Oculus Quest (Santa Cruz)

Associate
WHat a day!
finally unpacked my Quest,
getting it started up and the chair and room layouts done was easy enough,

getting the headstrap right was a PINA!, and you really goto make sure the strap is sat right under the back of yours skull

it then isnt too bad,

getting the direct connection to PC was also not too bad, to the point i hadnt realised i was actually sat looking at my desktop lol not sure if it makes a difference but i have a 34" LG AW so theres a lot of desktop there,

had a quick go of the superhot demo, very cool,

setting up VD and side quest, was simple enough right up to installing it onto the headset, it just did not like it, after several restarts and turning the headset off and back on, it sorted itself and let me install VD on the Quest,

so think im there, just need to play a real game now lol

it does get a bit confusing with all the different desktops, never know which home screen im in,

before getting the quest i just imagined it would be like looking thru 2 holes in a headset at this virtual world

but literally am blown away, if it wasn't for my marital distractions and having a job to go to id still be there!!

next thing is to get the headset to recognise my xbox controller, coz some of my games dont work with the included oculus controllers, according to steam, like elite dangerous,

also what do peeps use to clean the lenses, can you use a clean dry microfibre cloth ?

Soldato
It was in response to a comparison with a monitor.

Don't think I've had a monitor that has made me physically sick. It's more to do with the rotation and depth and your brain just says, no :D. I am sure there is a more scientific explanation.

I was talking about the difference in quality between Quest and say Rift.

with regards to monitors curved ones make me dizzy.

Soldato
OP
WHat a day!

getting the headstrap right was a PINA!, and you really goto make sure the strap is sat right under the back of yours skull

it then isnt too bad,

getting the direct connection to PC was also not too bad, to the point i hadnt realised i was actually sat looking at my desktop lol not sure if it makes a difference but i have a 34" LG AW so theres a lot of desktop there,

setting up VD and side quest, was simple enough right up to installing it onto the headset, it just did not like it, after several restarts and turning the headset off and back on, it sorted itself and let me install VD on the Quest,

it does get a bit confusing with all the different desktops, never know which home screen im in,

before getting the quest i just imagined it would be like looking thru 2 holes in a headset at this virtual world

but literally am blown away, if it wasn't for my marital distractions and having a job to go to id still be there!!

next thing is to get the headset to recognise my xbox controller, coz some of my games dont work with the included oculus controllers, according to steam, like elite dangerous,

also what do peeps use to clean the lenses, can you use a clean dry microfibre cloth ?

Setup the Xbox controller via the phone app

I use https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZEISS-Lens...ens+wipes&qid=1587483937&sprefix=ziess&sr=8-3 for cleaning

Soldato

The Xbox controller is plugged into your PC (or wirelessly to your PC) it doesnt need connecting to the Quest. Think of the Quest as a monitor plugged into your PC when using VD or Oculus link. All the rest is your PC.

I use Eco Mist and a fine microfibre cloth but I dont clean them that often as I keep them covered up with the lens cover at all times when not in use.

Soldato
WHat a day!

it then isnt too bad,

Wow very exciting. Looking forward to hearing more as you get into it.

Did you use a specific guide to setting up side quest and virtual desktop? I know there are a few online so if you used a really good clear one and can link it that would be great.

Associate

The Xbox controller is plugged into your PC (or wirelessly to your PC) it doesnt need connecting to the Quest. Think of the Quest as a monitor plugged into your PC when using VD or Oculus link. All the rest is your PC.

I use Eco Mist and a fine microfibre cloth but I dont clean them that often as I keep them covered up with the lens cover at all times when not in use.

thanks for the help guys, Xbox controller is paired with my PC so should run ok then,

Wow very exciting. Looking forward to hearing more as you get into it.

Did you use a specific guide to setting up side quest and virtual desktop? I know there are a few online so if you used a really good clear one and can link it that would be great.

I got some direction on here and also watch a video from BMF quite like his videos, but you will need to pause n play to follow him thru as he doesnt hang around !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5fWoYi5100

good luck :)

Soldato
WHat a day!

Just shows that you need to experience VR for yourself to know what it's actually like. Those who dismiss it as a gimmick like 3D movies (which ironically are not a gimmick when watched in VR) don't know what they're missing.

Associate
Just shows that you need to experience VR for yourself to know what it's actually like. Those who dismiss it as a gimmick like 3D movies (which ironically are not a gimmick when watched in VR) don't know what they're missing.

yep you are not wrong! but then i love 3D as well its not a gimmick only to those who dont understand or appreciate it, but i guess like VR you prob can get a poor example of VR/3D, but when you get a good experience it changes your life :), I am well versed in the art of ripping 3D discs, so will have to get a few movies loaded up to watch,

Associate
As of just now (8pm) argos is showing limited stock of 64GB quest. If you have an "argos-in-sainsbury" you can order one and pick up there.

Caporegime
Messing around with Richie's Plank Experience last night, and omg flying around the city with rocket boosters is so much fun, they need to make a AAA game using similar mechanics.

It would be awesome flying around like Iron Man (ish), or slinging webs like Spidey. Attack On Titan would similarly be awesome.

Soldato
Has anyone played about with Oculus Tray Tools? I use it to up the resolution when using link but since the update I can't get the microphone to work in game when connected with the link cable.

I've seen that mentioned as a bug on the Oculus website forum I think it was solved by either downgrading the desktop software or not using beta or something, check their forum support out.

Soldato
OP
Messing around with Richie's Plank Experience last night, and omg flying around the city with rocket boosters is so much fun, they need to make a AAA game using similar mechanics.

It would be awesome flying around like Iron Man (ish), or slinging webs like Spidey. Attack On Titan would similarly be awesome.

You can get those experiences/mechanics via PC VR (link/VD/ALVR)

Spidey/aot - windlands
Superhero flight - megaton rainfall

:)

Associate
day 2 of owning my quest was less exciting today :( tried to play elite dangerous and assetto corsa, elite loads fine, really enjoyed the view from the hanger,,, not sure i could keep up the excitement for years sat in there not being able to move,
i could use my xbox controller to exit the game and that was about it, but not as fun as assetto corsa, i realised after staring at the little assetto corsa symbol sat on the screen for 10 minutes, that it wasn't going anywhere, and a quick search revealed, its only actual gameplay that loads to the headset! so got that working, and WOW really great visuals, but couldn't work a thing with any controllers,
my question is, do i need to configure the xbox controller etc in the flat screen game 1st, and will that work once i load the VR version,

also tried loading/playing project stardust x wing, how do you get this to load/pay, i tried just starting the application in its downloaded folder, but that just loaded to the desktop screen, and even then could not get passed the main screen,

its def meltdown day here lol

Soldato
day 2 of owning my quest was less exciting today :( tried to play elite dangerous and assetto corsa, elite loads fine, really enjoyed the view from the hanger,,, not sure i could keep up the excitement for years sat in there not being able to move,
i could use my xbox controller to exit the game and that was about it, but not as fun as assetto corsa, i realised after staring at the little assetto corsa symbol sat on the screen for 10 minutes, that it wasn't going anywhere, and a quick search revealed, its only actual gameplay that loads to the headset! so got that working, and WOW really great visuals, but couldn't work a thing with any controllers,
my question is, do i need to configure the xbox controller etc in the flat screen game 1st, and will that work once i load the VR version,

also tried loading/playing project stardust x wing, how do you get this to load/pay, i tried just starting the application in its downloaded folder, but that just loaded to the desktop screen, and even then could not get passed the main screen,

its def meltdown day here lol

That sounds very strange, there should be no difference in using the controller on normal pancake gaming and playing on the quest linked to the PC.

Check if your controller is actually working in flat screen mode.

Associate
That sounds very strange, there should be no difference in using the controller on normal pancake gaming and playing on the quest linked to the PC.

Check if your controller is actually working in flat screen mode.

maybe i should have said its not configured for any of the games! only build my pc recently, and only COD games installed,

installed elite dangerous/assetto corsa yesterday, obviously previously played them, just not on this setup

Associate
run steamvr
run Project Stardust

thanks,
thought i did that at some point, double clicked the .exe but think steam VR was already running, but couldn't use the controllers to select the options, the options would highlight, but nothing happened which ever button combination i pressed,

but will try it tomorrow from the start,

maybe im trying to run before i can walk, and should try some dedicated oculus games 1st, quite fancy vader immortal

Associate
I've seen that mentioned as a bug on the Oculus website forum I think it was solved by either downgrading the desktop software or not using beta or something, check their forum support out.

Ahh it works fine when I'm not using tray tools, it was a tray tools update that I was talking about! Nevermind, I can play without it but it's just nicer to have that sharper resolution in Onward!

Back
Top Bottom