Oculus Quest 2 Pro / Oculus Quest 3 Thread

Soldato
I don't think they will release any headsets until late next year.

Not sure it's a big enough jump for me over the Quest 2.

Soldato
The 888 chip (or the upgraded version?) is apparently something like 30% improvement over the xr2, which could be worth the upgrade, a few extra pixels to allow for a wider field of view without losing pixel density.

However, most the rumours seem to be around eye and face tracking, for showing in game where someone is looking, and real facial expressions.

I suspect that eye tracking data would also be recorded and sent to facebook to help with the development of foveated rendering in the future.

Soldato
Not sure if i would get this, i'm more interested in what the Index 2 will have to offer, i want a wider field of view, higher pixel count, just about everything that relates to a better picture quality. Would happily pay the price if its worth it.

Soldato
I'd not pay more for eye/face tracking, since I don't do much social stuff that requires that. I can imagine it being a nice touch for those that like it.

I'll also point out that the xr2 chip has a capacity for either 6 or 8 camera's (can't remember which), so is already capable of both of the tracking additions, would make it easier for oculus.

Associate
I imagine any updates will be focused on pushing social aspects of VR. It's more than a 'nice touch' for oculus. It's their reason for being in the space. Games etc are good for selling the devices, but the end game is all about social. So not surprised to see stuff like eye tracking on top of the list.

Soldato
I'll only be interested if it has a wider FOV and maybe a proper display port connection for PC. Those are the biggest differences between using my Index and the Quest 2. Despite the lower resolution and wires I tend to use my Index more simply because the FOV is so much more immersive, and the image sharper without compression artefacts.

Soldato
i agree about the FOV, and a proper display port would be nice too...
i really could not give 2 hoots about social stuff in VR, but if eye tracking allows decent foveated rendering then that could be a massive win, allowing much better detail where it matters and less where it doesnt. would be a boon for PC VR but a potential game changer for a much weaker mobile processor (even if 50% better than what is in the current quest 2 its still only going to be PSVR levels of eyecandy)

Soldato
FOV is not the most important for me, simply because it's one of the things my eyes adjust to very quickly. Whenever I use a headset with a wide FOV and then return to the Quest 2, for the for the initial few seconds after putting on the headset, I am like "wow, terrible FOV" but after a few minutes playing, my eyes adapt and I don't even notice anymore.

What I would like is that they improve the lenses and the screens first. So that we get better blacks and colours with great edge to edge clarity no matter what way you move your eyes.

Improvements in the wifi connection to the PC would be great as well. Can't go back to tethered VR gaming. It sucks.

Associate
image quality (resolution/screen/refresh)
FOV
weight

I think those are the most important aspects most of us would agree on. Unfortunately, I think the intersection on a vend diagram between Facebook's target demographic and overclockers vr forum members is rather small. Facebook wants the social interaction to be more lifelike, hence the face/eye/hand tracking. Also the 3 things I listed above are the most expensive and hardest hitting on battery, whereas sensors, not so much, so more scope to improve in that direction.

Soldato
Image quality is already pretty good in my mind, I'm never going to complain about better, but it's a long way from unuseable, it's already very enjoyable I feel. It can already do 120hz. If you can find me a graphics card to drive it at full resolution and 144hz, then sure, why not...

FOV. No arguments from me there, which would then require an increase in pixels to keep the current quality, so the first answer is a sort of yes and no.

Weight doesn't bother me in the slightest. Especially once I've put a counterweight on. So it's definitely not weight, but weight distribution for me. However, I'd rather they keep their current modular design, than place the battery at the back, which likely forces you into using their headstrap solution.

EDIT - However, as stated, the leaks seem to be focused on the eye tracking and face tracking. Which the quest 2 chip is already capable of. I'm guessing this will be an updated quest 2, not a revamped quest 3 with different lenses/fov/screen etc.

Soldato
If this is going to be geared toward unsocial media, which I haven't the slightest interest in, then this could be my last oculus headset. The one game I bought off the store is no great loss if I no longer need the account.

Associate
They already said next year and most news articles point to late next year. I don't think it's coming this year or early next.

I'd be surprised if they add the "pro" tag to a mass market social device. The Quest line already targets that market. They don't have a true G2/Index competitor with wider FOV and display port for optimal PC fidelity. It makes more sense to me that they'll release two headsets next year - a Quest 3 and a Quest 3 Pro. Both supporting Q2 games, eye tracking, etc but with the Pro adding higher fidelity PC features to compete with next Index.

Either way, it feels far enough off that I bought a second Quest 2 with more storage as we kept having to uninstall stuff to get updates to download. Gave my son the 64gb and moved myself to 256gb. Finally we can play VR together too.

Associate
They already said next year and most news articles point to late next year. I don't think it's coming this year or early next.

I'd be surprised if they add the "pro" tag to a mass market social device. The Quest line already targets that market. They don't have a true G2/Index competitor with wider FOV and display port for optimal PC fidelity. It makes more sense to me that they'll release two headsets next year - a Quest 3 and a Quest 3 Pro. Both supporting Q2 games, eye tracking, etc but with the Pro adding higher fidelity PC features to compete with next Index.

Either way, it feels far enough off that I bought a second Quest 2 with more storage as we kept having to uninstall stuff to get updates to download. Gave my son the 64gb and moved myself to 256gb. Finally we can play VR together too.
This seems fair, I would be surprised at a Quest 2 Pro coming soon but hey, I don't think many expected the quest 2 to come out quite so soon after the Quest 1 so they certainly can surprise.
Have a great time with your son, multiplayer vr in the same room is great!

Associate
https://uploadvr.com/quest-pro-specs-controllers-leak

I have said for ages if oculus could use the same insight tracking in the controllers to augment the ring it would be the ultimate tracking. If they have done that it will be outstanding. No out of tracking line of sight issues.....
If that is legit it's brilliant
That does sound awesome....don't think it would get me to buy it as I VERY rarely have tracking issues as is with the Quest 2 though

Soldato
Just think FoV is key for me buying a new headset.

Not worried about the cable because i want a better wireless experience. Already happy with refresh and resolution is good enough.

Back
Top Bottom