Oculus Quest (Santa Cruz)

Associate
Told myself I would wait a few weeks before getting Alyx…… I got it tonight and just lost 2 hours to it.

I guess I am not bothered by VR much as I went straight in for free movement and it was absolutely fine, my only concern is that not taking more time with Super Hot and Robo Recall I will have spoilt them by going straight for Half Life Alyx.

Soldato
Told myself I would wait a few weeks before getting Alyx…… I got it tonight and just lost 2 hours to it.

I guess I am not bothered by VR much as I went straight in for free movement and it was absolutely fine, my only concern is that not taking more time with Super Hot and Robo Recall I will have spoilt them by going straight for Half Life Alyx.
Using a link cable or virtual desk?

Soldato

I went for the teleporting option as just to avoid quessy weessy but you can still do a certain amount of walking about if your play area is big enough even with teleporting which is cool. Playing this game outside in the garden with a bigger play area just ups the immersion level even more especially when its a bit cold outside and you are walking through the underground passages!

Associate
Using a link cable or virtual desk?

I was using a link cable, a 3m Ugreen extension and 2m Anker cable, seems to be working great, its my first go at PCVR and everything was straight forward to setup, no cable issues, no driver problems.

Everything looks pretty damn sharp to me, so would be impressed if the main PCVR sets are even sharper with a bigger FOV, might get one from the next generation.

Soldato
Everything looks pretty damn sharp to me, so would be impressed if the main PCVR sets are even sharper with a bigger FOV, might get one from the next generation.

Having tried this on the Quest and the Index you will be blown away by how much sharper it is on the Index. However you will be equally disappointed about the poor black levels and lens glare compared to the Quest.

Soldato
I was using a link cable, a 3m Ugreen extension and 2m Anker cable, seems to be working great, its my first go at PCVR and everything was straight forward to setup, no cable issues, no driver problems.

Do me a favour and try just the 2m Anker cable with the Device>page 2 "Test Cable" feature will you, and let me know what the Gbps value is?

Associate
Do me a favour and try just the 2m Anker cable with the Device>page 2 "Test Cable" feature will you, and let me know what the Gbps value is?

Finally v15 installed for me today so did the test, I got the same result with all cables:
  • 2m Anker USB A to C = 1.8Gbps
  • Above with the 3m Ugreen extension = 1.8Gbps
  • 2m CBUS USB C to C = 1.8Gbps
I have 3 USB ports and a USB C on the top front section of my desktop and it didn't matter whether I used those or directly into the motherboard in the back the results were the same, so far I am playing Alyx and Robo Recall using link and have had no dropouts / disconnects.

My setup is an Alienware Aurora R8

i7 9700K
11GB 2080 Ti
32GB DDR4

Soldato
Finally v15 installed for me today so did the test, I got the same result with all cables:
I have 3 USB ports and a USB C on the top front section of my desktop and it didn't matter whether I used those or directly into the motherboard in the back the results were the same, so far I am playing Alyx and Robo Recall using link and have had no dropouts / disconnects.

i7 9700K
11GB 2080 Ti
32GB DDR4
Thanks for that!

It's interesting how people are reporting the visuals over Virtual Desktop as at least as good as a link cable, if not better. And no real negative performance either, so starting to wonder if a link cable is even worth it :)

Soldato
Thanks for that!

It's interesting how people are reporting the visuals over Virtual Desktop as at least as good as a link cable, if not better. And no real negative performance either, so starting to wonder if a link cable is even worth it :)

The new 1.11.x beta Virtual Desktop update has improved it no end. Lots of little nice touches have been introduced and it runs a lot better than 1.10. More seamless interaction with SteamVR and Oculus Desktop, before sometimes you had to give it a manual kick but now its just so automated. The included menu of your Steam/Oculus games within the Quest display now is a massive plus.

Geez just checked and 1.12.1 is out now with a load more improvements this guy does not stand still !

https://github.com/guygodin/VirtualDesktop/releases

Soldato
OP
The new 1.11.x beta Virtual Desktop update has improved it no end. Lots of little nice touches have been introduced and it runs a lot better than 1.10. More seamless interaction with SteamVR and Oculus Desktop, before sometimes you had to give it a manual kick but now its just so automated. The included menu of your Steam/Oculus games within the Quest display now is a massive plus.

Geez just checked and 1.12.1 is out now with a load more improvements this guy does not stand still !

https://github.com/guygodin/VirtualDesktop/releases
You can set Github to email you whenever a new release is published just make sure you are signed in and click on the 'eye' icon and choose releases only.

Soldato
Oculus.com now has a 'notify me' facility to let you know when the Quest (or link cable, Rift S etc.) is back in stock.

I just signed up to see when the official link cable is in stock.

Associate

i7 9700K
11GB 2080 Ti
32GB DDR4

Approximately how much data does the Link software actually send through?

Soldato
My god, I got a Quest on Monday and I’m just absolutely blown away. The fact this can be used stand alone or with virtual desktop and steam means it’s just far more powerful than other systems. I can play steam where I have space in the house and not be tethered to the PC. Virtual desktop works flawlessly for me, I played through The Lab last night and there was no noticeable lag. This makes me confident ALEX will work fine. Just waiting for it to come down in price, there are plenty other budget experience to try before I go for the AAA stuff.

What driving and flight games have people had good experiences with on steam?

Oh and the new v15 layout absolutely sucks. If Oculus force us to use this I will be furious.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom