OCUK's new website

Associate
Not to be only negative but I absolutely hate the massive advertisements on either side. One of the things I liked so much about the old site was it felt like I was browsing not being pushed to buy buy buy.

Associate
The ads down the sides are not new.

I was thinking about that and trying to recall the old site but were they really that prevalent? With the new site they just feel so much more in your face.

To add some balance I like the Lifestyle & Gadgets section very cool.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry OcUK, but I don't like the new look either. It's a lot harder to navigate, it's a lot less intuitive, it's slower, and it's more of a pain to find things

It's also butt ugly, far too busy.

It won't stop me shopping here, but it will/already has stopped me coming to OcUK just to spec up the cost of an idea, spec up a system for fun, or spec up systems for other people, etc.. something which has got OcUK some sales in the past.. i'm only one bloke but if i'm not the only one....

PAD

PAD

Associate
feels like a cheap site, I would normally see this kinda site and skip ordering from their. lucky I love OC

Soldato
It feels like a website your competitor(s) have used for years, but even they are upgrading. Hire in someone who can do the job, not cut corners, at the cost of using your customers to alpha/beta bug test it for you.

Soldato
For anyone that doesn't know, you can use adblock to block the ads. Right-click on the ad and click adblock, it's fairly self-explanatory from there.

Much better:
adsgone.png

Soldato
My guess is that this change was never planned (or at least not planned for 2015) but the DDoS attack last week exposed flaws that needed an urgent response and so the decision was made to clone the Caseking site and hastily butcher it into a new OCUK site.

Caporegime
My guess is that this change was never planned (or at least not planned for 2015) but the DDoS attack last week exposed flaws that needed an urgent response and so the decision was made to clone the Caseking site and hastily butcher it into a new OCUK site.

Really don't see that being a valid reason at all. No amount of changing a back-end eCommerce platform would help to mitigate a DDoS attack.

Given that the thread states that the changes have been TWO YEARS in the making, I'd say it's been a plan since the buyout. However two years is a lot of dev time, and should have yielded a far better result than the unresponsive, non-intuitive, heavily under-optimized site that has appeared.

jc0

jc0

Associate
I don't like the new site at all. It's new, but still looks old-fashioned...how I'd expect Maplin's site to look. The previous design was starting to look a bit dated but was easier to get around and less cluttered. A step backwards IMHO :(

P.B

P.B

Soldato
I don't like how there in any non vat prices and echo how it looks much like a comparators site and I've never been keen on there lay out.

Soldato
Has the menu dissapeared from the site for anyone else? O.o

menugone.jpg

I know I said the were too many buttons, but... lol

Really don't see that being a valid reason at all.

Only one that really makes sense though, hence why the site looks like it was hastily thrown together in a few days and is still in beta.

No amount of changing a back-end eCommerce platform would help to mitigate a DDoS attack.

Depends on the type of attack.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom