Oculus Rift

All they've done is add 20% VAT, what about Customs? Whenever ive tried moving something through thats come in at around 20% too, although its been a few years i do recall it was more or less 40% back when VAT was at 17.5%
Is there exemptions made because its not a consumer product, its a pre-production model or something?
Trying to get an import tax rate from the HMRC site is like getting blood from a stone! STFU telling me all the cruddy rules and tell me what its gonna cost! :mad:

Yeah, no. It's never been 40%. You pay 20% VAT and that's it, if you've already paid VAT (Which is what customs charge you) upon purchase, then you've paid your VAT and no customs fees would be due.

Yeah, no. It's never been 40%. You pay 20% VAT and that's it, if you've already paid VAT (Which is what customs charge you) upon purchase, then you've paid your VAT and no customs fees would be due.

Hmm, im assuming though that some things do require duty and tax, this just happens to fall under something which is just taxed.

Im going back about 6-8yrs though, when they increased the duty by 12% over a year, going up 1% every month. That was some time ago, when i was importing fairly regularly, and i seem to recall that when i'd get that knock on the door the fee would end up being around 40%. That being the combination of duty and tax, not the duty alone.
It was what it was, but i wouldnt dispute the £280 being absolutely everything you'd pay (which is a fantastic price!), i just seem to recall paying silly amounts a while back and i dont know whats exempt and what isnt, wasnt sure if this was covered for a specific reason (DK not commercial) or as it appears, the whole monitor sub-section seems to be duty exempt, which surprises me.

Ordered through paypal,

Charge will appear on your credit card statement as 'PAYPAL *OCULUSVRINC'
Payment sent to occy sales

From amount £286.53 GBP

Can't wait :).

I really want to order these and i think it's really keenly priced. But the problem is once i get i can see it gathering dust not because it isn't amazing but quite simply i don't have time to use it!

I'd rather wait until the time i will actually use it and buy it then,

1) Will know if has become the standard by then
2) Specs will be improved (2K on third generation, 4K on the forth)
3) Be cheaper still

Last edited:
I really want to order these and i think it's really keenly priced. But the problem is once i get i can see it gathering dust because quite simply i don't have time to use it!

Use it for a couple of months, get bored, sell on ebay for a profit......awesome sauce!

Well thats my plan anway :D

Use it for a couple of months, get bored, sell on ebay for a profit......awesome sauce!

Well thats my plan anway :D

I don't think i would get board of it, just a time factor in my busy life. I barely game anymore, maybe 2-3hrs a week, if that!

I can see this being amazing for racing games, 1st person RPG's and FPS's which is what i mostly play anyway.

But i'm done with buying stuff that i don't use until much later and by then i could have bought it half the price, happens to me quite a lot

Back
Top Bottom