Oculus Rift

That'll be about £350 to the door though, and i'd imagine by the time we get to a consumer model we'll be looking at £400 at least, assuming some of the mass production savings is offset by the addition of retailers into the chain.

Thats certainly spec'd good enough for what i'd expect, so if the consumer release can be a tad higher resolution, that'd be fantastic.
If you go through to the final checkout page you get the breakdown to
Development Kit 2 $ 350.00 1 $ 350.00
Subtotal: $ 350.00
Shipping: $ 35.00
Fees, Duties & Taxes: $ 77.00
VAT: $ 77.00
Amount Due: $ 462.00 which is about £280.

So it's basically 1920x1080, split in half?

Exactly, Im not sure the bump is a big enough one but would need to see it to know.

Oh nice, this is really tempting me now. Especially since its my birthday soon as well :D

Do you guys think the consumer version will be dramatically better than this dev kit?

Pretty reasonable really. Very tempting :D Presumably the consumer version won't be out this year

All they've done is add 20% VAT, what about Customs? Whenever ive tried moving something through thats come in at around 20% too, although its been a few years i do recall it was more or less 40% back when VAT was at 17.5%
Is there exemptions made because its not a consumer product, its a pre-production model or something?
Trying to get an import tax rate from the HMRC site is like getting blood from a stone! STFU telling me all the cruddy rules and tell me what its gonna cost! :mad:

All they've done is add 20% VAT, what about Customs? Whenever ive tried moving something through thats come in at around 20% too, although its been a few years i do recall it was more or less 40% back when VAT was at 17.5%
Is there exemptions made because its not a consumer product, its a pre-production model or something?
Trying to get an import tax rate from the HMRC site is like getting blood from a stone! STFU telling me all the cruddy rules and tell me what its gonna cost! :mad:
I think last time they had a distribution centre in UK somewhere so everything came from there and thus the end user wasn't subject to import tax. At least I didn't pay any. Might be different this time around though.

Is anyone going to get that Dev kit 2? Im wondering how close that will be to the final product and if its worth getting now.
Im so eager to try this.

I think last time they had a distribution centre in UK somewhere so everything came from there and thus the end user wasn't subject to import tax. At least I didn't pay any. Might be different this time around though.
Thats possible, but if its getting imported from the US to the distro, i'd still expect the import tax to be applied into the cost, you'd just be paying more for the actual product before tax & shipping.

I thought the consumer model was supposed to be out at the end of the year?
Almost, its coming out at the end of *A* year :D
I think most people have accepted it'll be another 12mo, better done properly than done when an open release date is met. Unless you're EA

Tempted to order, if I don't like it could easily sell on at cost due to availability.

Are there any games that can be used with it reasonably, not interested in just messing about. But would like to try out a few games if they are properly customised for VR + controller?

Last edited:
Tempted to order, if I don't like it could easily sell on at cost due to availability.

Are their any games that can be used with it reasonably, not interested in just messing about. But would like to try out a few games if they are properly customised for VR + controller?
Thats what I did with dk1 had it for 4 months passed it around a lot of my friends then sold it and lost about £6. Tempted to do the same again

Are there any games that can be used with it reasonably, not interested in just messing about. But would like to try out a few games if they are properly customised for VR + controller?

Out of the box Rift supported games I have :-

Doom 3 BFG
Half Life 2
RetroVirus
Kairo
Strike Suit Zero
Team Fortress 2

Also you have the VorpX drivers, which adds Rift support similar to the way normal Nvidia stereoscopic 3d drivers work - so it's hit n miss with each game.

DK2 isn't expected to ship until July - based on that I'd be frankly amazed if they shipped the final unit before the years end.

I think I'm just going to have to give in and order it!

What about Skyrim, seen that being used?

Do you have to buy the VR versions of these games again or are they already patched in? For example my copy of HF2 on steam, would that just be plug n play?

What about Skyrim, seen that being used?

Do you have to buy the VR versions of these games again or are they already patched in? For example my copy of HF2 on steam, would that just be plug n play?

I think Skyrim is used with the VorpX drivers. I sold my devkit 1 before the drivers were released.

IIRC the games with full support just check to see if the Oculus is plugged in via usb and then gives you the extra options. Can't remember if some had small download updates.

Ordered. Sounds amazing. I think the res will be ok - not great, but the biggest problem with the DK1 was the screen door effect. This should be much better, plus a faster pixel response time.

Should I sell my DK1 now, or hold onto it as a collector's piece?

Back
Top Bottom