Oculus Rift

Associate
Just did an impulse buy and purchased Expect You to Die. Good game, sorry I waited so long to pick it up.

I had the same impulse when it was in the sale a few weeks back, only had a small session on it so far but enjoyed what I played. Supposed to be a new level released yesterday/today as well I think?

Soldato
I had the same impulse when it was in the sale a few weeks back, only had a small session on it so far but enjoyed what I played. Supposed to be a new level released yesterday/today as well I think?

That's why I bought it, most of the complaints were that it was too short. They have started to release new levels so now it's worth the money :)

Soldato
I remember reading somewhere that getting an HDMI to DP connector for the Rift could potentially result in a slightly better image in terms of colour due to HDMI's limitations, Any truth to this ?

Associate
I don't recall ever reading anything about that. What i do remember was some people were saying that they improved their colour via hdmi by changing the "output dynamic range" from limited to unlimited. Apparently some nvidia drivers used to default to limited and the only way to change the value was to plug in a monitor to the hdmi or dispplay port (normally used for your headset) on your pc change the value, and it would stick for the headset. I also read someone saying the same method could be used for colour saturation, but i think that doesn't work anymore (if it ever did, as i did not try myself).

Associate
I remember reading somewhere that getting an HDMI to DP connector for the Rift could potentially result in a slightly better image in terms of colour due to HDMI's limitations, Any truth to this ?
Didn’t the Rift need to connected via HDMI to work? I tried with a adapter to my graphics card first because because of a lack of HDMI ports on the back of my card and it just didn’t work at all

Soldato

\if there are limitations in HDMI. Then having the signal pass through HDMI would surely undo anything made better by DP

Associate
There is no "it works better" when it comes to digital signals (DP, HDMI, DVI). It either works or it doesn't, as it's a digital signal nothing can affect the signal quality.

(Disclaimer: there are "cables" that do modify the signal quality, but they have inbuilt processing hardware, it's not just a cable).

Soldato
There is no "it works better" when it comes to digital signals (DP, HDMI, DVI). It either works or it doesn't, as it's a digital signal nothing can affect the signal quality.

(Disclaimer: there are "cables" that do modify the signal quality, but they have inbuilt processing hardware, it's not just a cable).

I don't think you understand. The improvement Dicehunter mentions is not from the physical cable, it's because in some cases, especially with Nvidia cards, that it sets the colour space to limited instead of full when using the HDMI connection. That's why some people are getting improved picture quality when using a DP to HDMI adapter.

Soldato

Not entirely accurate. thats why DAB is crap in some cars.

Its a series of 1's and 0's it if misses one of those then that information gets missed. But your correct its not like analogue when a picture would get fuzzier do to poor signal. With Digital it either gets it or it doesn't. We used to have issues with Nicam stereo being digital if the TV missed a 1 or 0 it would then make a pop sound as that is what it interpreted the missing code to be

But I suppose we may be arguing the same point but calling signal quality different.

Associate
I don't think you understand. The improvement Dicehunter mentions is not from the physical cable, it's because in some cases, especially with Nvidia cards, that it sets the colour space to limited instead of full when using the HDMI connection. That's why some people are getting improved picture quality when using a DP to HDMI adapter.

I do understand, and yeah, Nvidia cards used to default to "Limited RGB" when connecting a monitor over HDMI (maybe they still do sometimes?), it then requires manually changing that in the settings for that monitor from what I recall when it happened to me. I have no idea if that also happened with the Rift though, I guess it might have. Not at all related to the cable or "signal quality" though, just the connection type that's in use and a strange choice from the manufacturer to limit what can be output if a particular connection is in use.

My point was simply that there's no such things as "better" or "worse" signal when it comes to digital connections .. it either works or it doesn't (sure, it can drop out from time to time such as with DAB). Digital signals aren't immune to a loss of signal quality, it's just that it doesn't affect the output like an analog signal can be affected.

Soldato
Playing elite dangerous last night doing some intense dog fighting with a bounty in an asteroid belt around a planet and with the Rift it gave me the biggest cheshire cat grin ever, Immense ! :D

Back
Top Bottom