Oculus Rift Dev ownership - My thoughts

Permabanned
OP
300 usd is roughly £197 .... soo tempted.. what kind of spec pc do you need to run this?

I'd say i3, gtx 650 (the newer one) 4gb ram, pref SSD, nothing out of the ordinary, I'm gonna test with an AMD integrated chipset. It only needs to render at 1280x800 maybe plus a third overhead for the dual eye projection.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
What type of video connector do you get on these? Is it DVI only and is it some sort of pass through cable that fits inline to your current monitor (I see most plays duplicate the rift on the monitor). I run 2 screens on my 760 and wouldnt want to mess about unplugging one of the DVI cables for the screens. I have a 3rd output in the form of HDMI I suppose.
I have my screens mirrored, the rift accepts a 1080p signal nicely with some free anti aliasing. Supported inputs are hdmi and dvi, no VGA or display port

Associate
the rift accepts a 1080p signal nicely with some free anti aliasing.

How do you mean? I thought it would only take the 1280 x 800 signal?

I don't speak with much experience, maybe 10 minutes as I only got mine today and had to to go work.

First impressions... AMAZING! I can see so much amazing potential. I now wonder how quickly I can build game with zero experience.

Tonight will be spent playing about with other demos and stuff. Can't wait.

Soldato
John Carmack joins Oculus as chief technology officer

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-07-john-carmack-joins-oculus-as-chief-technology-officer

Legendary brain-box John Carmack has joined Oculus VR, the company behind Oculus Rift, as chief technology officer. He will apparently lead development from Oculus HQ in Dallas, Texas.

However, John Carmack will also remain in some capacity at the studio he co-founded in 1991, and is synonymous with, id Software.

Moments ago, Carmack tweeted: "My time division is now Oculus over id over Armadillo. Busy busy busy!"

Soldato
Cool. About time I must say :)

Not sure why Oculus needs him now though, they seem to have everything under control. Maybe his expertise on everything to hone that product to final production.

Display evaluations, cost reduction, latency reduction, positional tracking, driver and SDK development, FOV improvements, reducing visual distortions, Kinect integration and new controller technologies, ... He should be busy indeed!

Associate
If nothing else, having him on board will make more people take notice of Rift. He is one of the biggest names in gaming. It's like have Stephen Spielberg as your film's Executive Producer - it's good even if he doesn't lift a finger!

From my point of view, this is very exciting. While RAGE was one of the most boring games I have played for a long time (purely because I had played Fallout 3 and Borderlands already, before playing RAGE) the engine was out of this world. Now, if you get that engine working nicely with Rift, that would be amazing. Id tech 5 also really nicely integrated with consoles... it was actually nice to see such good graphics on the consoles... will that integration work well with Rift? Are we taking Rift to the PS4 and XBone?

Even if you take none of his tech and previous work along and we don't touch id tech 5... John will bring a wealth of knowledge and hopefully make the Rift grow even bigger. The more people who buy in, the more support for the device there will be, the more games we will see moving forward.

Last edited:
Soldato
Carmack is a good hire for a couple of reasons; firstly he was an early evangelist and I doubt they would have got anywhere without him.

But the key thing, and you have to listen to his tech mumbo jumbo is that he's been HEAVILY invested in latency. The marketing spiel about Rage was always megatextures, but technically the interesting thing was the effort Carmack put in to shorten the duration of the render pipeline. Rage was VERY responsive to player input, you probably didn't notice it so much playing it on a regular screen - but that focus on reducing latency is incredibly important in VR (if you don't want people throwing up all the time).

Edit: Relevant Link - http://www.altdevblogaday.com/2013/02/22/latency-mitigation-strategies/

Last edited:
Associate
Rift has been about all I have talked about since I got it, so much fun. However, I found myself with some bad motion sickness after playing Dishonored with it last night. I found that moving the mouse while also moving the head did it.

I also don't think that the kit was configured properly. I think the eyes must have been out of alignment slightly. Also not helped by the fact that I usually wear glasses and use the rift without them.

How are you getting on with the motion?

Before that I had done the Titans of Space tour and that was absolutely fine, but that is designed for Rift whereas Dishonored was definitely not.

Permabanned
OP
No rift game should require you to forcibly move your head view around with the mouse, it's asking for motion sickness.

Soldato
I just ordered one, couldn't wait any longer :)

Any good sites I should be keeping an eye on for support other than the main forums?

If I can play Fallout 3 etc, ill be over the moon :)

Soldato
Mine's on its way, hopefully sooner rather than later. I was already busy developing a space game using Unity when the offer came out, but the fact the $300 Rift comes bundled with $300 worth of Unity Pro subscription made it an absolute no brainer for me.

The downside is i've had to put my space engine on hold because I need to have the Rift to work out how scaling works in true VR.

This was a test run I did with the world scaled at 1:1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7zEDXrijVE

The Battlestar is 1500m long, the Earth is 12000KM across.

Back
Top Bottom