Oculus Rift

Would be cool, if it had some sort of augmented reality, so hands kryboard/mouse/joystick. Could be shown on the goggles, but the rest of the surrounding was in game. Of course games would have to design the cockpits or whatever with room for such devices, if you glance down to look at them.

indeed that would be very cool. I imagine though it will work best for example if you are piloting a plane/mech/car or whatever and have the correct peripheral for the job (joystick/wheel) and look down to see what you are using.

You just connect via HDMI or DVI, and then a USB cable for the head tracker. It's treated as a monitor - there aren't any drivers to install.

As for a cinema experience, it's already been done with an actual virtual cinema and yes, it does feel like you're actually sat in a cinema (there are different cinema/screen sizes to choose from). There's a link below to some video I recorded of a test event. There were 40-50 of us altogether in the same cinema at one point in the evening.

If you want to see some media actually being watched in the virtual cinema, use the link in the 'about' section on the YouTube page to download an extended version. I just didn't want to worry about potential copyright problems by posting the entire video on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf4hTrKH-38

Yeah, i found a similar video of that same application, im not sure i need to feel like im actually in a cinema, but i just want that same sort of field of view that a cinema screen occupies, rather than the tiny window you get with 99% of tvs.
It'd be a little inconvenient, but if i can switch the Rift HDMI cable between my gaming PC and Media Server (they're sat about 6" from each other, although i'd have to use HDMI extension cables, as they'd need sliding forward about 1m to get to the GPUs sockets) and watch films on the Rift from time to time, that'd be a big plus.

As long as its acting like another monitor then i dont see it being much of an issue working with XBMC.

indeed that would be very cool. I imagine though it will work best for example if you are piloting a plane/mech/car or whatever and have the correct peripheral for the job (joystick/wheel) and look down to see what you are using.

I'd say that it's not the peripheral that does it, but your virtual avatar's connection it.

One of the most surprising reactions I've had myself was with the Live For Speed demo and the Rift patch (using a G27). I didn't realize at first that you could turn on the drivers body. When I did, it looked pretty cool in the Rift, but there was a moment when I was going round a corner and I glanced down to see the virtual arm of the driver corresponding with where my real arm was on the G27. That was a massive "whoa" type moment for me - there was a genuine sense of connection between me and the virtual body in the Rift.

Yeah, i found a similar video of that same application, im not sure i need to feel like im actually in a cinema, but i just want that same sort of field of view that a cinema screen occupies, rather than the tiny window you get with 99% of tvs.

You can actually turn the cinema graphics off, or just use another program called VR Player instead. For some reason though, I don't like watching a cinema size screen that's just surrounded by nothing. It just doesn't feel right to me, though the option is there if you want it.

Last edited:
When is this out? I need it now :(

I think most of us are hoping at least for some DK2 news from GDC next month. You can still buy the DK1 (limited stock now), but at this stage you're probably better off waiting.

In other Rift news, the Star Citizen Hanger got a Rift patch today, but compared to Elite: Dangerous Rift support, it's a bit half-baked really.

OR has amazing potential for movies. I could be tempted to get one for that sole reason. Pair them up with a good pair of headphones and use CMSS to virtualise the 5.1 and you've got yourself a VR cinema :D

I'd say that it's not the peripheral that does it, but your virtual avatar's connection it.

One of the most surprising reactions I've had myself was with the Live For Speed demo and the Rift patch (using a G27). I didn't realize at first that you could turn on the drivers body. When I did, it looked pretty cool in the Rift, but there was a moment when I was going round a corner and I glanced down to see the virtual arm of the driver corresponding with where my real arm was on the G27. That was a massive "whoa" type moment for me - there was a genuine sense of connection between me and the virtual body in the Rift.
Having spent about 8 years in LFS, its a fantastic game, and Scawen is great for implementing things like the Rift, but at the same time reading about the implementation only frustrated me further. Its been dying for so long, there used to be a cracking racing community on there, and these days its pretty poor. Rockingham was announced 3yrs ago, and the VW Scirroco was being released 4yrs ago last xmas, then delayed because they realised the tyre model wasnt good enough and since then nothing has really changed. The early days, every month or 2 felt like a decent step forward (not surprising for pre-alpha) and they had S1 & S2 a few years on, and now nothing.
The community was begging for content, i havent a clue what Eric (models) does any more, its like its just Scawen & Victor (web - and the plans on updating LFSW seem to have stopped too).

Its slow death led to us closing down our successful team, which was more like a family, because there just wasnt the drive to keep doing the same things, the same MoE races season after season, and if theres no drive to practice hard it'd be pointless turning up and ruining our reputation. That was 4yr ago, and its still a decision i hated making, which wouldnt have been required if they'd bothered adding content (paid content).

You can actually turn the cinema graphics off, or just use another program called VR Player instead. For some reason though, I don't like watching a cinema size screen that's just surrounded by nothing. It just doesn't feel right to me, though the option is there if you want it.
I wouldnt want to use anything other than XBMC really, to go back to a media player just wouldnt be as functional. I'd want to jump in bed, use a WMC remote and either watch a film on the Rift or shows on the TV. Messing with a mouse cursor and file system would just be a step back, i'd leave it connected to the gaming PC instead and not bother about films. It shouldnt be a problem if it acts as a monitor though, it'll just show whatever XBMC shows. Not sure on 3D content unless its SBS, but thats not a big issue.

I think most of us are hoping at least for some DK2 news from GDC next month. You can still buy the DK1 (limited stock now), but at this stage you're probably better off waiting.

In other Rift news, the Star Citizen Hanger got a Rift patch today, but compared to Elite: Dangerous Rift support, it's a bit half-baked really.
Yeah, its good seeing them start adding basic functional support for that, and let the community with the DKs help shape it a little, im sure the developers can come up with something themselves but more people providing ideas/suggestions can hopefully hit upon better implementation and benefits (not unfair benefits).

OR has amazing potential for movies. I could be tempted to get one for that sole reason. Pair them up with a good pair of headphones and use CMSS to virtualise the 5.1 and you've got yourself a VR cinema :D
Yeah, this is what im thinking. Star Citizen alone looks like as good a reason to get it, but if its effortless to also use it for movies, fantastic.

I'm not sure this will work well in an fps as you will have to aim with the Oculus.

It's horrible for FPS. As soon as you move the mouse to control the virtual body, you get instant motion sickness. Your eyes say your body is rotating, but your ears say you're sitting still. IMO, OR will really only work (and work very well) with racers and and sims.

I've used my mate's kickstarter one and it's awesome, even on on non full HD but it just won't work for FPS games.

Yeah ive been saying the same to clanmates, who've said it'd be fantastic for BF being able to run around and look freely, but i can imagine it wont take long before your neck cramps up because of the importance of keeping your head still, even if the crosshair is independent of head movement. You've got the scenery, enemy, head and gun crosshair, all moving independently and its a game of precision!

Games where there isnt too much movement required, or its fairly predictable should be perfect. Racing sims will be a little tricky to get used to though, cos im so used to having a fixed viewpoint and find 'look into corner' settings rather off-putting.
You need first person games, where the head tracking and FOV makes you feel inside the game, i cant imagine games like Assassins Creed or Batman types being as satisfying, they're not trying to create immersion by default, so the Rift wont be able to achieve it either.
The demo of the RTS looking game with the goblins walking around (i think) could be interesting though, but again, probably not much different really to playing on a monitor.

It's horrible for FPS. As soon as you move the mouse to control the virtual body, you get instant motion sickness. Your eyes say your body is rotating, but your ears say you're sitting still. IMO, OR will really only work (and work very well) with racers and and sims.

I've used my mate's kickstarter one and it's awesome, even on on non full HD but it just won't work for FPS games.

Maybe for you, but there are plenty of people who disagree.

I've spent about 30 hours in TF2 so far with no ill effects. There's also a made for Rift FPS called TimeRifters which is regarded by the VR community as one of the more polished indie games so far. If you look at most of the demos that are released by the community, most of them are FPS style demos.

However, HL2 tends to make a lot of people (including me) feel bad. After all my time with my Rift, HL2 is still about the only thing that can make me feel ill after half an hour to an hour, and it's a slower paced game than TF2.

Also worth noting is that some people are drastically more susceptible to simulation sickness than others. Bizarrely, my dad who is a total non gamer doesn't have an issue, and he's tried various demos for up to an hour or so at a time. A friend of mine though who is a gamer, can't last 5 minutes in anything. For me, it took about two weeks to get over feeling ill when playing anything. The Crystal Cove prototype apparently is a lot more comfortable for people who tended to feel dodgy from the Devkit, generally attributed to the spatial tracking it has and the low persistence display that gets rid of most of the motion blur.

Last edited:
That'll be about £350 to the door though, and i'd imagine by the time we get to a consumer model we'll be looking at £400 at least, assuming some of the mass production savings is offset by the addition of retailers into the chain.

Thats certainly spec'd good enough for what i'd expect, so if the consumer release can be a tad higher resolution, that'd be fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom