Oculus Quest (Santa Cruz)

Soldato
I still think longer term that eventually we'll see PC dependent VR solutions dropped in favour of dedicated mobile devices though.

I would be all for that once powerful enough mobile hardware is available and doesn't weigh a ton on your head :D

Owning both the Rift and GO you can certainly tell the difference between the two, the GO is already on the limits for weight vs comfort.

Soldato
Yeah, I actually had the oculus go for a week but returned it as I found the lack of 6DOF, dual controllers a deal breaker for a VR platform. The comfort wasnt great either with all the weight at the front. Graphics/hardware wise it was ok though.

I'm going they improve and fix these issues in the Quest.

Soldato
maybe one day mobile will be good enough... however the problem is is whilst it is true in 5 years time mobile hardware could be at the level of a GTX 1080 specced PC now

but even if this is true.... what level will a high end gaming pc be at that point? ... and will it be able to run the games built for windows in my steam or oculus library?

maybe one day in the future HMDs such as the "quest 2.0" will be optionally able to hook up to a pc in "rift mode" or disconnect and work independantly. for the best of both worlds (the VR version of the switch).

until that day however i am perfectly happy being tethered to my pc.

Associate
maybe one day in the future HMDs such as the "quest 2.0" will be optionally able to hook up to a pc in "rift mode" or disconnect and work independantly. for the best of both worlds (the VR version of the switch).
As much as i would love this, I can’t see it ever happening. Oculus have said the Quest will complete the end gen 1 for them, so it seems they have a set target audience in mind, Oculus Go for media and some light gaming.
Oculus Quest for wireless standalone gaming.
Oculus Rift for the main PCVR gaming.
Allowing the Quest to plug into a PC would eat away at the Rift sales, maybe this is the reason why a wireless Rift adapter hasn’t even been talked about yet.

Soldato
i dont think it will happen for the quest coming next year... but i fully expect these devices to "merge" at some point in the future.

surely the end goal will actually be some sort of "AR" glasses which work like google glass, however press a button and the lenses black out to become VR.

we are a ways off this yet, however my gut feeling is oculus will make more money off software and advertsing than they do hardware sales, so as long as it is using the oculus platform, i would not imagine they would mind if it was a device which covered multiple demographics.

just a guess tho.

Soldato
I'm looking forward to Quest because I really want to ditch the cord and not be tied to my PC. I don't have much room to move around in my attic room, so being able to move around in larger areas is massively appealing, even with the reduction in power of Quest compared to my desktop.

Soldato
Rumours that Oculus Rift V2 is being cancelled?

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-next-generation-oculus-rift-2-headset-for-pc

I'm guessing this means Oculus are giving up on PC based VR to focus entirely on their mobile based platforms (Quest/Go) ?

I wouldn't base too much of an opinion on what eurogamer write about PCVR. Every time they can smear a passive aggressive agenda over any slight negative to do with VR, they do so. They have a token guy that seems generally invested in PSVR that writes in a positive fashion, but even then there are always one or two lines of passive attacks completely unrelated to the review and more to do with shortcomings related to gen 1 tech for trolls to munch on in the comments.

Regardless of the validity or otherwise of any of this business, the high end hardware isn't going away.

Soldato
Thought I'd update the thread seeing as it sounds like we haven't got long to go until launch of the Oculus Quest. It looks like most of the best VR apps like Beat Saber, Rec Room, Space Pirate Trainer, Superhot, Moss, Robo Recall, etc... are all coming out shortly on Quest...

https://www.oculus.com/blog/quest-countdown/

Complete game list on this Reddit thread

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQues..._games_and_apps_plus/?st=jtsxulsm&sh=def52138

I'm intending on buying one at launch! Anyone else hyped? :cool:

Soldato
Feeling a bit frustrated we don't have a release date yet but all things point to a release within the next couple of months. I guess they'll probably spring it on people one day like the release of the Oculus Go where they literally announce its available to buy..

Soldato
I imagine that Robo Recall will be included with the Quest, like it is on the Rift. If the gameplay has been ported unchanged and it looks as good as the screenshots, then it's going to be a system seller (along with Beat Saber).

Associate
I'm definitely getting the Quest! I've got my Rift for the more PC intensive games (which will be upgraded to Rift 2 or some other headset in the future) but the un-tethered nature of Quest is going to be great and more importantly will let me and my non PC owning mates meet up for a game or two in VR :).

Associate
Amazon 'accidentally' set the 128GB version pre-order page live yesterday. Went down quickly but some people got orders in and they haven't been cancelled. Speculation is pre-orders might start today when they release the next blog post at 4pm. Would be 2 weeks before F8 so seems plausible. Not long to find out.

Back
Top Bottom