Oculus Quest (Santa Cruz)

Soldato
It actually is better because it's an active fibre-optic cable which means it's far lighter and longer than normally supported USB3 lengths.

£80 is a bit steep though (but to be fair, active fiber optic cables are normally expensive).
My USB cable is 5m & 3m--> 3m at my desk or 8m to a big play space... and fine to wear, and cost £30 or so!?

Associate
Ive just preordered an oculus quest, due 28/04, seems a way off, but sick of waiting for real stock to come free, if there’s a massive influx of stock before then, I can always cancel , was torn between this and rift S, thanks to all those who helped me decide , I just decided that I want the wireless experience and need to start appreciating what it’s all about before I make future decisions on next gen headsets, also gives me time to sort out the pc software

Soldato
Ive just preordered an oculus quest, due 28/04, seems a way off, but sick of waiting for real stock to come free, if there’s a massive influx of stock before then, I can always cancel , was torn between this and rift S, thanks to all those who helped me decide , I just decided that I want the wireless experience and need to start appreciating what it’s all about before I make future decisions on next gen headsets, also gives me time to sort out the pc software
The Rift S has slightly better visuals than the Quest I believe (even with the Link), BUT the Quest is far more versatile. So unless you plan to be running it from your PC all the time, it's the more logical choice.

Associate
The Rift S has slightly better visuals than the Quest I believe (even with the Link), BUT the Quest is far more versatile. So unless you plan to be running it from your PC all the time, it's the more logical choice.

I have only experienced the Quest and currently I am really enjoying Alyx via link which I am finding very sharp. I have however read the various comments about Rift S being sharper / clearer despite technically having a lower resolution so assuming its all down to the video compression happening via link, its still in beta so hopefully they can make some potential improvements. One of the comments on a headset comparison using Alyx was the writing being legible on the gloves microchips on the Rift S, I definitely can't make it out on the Quest.

Soldato
I have only experienced the Quest and currently I am really enjoying Alyx via link which I am finding very sharp. I have however read the various comments about Rift S being sharper / clearer despite technically having a lower resolution so assuming its all down to the video compression happening via link, its still in beta so hopefully they can make some potential improvements. One of the comments on a headset comparison using Alyx was the writing being legible on the gloves microchips on the Rift S, I definitely can't make it out on the Quest.
What's interesting is, people have reported Alyx via Virtual Desktop actually looks slightly superior to than via the Link. Better contrast. And they play basically the same...

Associate

Ditto, I presume we've got the pre-order at the same place. Same decision for me too, long-term I'll be using for simracing so the rift s made more sense, but the portability of the quest makes it much more family friendly, so much more easy to justify the outlay if we can all play in the living room and cast to the shield.

Shame each day feels like a week at the moment, the 28th seems a lifetime away!

Associate

I want to use it with my pc, but it’s my 1st vr headset ever so will be trying everything, thanks for the support, like you say it’s the logical choice. :)

thanks for sharing your experience with the quest
it does seem with every update the link is getting better, glad your enjoying Alyx, looking forward to it myself now,

What's interesting is, people have reported Alyx via Virtual Desktop actually looks slightly superior to than via the Link. Better contrast. And they play basically the same...

Yep seen that you tube clip comparing the WiFi and link, you could def see it was clear detail on the WiFi , great videos

Ditto, I presume we've got the pre-order at the same place. Same decision for me too, long-term I'll be using for simracing so the rift s made more sense, but the portability of the quest makes it much more family friendly, so much more easy to justify the outlay if we can all play in the living room and cast to the shield.

Shame each day feels like a week at the moment, the 28th seems a lifetime away!

yeah I know there will be some compromise, but have never tried a rift s and never will, it will be the quest, and then the next gen WiFi headset after that,

ha ha just told my wife I’m getting a vr headset, I’m 52! She thinks it’s ridiculous he he, so think my wait might seem longer, she’s gonna remind me every bloody day why I’m not a kid anymore :D

Soldato
ha ha just told my wife I’m getting a vr headset, I’m 52! She thinks it’s ridiculous he he, so think my wait might seem longer, she’s gonna remind me every bloody day why I’m not a kid anymore :D

I'm 54, still gaming, and I've got several VR headsets. I don't care what the wife thinks! PC and video gaming is my hobby, just like cricket, or football, or model trains are other blokes hobbies. It is an expensive hobby though!

Actually my wife is dead keen to try Beat Saber, so I'm going to let her try it on the Quest this weekend.

Associate
The rift s was available on their store earlier so smelling. A rat, I just kept checking it out, oculus quest available despatched est 20th April
So cancelled my preorder and ordered, still shows available so some more to be had :)

Associate
The rift s was available on their store earlier so smelling. A rat, I just kept checking it out, oculus quest available despatched est 20th April
So cancelled my preorder and ordered, still shows available so some more to be had :)

See 4 posts up - @hyperseven gave the heads-up that they were in stock - I cancelled my pre-order from the other place and bought that night. It's showing as 'Processing for Shipping - Dispatches by April 17' a the minute, so hoping that means it will get sent any time now :D

Associate
See 4 posts up - @hyperseven gave the heads-up that they were in stock - I cancelled my pre-order from the other place and bought that night. It's showing as 'Processing for Shipping - Dispatches by April 17' a the minute, so hoping that means it will get sent any time now :D

doh how did i miss that post lol, not sure what was happening as it showed out of stock when i checked yesterday and seen the risft s was in stock lol, Did you have any probs cancelling your pre order?? did you just call or raise a ticket ? ive raised a ticket, but mat just call this morning, dont need 2 quests lol,

Soldato
The wife and I are fans of real world escape rooms and the quest is delivering a fantastic home experience for that kind of thing. We are really enjoying Red Matter at the moment, we cast it to the iPad and then take turns solving the puzzles using the quest while the other watches on the tablet and tries to help. It is fantastic working together, I am absolutely over the moon with this system and the fun it has brought us already. My wife can use the controllers and system intuitively in a way she would have never been able to do with a game pad, she is able to get into gaming in a way that she wasn't willing to invest time in. This is definitely the most approachable system since the Nintendo Wii.

Soldato
My wife has actually started playing Beat Saber over the last few days. She's only a casual gamer normally - phone games and suchlike.

It's been funny to see her get to grips with it. At one point she was holding holding the controllers upside down! But she's got into it now and really enjoying it. If my wife can get into the Oculus Quest, then anyone can.

Soldato
The wife and I are fans of real world escape rooms and the quest is delivering a fantastic home experience for that kind of thing. We are really enjoying Red Matter at the moment, we cast it to the iPad and then take turns solving the puzzles using the quest while the other watches on the tablet and tries to help. It is fantastic working together, I am absolutely over the moon with this system and the fun it has brought us already. My wife can use the controllers and system intuitively in a way she would have never been able to do with a game pad, she is able to get into gaming in a way that she wasn't willing to invest time in. This is definitely the most approachable system since the Nintendo Wii.

You might try Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes. It's a good game for two or more people with only one headset.

Associate
doh how did i miss that post lol, not sure what was happening as it showed out of stock when i checked yesterday and seen the risft s was in stock lol, Did you have any probs cancelling your pre order?? did you just call or raise a ticket ? ive raised a ticket, but mat just call this morning, dont need 2 quests lol,

I initially sent a webnote thing over the bank holiday weekend, but after getting twitchy and not hearing anything I then sent another webnote 2 days later (Monday), after which I heard back almost immediately to confirm cancellation. No idea if they actioned the first or last, but it's showing as cancelled now. Have to wait 5 working days to get the money back which is slightly annoying.

The order on Oculus store is still showing as processing at the min, so looking unlikely I'm going to see this before next week, am back to work on Monday after having this week off. Not like I'm going anywhere though, working from home for the forseeable so a lot more time on my hands anyway :)

Back
Top Bottom