Oculus Quest (Santa Cruz)

Soldato
I've just received my replacement Oculus Quest (after returning the previous one to the Rainforest store) due to the trigger on one of the controllers developing an annoying squeak and feeling like they were rubbing/sticking. Hopefully this one doesn't develop the same fault!

Decided to save some cash and go for the 64Gb model this time round as after having the previous one I quickly realised I would never use anything the full 128Gb capacity.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just received my replacement Oculus Quest (after returning the previous one to the Rainforest store) due to the trigger on one of the controllers developing an annoying squeak and feeling like they were rubbing/sticking. Hopefully this one doesn't develop the same fault!

My triggers are starting to feel like that - a faint grinding when pressed and some squeaking. I don't really want to return the whole lot though as I have a pretty much perfect headset with no dead pixels. I might contact Oculus and see what they say.

Soldato
My triggers are starting to feel like that - a faint grinding when pressed and some squeaking.

Mine pretty much did that from out of the box. This replacement one's triggers seem ok. Slight notchiness to the thumbstick if I'm being overly critical though generally fine. No dead pixels on either thankfully.

Also, and it might just be how I've adjusted it, but this new one feels more comfortable and seems to fit better than the previous Quest I had?

Sending it back was kind of annoying as I initially got a refund so had to wait a month for stock to arrive before I could order a replacement! I don't think I'd have sent it back just for the trigger issue alone but I also wanted to switch to the 64gb model to save some cash!

Last edited:
Associate
Oh man i finally gave into 'the itch'. Picking the 64GB up this evening. Part of me is looking to get alittle more fit with VR (Beat Saber or Racket Fury: Table Tennis VR i was thinking) but also SUPERHOT VR looks amazing. What are peoples top 5 buys if you had to choose?

Taken some time to investigate the headstrap guide, as it's clear it all needs loosening first so it cups the back of your head, noted. Luckily the misses is into knitting & crochet so maybe she can whip up a nice pillow for me.

Soldato
Oh man i finally gave into 'the itch'. Picking the 64GB up this evening. Part of me is looking to get alittle more fit with VR (Beat Saber or Racket Fury: Table Tennis VR i was thinking) but also SUPERHOT VR looks amazing. What are peoples top 5 buys if you had to choose?

My top 5 favourite games are (in order) :-

1 Superhot
2 Beat Saber
3 Robo Recall
4 UltraWings
5 Space Pirate Trainer

Soldato
So what does everyone reckon is the best way to stream VR games from your desktop pc to the Oculus Quest?

Virtual Desktop
ALVR
Riftcat Vridge

.. or something else?

Soldato
OP
So what does everyone reckon is the best way to stream VR games from your desktop pc to the Oculus Quest?

Virtual Desktop
ALVR
Riftcat Vridge

.. or something else?
Whatever you decide make sure you are using 5Ghz.

I am using a WiFi dongle on a LAN connected PC using Windows 10 ad-hoc hotspot.

That's with ALVR.

Virtual desktop is the one that seems to be updated the most.

Last edited:
Soldato

That's with ALVR.

Thanks for the info. I had a 5ghz router and my pc connected via an ethernet power line adapter to the router so it should work fine as long as the signal strength is decent.

I'll give sidequest a try the next time I have some free time!

Also, I just noticed Oculus have updated their store refund policy of 2 hours playtime/14 days to include a clause saying no more than 5 refunds in 30 days.

I doubt many will hit that limit but something to be aware of if you're buying and retuning several games in a month! Seems reasonable to me.

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-return-quest-policy/

"YOU MAY RETURN APPS, GAMES, AND MANY EXPERIENCESPURCHASED THROUGH OCULUS FOR OCULUS RIFT, RIFT S, AND QUEST FOR ANY REASON, SO LONG AS YOU SUBMIT YOUR REQUEST WITHIN FOURTEEN DAYS OF PURCHASE AND YOU HAVE ENGAGED WITH THE CONTENT FOR NO MORE THAN TWO HOURS."

"WE HAVE A GENEROUS REFUND POLICY, BUT THAT POLICY STATES THAT WE MAY DENY REFUND REQUESTS IF WE DETECT POTENTIAL ABUSE OF OUR REFUND SYSTEM — FOR EXAMPLE BY REQUESTING BULK REFUNDS OVER A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME. WE BEGIN TO ASSUME POTENTIAL ABUSE WHEN OUR SYSTEM FLAGS MORE THAN FIVE REFUND REQUESTS IN 30 DAYS, BUT ALSO CONSIDER EVERY SITUATION ON A CASE-BY-CASE BASIS"

Last edited:
Associate
I have owned, and used the Oculus Rift for almost every day for over 2 years, its changed the way I game forever, this morning i bought the Oculus Quest, and it’s blown me away, the comfort, optics and most of all, the wireless freedom have transformed the way I game all over again, it’s a quite amazing experience to be free.
I have to mention Virtual Desktop, Wireless VR game streaming is the future of VR, over a 5ghz connection I played Contractors, my favourite PCVR game, i wasn’t sure what to expect, and well, it was an absolute joy to play! I felt a little latency with my hands, but not enough to dampen my experience, and I remained good enough to be competitive.
I’m tempted to sell my CV1, the Quest, via Virtual Desktop ‘could’ be the VR hybrid equivalent to the Nintendo Switch. Moving forward I have some decisions to make.

Soldato
I have owned, and used the Oculus Rift for almost every day for over 2 years, its changed the way I game forever, this morning i bought the Oculus Quest, and it’s blown me away, the comfort, optics and most of all, the wireless freedom have transformed the way I game all over again, it’s a quite amazing experience to be free.
I have to mention Virtual Desktop, Wireless VR game streaming is the future of VR, over a 5ghz connection I played Contractors, my favourite PCVR game, i wasn’t sure what to expect, and well, it was an absolute joy to play! I felt a little latency with my hands, but not enough to dampen my experience, and I remained good enough to be competitive.
I’m tempted to sell my CV1, the Quest, via Virtual Desktop ‘could’ be the VR hybrid equivalent to the Nintendo Switch. Moving forward I have some decisions to make.

I'm so jealous people are masnaging to stream PCVR with no latency. grrr... im half way thinking of just buying a second 5ghz moderm and having my PC tempoarily connect to that via ethernet for ALVR.

Soldato
I'm so jealous people are masnaging to stream PCVR with no latency. grrr... im half way thinking of just buying a second 5ghz moderm and having my PC tempoarily connect to that via ethernet for ALVR.

Another option would be to invest in a pair of Ethernet/Network over Powerline adapters to connect your PC to your modem? That way you can play wherever your internet router is connected with minimal latency. A pair only costs around £30 these days.

Alternatively put another Wi-Fi point upstairs connected to your Ethernet over Powerline adapter if the signal doesn't carry and you want to use it next to your PC.

Soldato

That's with ALVR.

That sounds like genius. Can you link me to an adapator? is this guaranteed to work?

Soldato
Another option would be to invest in a pair of Ethernet/Network over Powerline adapters to connect your PC to your modem? That way you can play wherever your internet router is connected with minimal latency. A pair only costs around £30 these days.

Alternatively put another Wi-Fi point upstairs connected to your Ethernet over Powerline adapter if the signal doesn't carry and you want to use it next to your PC.
Powerlines just aren't good enough for that in my use-case. I've tried that in the past and the latency was better but not good enough.

How much would a wifi point cost? I have some Bt Homehub discs but they don't seem to play nice with their ethernet.

Soldato
I've read that using 5GHz USB wi-fi dongle as a Windows 10 wi-fi hotspot provides the best experience, both for latency and image quality. It's something I'm thinking of trying.

Soldato
Powerlines just aren't good enough for that in my use-case. I've tried that in the past and the latency was better but not good enough.

Ah, ok. I've only run ping tests on mine and haven't had a chance to try streaming to my Quest from my PC using alvr or virtual desktop. I'd assumed that a sub 1ms ping would be fine over Powerline for streaming.

Soldato
I've read that using 5GHz USB wi-fi dongle as a Windows 10 wi-fi hotspot provides the best experience, both for latency and image quality. It's something I'm thinking of trying.

Sounds good, any links to people citing that as I can find some anecdotal evidence, I'll probably pull the trigger?

Back
Top Bottom