1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oculus Rift

Discussion in 'Virtual Reality' started by Kosmiche, Jan 21, 2013.

1. NeilFawcett

Capodecina

That's bizarre considering it's got things listed in the library I don't want in there (eg: GuardianBoundayEditor.exe)... The fact you can't even reorganise the library into folders is a real weakness too!

2. NeilFawcett

Capodecina

Anyone got a link to some VR videos I can download and try to a VR player for the Oculus?

3. FlukeRogi

Wise Guy

I generally don't bother with VR video (and I'm in the camp that 360 video isn't VR) as it's pretty much universally bad quality. However if you want one that's just about watchable (and especially if you were a kid in the 80's), take a look at Miyubi. It's a stand-alone app, so no video player required.

4. Mr.Cookie

Wise Guy

Allumette is nicely done too, although i've only watched it on psvr.

5. FlukeRogi

Wise Guy

It is, but it's realtime, not a video. Realtime stuff can be really good (Henry, Lost, Invasion etc), but video is generally pretty terrible. There's a hybrid type one on PSVR called the Joshua Bell experience. What they did there was to video the two musicians separately at a hi resolution and 60fps, and then composite them back into the scene which they were filmed in which was reconstructed in proper 3d via photogrammetry.

6. Devrij

Capodecina

Well there's always SLR ;)

7. Mr.Cookie

Wise Guy

Yeah wasn't quite sure what to class it as, that invasion one was good too. Will check out the others you've mentioned :)

@Devrij SLR ?? (i know i'm going to regret that :D )

8. Shiari

Gangster

The video (whether 3D or 360) is pretty meh in my experience. For 360 video you'd need massive files to keep any semblance of sharpness across the frame, and for 3D it takes a lot of faffing to pick a workable mode and settings that work okay-ish for the given video, as the usable area for objects flying out of the screen is pretty small (or you'd see them with one eye only) and not every size of viewing distance might work for every video. Even after all that is solved (and Miyubu is so far the only video I've seen that has decent quality) it's still jarring to me that the camera position is fixed.

You can try Bigscreen Beta to play with it.

9. NeilFawcett

Capodecina

Yep, I really am just after some 3d VR videos to try.

10. NeilFawcett

Capodecina

Tried oculus tray tool yesterday.

I ran a couple of VR demos with default super sampling and then it set to 1.5. Couldn't see any difference and indeed the GPU usage was unchanged too?

11. Shiari

Gangster

Did you change the super sampling before starting these VR demos? You can't change it on the fly. Also, the difference would be subtle and best seen side by side, but it can make text more easily readable in particular.

12. NeilFawcett

Capodecina

Yes.. Even stopped and restarted the Oculus service using the tool too? Surely I should notice a GPU hit at least?

13. Shiari

Gangster

Depends what you are running it with, I guess?

Edit: this thread has some example screenshots: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/51256/pixel-density-examples

Also, you should be able to verify current settings with the overlays available through the tray tool (the overlays and the pixel density settings are actually done through the oculus debug tool, the tray tool just makes it a lot easier).

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  14. Devrij

Capodecina

Definitely NSFW if you're going to try it out lol

15. NZXT30

Wise Guy

Anyone else has disabled Spud on the Rift? It made a massive improvement for me on dark scenes, there is no way I could go back to having it on. It fixed all my annoyances.

16. grant666uk

Hitman

Eh ?? Spud ? As in Spud the speed hoover from Trainspotting ?? Am confused !

17. smilertoo

Mobster

no idea what this spud is.

18. Mr Badger

Mobster

19. NZXT30

Wise Guy

20. ScoTTyBEEE

Wise Guy