** OCULUS RIFT VR HEADSET SAVE £200 LIMITED PERIOD ONLY **

Soldato
I would say your RAM will be fine. Should come with everything you need to plug and play. Main stumbling block for most will be the gfx card with the current lack of supply due to miners:

Recommended/Minimum Specs:

a0j8oym.jpg

Lifted from the Oculus support site: https://support.oculus.com/help/oculus/170128916778795/
Can I just check that this needs 3 USB 3.0 PLUS 1 USB 2.0.
I.e 4 USB ports?

I thought it was 1 X USB 3.0 for the Headset, 1 X USB 3.0 for the sensor and 1 X USB 2.0 for the Xbox One controller?

Associate
Im thinking of grabbing one of these for driving sims and Elite... But i'm currently unsure if my CPUs will be powerful enough.

Im running a 2012 Macpro 5,1 with 2x Xeon X5675 cpus, a GTX1080 GPU and 24gb ram...
The Oculus spec checker says the CPUs arent good enough, other guides suggest a Firestrike score of 9200+ is fine and I get 14500+

My CPUs are 2x 6c/12t 3.06ghz (3.46ghz boost), so 12core/24thread... Whereas the suggested Min spec is 4c/4t 3.3ghz (3.7ghz boost)

If your CPU is on par with mine you should be fine, it's all about the GPU...I think there is a steam vr test, anything above 10 is gravy...I got an 11

Associate
Can I just check that this needs 3 USB 3.0 PLUS 1 USB 2.0.
I.e 4 USB ports?

I thought it was 1 X USB 3.0 for the Headset, 1 X USB 3.0 for the sensor and 1 X USB 2.0 for the Xbox One controller?

With Touch controllers you get an extra sensor, so you need an extra usb3 port. Ideally for 360degree tracking you need 3 sensors, so add another usb3 there. The current thinking is 2 in the mobo and 2 in an expansion card (more than 2 in one controller can lead to issues apparently), the oculus recommended card is about £25 i think, I have it and it works fine (Fresco logic i think)

If you only play cockpit games you only need one sensor for headtracking.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmm interesting, Ive not been following this and it is a good point that maybe the Oculus could end up being the Betamax of VR?

Well Facebook back the Oculus Rift so possibly it cannot fail but i dont know what is going on behind the scenes regarding the legal situation with Zenimax. Also not sure if FB are prioritizing desktop vr or more rather mobile vr solutions. The uptake on them has been far greater.

Permabanned
Once the technology catches up the market will be flooded with VR headsets that do much the same thing, it's just a matter of time.

I don't think Oculus support will be valued all that much to be honest, steam is already the first place to go because the Oculus refund policy on software is that they don't do refunds.

Associate
Thanks B2BSlow.

So at the moment there should be only 2 sensors with this bundle.
Is 360 experience not possible with 2 sensors?

Some people have got it working by placing the 2 sensors facing each other and standing between them, but I've only got 2 and the setup tells you to put them in particular places, it's a bit finecky actually.

Once the technology catches up the market will be flooded with VR headsets that do much the same thing, it's just a matter of time.

Current Rift is good for a couple of years fun n games yet though

I don't think Oculus support will be valued all that much to be honest, steam is already the first place to go because the Oculus refund policy on software is that they don't do refunds.

I think Oculus have aligned with Steam, 2 hours play and/or 14 days when I was looking at the Oculus sale items...they did reserve the right to refuse though...and I haven't tried to refund anything yet.

Soldato
So I placed an order for one of these... mainly for Elite but wondering what other games out there I could use it with?
Assetto Corsa/PCars are other candidates, but whatabout FPS type games?

Does DOOM work with this at all?

Associate
There will be Doom VFR later, but so far it's only been announced for the HTC Vive so far. Zenimax and Oculus have have a bit of a falling out. It's listed on Steam, but I'd best not link here as age restricted.

Soldato
OcUK Staff
OP
Checkout onward Vr

Doom Vr
Fallout 4 Vr
Resident Evil 7 Vr (2018 officially)
Dirt Rally
Alien Isolation (probably within month not official)
Half-life 2
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=923491647

You forgot half-life 3 VR - BOOM CONFIRMED

Also confirmed is another 50 units of stock with another 100 on the way. Fill yer boots before they disappear. I'll give forums an hour before i throw something up on facebook and twitter. GO GO GO

Back
Top Bottom