Oculus Quest (Santa Cruz)

Soldato
I recommend trying out roomscale games in big areas and physically walking around if you can. It's incredibly immersive. I've been playing Apex Construct at work on an empty floor with the largest guardian bounds I can create. Being able to freely walk around, walking through doors, entering lifts is amazing. Tea For God works very well in this regard too. It's been liberating to be able to VR away from my PC, completely untethered.

Soldato
Oh man i finally gave into 'the itch'. Picking the 64GB up this evening. Part of me is looking to get alittle more fit with VR (Beat Saber or Racket Fury: Table Tennis VR i was thinking) but also SUPERHOT VR looks amazing. What are peoples top 5 buys if you had to choose?

Taken some time to investigate the headstrap guide, as it's clear it all needs loosening first so it cups the back of your head, noted. Luckily the misses is into knitting & crochet so maybe she can whip up a nice pillow for me.
I recently got the oculas quest and have been well impressed.

most of my time has been spend in beat sabour partly to get fit and its been fun.
Roborecall is fun game.
these are the 2 main reasons i got the quest.

but have been enjoying :
Moss <- i need to spend more time in this
Dance Dance Central <- fitness and learning to dance

Sidequest loaded :
Crisis VRigade <- like time crisis, its pretty fun and physical but annoying for the amount i die!! grr i admit i suck, but i do recomend looking out for it. i only just got this over weekend to try.

waiting to get :
space pirate training - good old shooter
and
Red matter - this looks interesting and comes recomened puzzle exploration.

i have but not tried :
keep talking and no one explodes <-- it's a co-op game but needs others to play and advise :(

i wanted to try some Tia Chi bt i am not sure the app works well for that sort of thing it seems to think i am 8 feet tall and able to stretch and contract in interesting ways.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have to say as my proper forey into VR its been a very good expience, i've taken the headset to the office and a lot of people have tried it, one even went out to purchase one next day!.
i'm hoping one of the kids i know will enjoy it for beat sabours health benifits.
the freedom to move around with out cables is great!
i was well improessed just looking at the controllers in vr then ored with the home page (the dome) just wow ! i could spend 20mins just watching! although i want an option to change this for something else at some point.

i'm not so go with the social aspect online but the bigscreen looks fun to try! and startrek bridge crew would be awsome with this i think!

Soldato
that

does look great fun, but i dont have enough space as it is :( and asda car park ma be the way to go with it untill we're getting chased off !!

You can hire community centre halls for not much money. I can see groups of friends getting together and hiring venues to play this. I would!

Soldato
looks cool if you have space.

That's why I prefer VR at places like Zero Latency to home as you can get a far more immersive experience in games like that. I know it’s not practical for everyone to get to but they have big arenas with up to 8 people in at once over 2 teams. My team enters the Sol Raiders tournaments in Nottingham, its a lot of fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADOEuzyYstc

Associate
What's the deal with the comfort aspect of this headset? I'm definitely interested in getting one, but I've been put off by reviews saying it's too front heavy. Have people found ways to mitigate this issue? Or has it been overblown as a problem?

Soldato
What's the deal with the comfort aspect of this headset? I'm definitely interested in getting one, but I've been put off by reviews saying it's too front heavy. Have people found ways to mitigate this issue? Or has it been overblown as a problem?

New facial interface (Made by AMR) and a counterweight battery pack have solved all the comfort issues for me.

Some people find it comfortable out of the box though.

Soldato
Note that the AMVR interfaces might cause a little loss of FOV, due to the thickness of the pad.

I also have a few issues with light leakage reflecting off my glasses. I'm getting some prescription inserts, so hopefully that'll improve things somewhat, and I'll then try the thinner pad, rather than the thicker one.

On another topic the most fun I've had with the Quest recently is playing Rec Room 'Rise of the Jumbotron'. Awesome 4 player co-op shooter where you can really make use of the Quest's wireless mobility by crouching behind cover, and using your guns to fire over the top of obstacles at cartoony robots. Best of all it's free.

Back
Top Bottom