you might want to make sure steam is set to 100% rendering with it's aliasing set to off.

Check the image whilst sat on the grid, and see how it compares to once you start moving. It the image falls apart at high speed, it's going to be the compression.
thanks

maybe ill try PC2 and AC quickly first
then ill set that codec instead and re try ASM2

That was so weird last night

So , did cookie not host the 1st one?

I'm sure I could see both of you, but rigga just kept ghosting through me, but when we got going on the 2nd server after we disconnected twice? We could all see each other

Yeah the first server was the one in post 1.. and then after you'd reconnected and we had the same issue, @Mr.Cookie hosted his own server, and everything was perfect from then on.

just tried PC2, same thing
and it doesn't look any different from my Pico 4 that i had
maybe I'm just used to it lol, but i think on ASM 2 its worse in the distance

i was on AV1 (Quest 3)
now ill try the other codec

Last edited:
I came to post that I was going to pull out of this. Then I noticed that I didn't have to, as I wasn't put on any of the teams in the OP anyway!! :cry: It's just as well I wasn't picked because it would suck for the poor sod stuck on my team!!

Anyway, none of you guys are useless. In fact you are all quite good and have obviously played car sims for a long time. Where as I am actually useless. In a 7 lap race today, I was only after starting my 4th lap and everyone else had finished. I had been lapped 2 times and my quickest lap was almost a minute slower than the next slowest guy :D And that's racing against 4 guys who all claimed in this thread that they were terrible!! Imagine how far behind I would be against the "good" players?? LOL It will take me years to get anywhere close to you guys. If I joined in, it would really start to annoy you guys after a while.

Now that it's January, people might have got new steering wheels for Xmas, there might some decent offers in the second hand market. If I can pick one up for cheap I will give racing another go and maybe join in with some of the practice sessions.

I came to post that I was going to pull out of this. Then I noticed that I didn't have to, as I wasn't put on any of the teams in the OP anyway!! :cry: It's just as well I wasn't picked because it would suck for the poor sod stuck on my team!!

Anyway, none of you guys are useless. In fact you are all quite good and have obviously played car sims for a long time. Where as I am actually useless. In a 7 lap race today, I was only after starting my 4th lap and everyone else had finished. I had been lapped 2 times and my quickest lap was almost a minute slower than the next slowest guy :D And that's racing against 4 guys who all claimed in this thread that they were terrible!! Imagine how far behind I would be against the "good" players?? LOL It will take me years to get anywhere close to you guys. If I joined in, it would really start to annoy you guys after a while.

Now that it's January, people might have got new steering wheels for Xmas, there might some decent offers in the second hand market. If I can pick one up for cheap I will give racing another go and maybe join in with some of the practice sessions.
Booo, i think you shoud still take part. After all, if you're having fun than that is all that matters.

I've not been simming for long, wouldn't even call myself a Simmer, just grew up playing GT/Forza and like racing games. I have a basic set up (wheel clamped to my desk) but as long as i'm having fun i don't care.

I'm like @nutsnut I just do it for the giggles :D

Had a good laugh with you shi rigs and glen till your game crashed :)

I'd hate to think anyone didn't think they were good enough to join in. It doesn't matter how good you are, just being on track makes it better for everyone. This is about getting together having a bit of fun once a month.
I enjoy practicing the tracks in the build up to the races too.

It's the people what make it, and it's thanks to all of you I'm considering not renewing my iracing subscription this month (that'll save me £70).

I couldn't really make out much on the chat last night as my engine sound was too loud, but I'm sure someone said they were using a controller? There's no doubt my wheel and pedals make up for my shortcomings in racing, as when my son had his logitech wheel I was awful with it, and I dred to think how I'd be on a controller. There were a few corners where I could feel through both the wheel and pedals the car was about ready to spin out, so I either let off a bit, or pressed on to gain more traction. If I didn't have that, i'd be flying off into the gravel a lot more often.

Last edited:
I couldn't really make out much on the chat last night as my engine sound was too loud, but I'm sure someone said they were using a controller? There's no doubt my wheel and pedals make up for my shortcomings in racing, as when my son had his logitech wheel I was awful with it, and I dred to think how I'd be on a controller. There were a few corners where I could feel through both the wheel and pedals the car was about ready to spin out, so I either let off a bit, or pressed on to gain more traction. If I didn't have that, i'd be flying off into the gravel a lot more often.

Welcome to my world :D

For some reason Wednesday night I had .manual gears, but last night every corner I was spinning off and I couldn't work out why until I checked the settings

Automatic gears!

Was changing down for a corner and the auto box was putting me in a lower gear than I wanted, mostly down to 1st!

I put the master volume slider to 20, as I needed to hear the voice chat

Sorry about last night @melmac , as I use a controller I can talk you through a few things like key bindindings Etc if you would like

Seriously @melmac the only people who were flying around last night were @Mr.Cookie and @iseedeadpixels (Glen).. both @ShiWarrior and I were going off every other corner it felt like.. so while Glen and Cookie were having their race, Shi and I were having our own race..

It's just practice dude.. even on a controller.. does your controller have variable brake and accelerator? (i.e. you can apply very small amounts of accelerator, which will help stop the spinning!) and as Shi said.. manual gears make it much easier (once you're used to them!). Auto shifting down to first, would cause lots of spin outs for a lot of people!!!!

Maybe next time, we'll just have a practice session, rather than 5 laps of practice and then a race.. as it's hard to pootle around (you feel like an ijit! (not saying you're not!! ;) )) with other people racing..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom