*** OcUK VR Sim Racing Thread ***

Soldato
OP
That Supra is a pretty decent drive, especially since I generally don't do road cars outside of free roam. Didn't blow my mind, but each to their own :)
If we were doing AC, I'd suggest something like the Lotus 2-Eleven. Open top and fast, but not too fast with just the right amount of challenge to keep it fun and accessible for everyone.

With AMS2, I agree that the advanced formula trainer is a better choice than the basic one.

Did you pick it without actually driving it first? :cry:

I did :cry: I've gotten used to it again now. Managed to get my original time back before the wheel/game crashed on me for some reason :(

was looking for something which could add a few lols

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Discord links in the first post......I've never testing out the talking part, although I assume just leaving the discord running and set the audio/mic to the headset should work.

Will run a few tests.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I can if you want @ShiWarrior @melmac @SimonRigga and anyone else? Just a two hour practice session?
Soz @melmac just seen your not around dude :(

I would but I'll be watching the darts at 8. Can do tomorrow tho if anyones around.

Couple of things, the race will be set for the current date at 13:00, and is a 16 lap race. Might be worth driving in those conditions for a while to get used to it.

Soldato
OP
I've noticed the first time you create an online session nobody can see it. You have to disconnect and do it all again. Exact same settings, but for some reason it works a second time.
God knows.

Soldato
OP
Yes so did shiwarrior see above.

It's not my settings because I didn't change any.

Have you tried playing offline on the time trial, but setting the date to Jan 25th at 10am? Maybe it's the weather effects causing additional compression? There is a lot of mist just above the track, which looks awesome, but I'd image the quest would struggle with it.

It would be a shame to always race at the same time of year, but we can if it causes any issues.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hmm, not sure, I don't change settings in VD as I've always been happy with it

happy with it in sim racing though? or generally in other games? The reason I ask is VD in say HL: Alyx looks awesome as it's a much slower paced game. Sim racing (especially in open wheel cars) really shows up the compression imho where the track turns into a mushy grey blur. If you can run H264+ above 400mb that helps, but then the trade off is 8bit colour which makes the sky look a bit 'bandy'.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just in general, but I have played PC2 and Asseto Corsa in VR , but not on my q3 yet

Let me know how you get on. I always use my pico 3, but happy to run a few comparisons between the two.

IIRC, you want H264+ as high a bitrate as you can get, with MSAA on high in the game settings. VD wants 50% sharpening, and in the games .ini file change the sharpeningstrength to 1.2. Think that's a good balance between getting a sharp enough image, without over sharpening and introducing shimmer.

Also, you might want to make sure steam is set to 100% rendering with it's aliasing set to off.

Check the image whilst sat on the grid, and see how it compares to once you start moving. It the image falls apart at high speed, it's going to be the compression.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I came to post that I was going to pull out of this. Then I noticed that I didn't have to, as I wasn't put on any of the teams in the OP anyway!! :cry: It's just as well I wasn't picked because it would suck for the poor sod stuck on my team!!

Anyway, none of you guys are useless. In fact you are all quite good and have obviously played car sims for a long time. Where as I am actually useless. In a 7 lap race today, I was only after starting my 4th lap and everyone else had finished. I had been lapped 2 times and my quickest lap was almost a minute slower than the next slowest guy :D And that's racing against 4 guys who all claimed in this thread that they were terrible!! Imagine how far behind I would be against the "good" players?? LOL It will take me years to get anywhere close to you guys. If I joined in, it would really start to annoy you guys after a while.

Now that it's January, people might have got new steering wheels for Xmas, there might some decent offers in the second hand market. If I can pick one up for cheap I will give racing another go and maybe join in with some of the practice sessions.

I'd hate to think anyone didn't think they were good enough to join in. It doesn't matter how good you are, just being on track makes it better for everyone. This is about getting together having a bit of fun once a month.
I enjoy practicing the tracks in the build up to the races too.

It's the people what make it, and it's thanks to all of you I'm considering not renewing my iracing subscription this month (that'll save me £70).

I couldn't really make out much on the chat last night as my engine sound was too loud, but I'm sure someone said they were using a controller? There's no doubt my wheel and pedals make up for my shortcomings in racing, as when my son had his logitech wheel I was awful with it, and I dred to think how I'd be on a controller. There were a few corners where I could feel through both the wheel and pedals the car was about ready to spin out, so I either let off a bit, or pressed on to gain more traction. If I didn't have that, i'd be flying off into the gravel a lot more often.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
but the one i linked to above is more sturdier and also can keep wheel and pedals attached when stored , also has an additional benefit of upgrading to a proper seat etc later on (when i move)

This is pretty much how I started. Wheel on desk, then bought the next level stand, then added the seat at a later date.

Soldato
OP
do you have the 2.0 one ? if so could you measure it up when folded for me please ? :) if you dont mind?

Thanks

It's a good 2yrs old. Think it's slightly different, I'll see if I can find the model or an old photo of when it was separate.

..yeah, I think the one you have linked above is a newer revision than mine.

PomyDg6.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Been trying to replicate that graphics compression issue.

It's definitely true that if it's set to a January sunny day race then the sunlight shines through a bit of haze and the track in some places experiences some fuzziness in the distance.

I've tried h264 at 400 Mbps and h265 at 250 Mbps. I think h265 has slightly less banding but the issue is still there.

It's not bad, just struggles slightly with the contrast in the hazy sunshine I think.

Is it the case that h265 can be run at lower Mbps setting for the same quality compared to h264?

Very high bitrate H264+ should look better overall in motion, especially the track but with it being only 8bit you get colour banding in the sky.

at the same bitrate though, both H265 and AV1 are better, and also support 10bit colour. The only reason you'd pick H264+ is to benefit from the extra bitrate, but then you'd probably need the link cable. My wifi 6e router is within touching distance and I can only hold 350mb.

It basically depends how you are connecting, and what graphics card you have.

High speed and fog are a nightmare with the quest. There's still a lot of pros and cons with these headsets at the minute.

My pico 3 is awesome and makes the january track look amazing, but the tradeoff is no edge to edge clarity, a slightly reduced fov, and having a cable attached.

Imagine a quest 3 with QLED, eye tracking and a displayport! I can dream.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom