Oculus Quest (Santa Cruz)

Soldato
All three are good, but very different. I've not got Elven Assassin, but I've had a lot of fun with Racket NX, and it's incredibly polished. Looks almost as good as the PC versions.

Soldato
Racket Nx seems to be a favourite of many and the reviews are overwhelmingly positive.

I really want a space sim for the Quest but the reviews for end space seem pretty mixed.

Maybe I should just abuse the Oculus store return policy and buy all three to try them out :D

Soldato
I got the AMVR touch grips the other day for the Quest/Rift S touch controllers. These allow you to strap the controller to your hand, making them very similar to the Valve Index controllers (except with a working thumbstick. :p)

They are very easy to fit, and attach using a velcro tie which makes them equally easy to remove.

Overall they seem well made and do the job nicely. It will take a bit of getting used to but being able to open your hand and still have the controller attached will be a boon in a lot of games.

The only downside is that you can't fit the controllers in the official case with them fitted. :(

Also while fitting these I noticed one of my controllers had a crack in the LED ring. I must have whacked it at some point. They're definitely not as robust as the original CV1 controllers which are apparently made out of Adamantium.

Soldato
OP
I got the AMVR touch grips the other day for the Quest/Rift S touch controllers. These allow you to strap the controller to your hand, making them very similar to the Valve Index controllers (except with a working thumbstick. :p)

They are very easy to fit, and attach using a velcro tie which makes them equally easy to remove.

Overall they seem well made and do the job nicely. It will take a bit of getting used to but being able to open your hand and still have the controller attached will be a boon in a lot of games.

The only downside is that you can't fit the controllers in the official case with them fitted. :(

Also while fitting these I noticed one of my controllers had a crack in the LED ring. I must have whacked it at some point. They're definitely not as robust as the original CV1 controllers which are apparently made out of Adamantium.

Made my own Touch grips :)

Only thing I had to buy was the elastic shoelace kit @£1.99. The foam for the hand support and PETG filament had loads of.

TXODfeKl.jpg

Soldato
Bought my mother a quest yesterday, just had a go helping her setting it up. Not going to go in to comparisons as clearly the index is a more expensive product and aimed at people like me that want to sit in VR all day, but why did they cheap out on the face padding and backstrap?

Surely for such a nominal cost on those two parts they could have looked at what valve were doing and made it super comfortable. I know the value is in the singular build of the unit and they must be selling them in or around cost or bellow, but surely two of the less expensive parts could have been upgraded from near zero.

Perhaps a little harsh, but it's hard not to be when you've experienced better. I know that people are hacking in old DAS, but if sales go well, surely somebody like VR cover might want to look at bringing something like the DAS to market themselves.

Last edited:
Soldato
Perhaps a little harsh, but it's hard not to be when you've experienced better. I know that people are hacking in old DAS, but if sales go well, surely somebody like VR cover might want to look at bringing something like the DAS to market themselves.

Comfort is a big issue with the Quest. VR cover have now brought out a cushion for the back which supposedly makes it more comfortable. I've done something similar, which coupled with a battery pack counterweight makes it pretty comfortable for me.

Soldato
OP
Oculus Link - all Rift software on Quest :cool: (officially) via USB-C (November update)

Hand tracking on Quest next year :eek:

Passthrough+ (like S) next week.

Last edited:
Soldato
Oculus Link - all Rift software on Quest :cool: (officially) via USB-C (November update)

Yeah, watching the stream just now. Some pretty game-changing announcements ! Oculus might have just rendered the Oculus Rift obsolete?

Soldato
Yeah, watching the stream just now. Some pretty game-changing announcements ! Oculus might have just rendered the Oculus Rift obsolete?

The Rift S is apparently way more comfortable than the Quest (I can testify that the Quest is not very comfortable without mods), plus the LCD screen on the Rift S is clearer due to a higher subpixel count.

However this is brilliant news for me as I will be able to use my Quest for sims, as I've tried this via streaming and the clarity is much higher than the original Rift, even with the compression of the image over wi-fi.

Soldato
The Rift S is apparently way more comfortable than the Quest (I can testify that the Quest is not very comfortable without mods), plus the LCD screen on the Rift S is clearer due to a higher subpixel count.

However this is brilliant news for me as I will be able to use my Quest for sims, as I've tried this via streaming and the clarity is much higher than the original Rift, even with the compression of the image over wi-fi.

I agree, the comfort (or lack of) is the Quest's biggest shortcoming.

Still, it's amazing to see exciting new features link PC link via cable and hand tracking being announced. Lots of new games and apps in the pipeline as well which gives me confidence Oculus are really putting their full weight behind the Quest as after the Go I was a bit nervous whether they were serious about committing to mobile VR in the longer term.

As much as it will probably upset the Oculus Rift PC VR Master race it makes sense to officially add PC VR support since it's already available wirelessly using 3rd part apps. Oculus can't really expect their customers to buy both a PC VR headset AND a mobile VR headset.

Pistol Whip looks ace and I'm curious to see how Arizona Sunshine turns out though I've already played though it on PSVR. The poor tracking on PSVR spoiled the game slightly though so if they can keep the graphical quality at an acceptable level it'll be much better on Quest.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hand tracking could be revolutionary for sims like DCS and Elite. You could use your HOTAS and flip controls and use menus with hand tracking.

Pistol Whip is one of the games I'm really looking forward to. Arizona Sunshine is showing its age a bit, but is great fun - if the Quest version performs well it could be a great game to play outdoors or in large spaces.

Soldato
Oculus just seem to have smashed it this connect in terms of providing value for Quest users.
If only they'd released a simple audio solution for the rift S and Quest and wireless module for the Rift S.

Soldato

Good stuff. Some nice additions in the Pipeline for Quest users.

It also explains their attitude when similar functionality was brought to the Quest in Virtual Desktop. Although there was the separate issue of the guy releasing it without approval.

Now that it's Official, it should be a lot more useable.

Soldato
anyone having issues with the amvr mine keeps on coming off compleaty when i remove my head set, and ive got no idea how to use the nose flap. its great while i have the head set on just when i removes it and put the quest in my case it start to come apart

Back
Top Bottom