Oculus Quest (Santa Cruz)

Associate
Yeah the Youtubers also jumped all over the same leak. The new controllers apparently codename "jedi". Original. :rolleyes:

ha ha, maybe its in league with a new VR star wars game,! that would be something, but probably not!

was looking at some of those haptics jackets/vests, they reckon we are some 10 years away from proper suits, ill be in the ground by then, so might get a vest soon :D

Associate
Do you mean this one ? :D

Can't wait to try the next update on the Quest the last one was cool bit rough round the edges but big potential.

http://saltyhash.org/2019/12/13/project-stardust-update/

https://twitter.com/XWingVR

ha ha was actually kidding in have no knowledge of anything upcoming, BUT yes I seen this going thru all 40 odd pages (when started) the other week, and immediately emailed myself the link for the download, cannot wait to try it, hope they do indeed update it, there are truly things that will never happen in this life, but in another life, wielding a light sabre and flying an X wing would be 1st n 2nd in any order !!!

Soldato
ha ha was actually kidding in have no knowledge of anything upcoming, BUT yes I seen this going thru all 40 odd pages (when started) the other week, and immediately emailed myself the link for the download, cannot wait to try it, hope they do indeed update it, there are truly things that will never happen in this life, but in another life, wielding a light sabre and flying an X wing would be 1st n 2nd in any order !!!

Sort of in a way done the latter I'm the voice of one of the B Wing pilots in the game. :)

Associate
Sort of in a way done the latter I'm the voice of one of the B Wing pilots in the game. :)
That’s very cool , I’d be happy having done that ;)
I just witnessed a stock informer alert come up for OCUK, log on to see 10+ in stock, then within 10 minutes (maybe less) all are gone. And that's the 128Gb version for £500 as well. Absolutely crazy. I don't want that version otherwise I may have gone for it. Have seen the odd singular stock alert come up for other shops but when you log in its gone in seconds. Absolutely crazy.
64gb back in stock on oculus store ! As of now also 128 as well

Associate
Thanks for posting. Ive ordered one :eek: hope ive made the right choice.

well done and good luck, opening mine today, had it since Friday :eek:,

the way I seen it there were only 3 choices for me ,quest, rift s or index, if the index was the dogs nads and wireless and faultless I’d have got it, it was a close call between this and the rift s, but wanted the wireless above anything else and the physical ipd, if you want into VR, you goto buy something ! So Thems the choices,

Caporegime
This is where me not being a graphics snob really pays off, the experience means more to me.

Plus I never got caught up in the high refresh-rate monitor hype, and still game at 60hz, so the 72hz of the Quest doesn't bother me at all.

Ignorance is bliss :D

Soldato
To me there is a noticeable difference between 60hz and 75hz (the monitor I have) and I've also had a 144mhz too and coming down to 75hz was not as unpleasant as I thought. So for me the Quest is fine. Only disappointment I have is lack of decent native games and the slow release of them that is a real killer for me more so then the picture quality. If it wasnt for the link to the PC I would have sold the Quest. Its that nature of the PC owner in the ability to tinker with it that keeps me using it. Its why I dont like consoles as you cant tinker with them.

Soldato
OP
This is where me not being a graphics snob really pays off, the experience means more to me.

Plus I never got caught up in the high refresh-rate monitor hype, and still game at 60hz, so the 72hz of the Quest doesn't bother me at all.

Ignorance is bliss :D

Hz is a different ballgame with VR as the lack of smoothness can make you rather ill.

Soldato
There is a massive difference in smoothness between the Quest and PC VR in my experience. I love the Quest, it's an incredible device stand alone, and it's great that we now have the ability to connect to a PC either wirelessly or via a cable, but the difference is night and day when comparing the Quest to a dedicated PC VR solution running at 90hz or above. Everything feels far more fluid.
Plus of course the Quest is almost never running at native resolution, even on the link cable.

Soldato
Hz is a different ballgame with VR as the lack of smoothness can make you rather ill.

I don't think the lower Hz makes you sick. They picked the 72hz because it's the lowest refresh rate they could use before flicker becomes noticeable for most people. They would have went lower if they could because what actually makes you sick is when your frame rate drops below the refresh rate.

Soldato
OP
I don't think the lower Hz makes you sick. They picked the 72hz because it's the lowest refresh rate they could use before flicker becomes noticeable for most people. They would have went lower if they could because what actually makes you sick is when your frame rate drops below the refresh rate.
It was in response to a comparison with a monitor.

When you have nothing to compare it to then it can still feel fine. Like someone said ignorance is bliss.

Don't think I've had a monitor that has made me physically sick. It's more to do with the rotation and depth and your brain just says, no :D. I am sure there is a more scientific explanation.

Caporegime
Don't think I've had a monitor that has made me physically sick. It's more to do with the rotation and depth and your brain just says, no :D. I am sure there is a more scientific explanation.

Still, as I haven't experience better, I can just enjoy the Quest for what it is until an upgrade comes around.

I have no desire to be tethered to my PC, I can play normal games for that ;)

Back
Top Bottom