Oculus Rift

Soldato
I think it may have to do with the fact that in VR, although your eye divergence to focus is the same as real life, the focal length always stays the same. I guess the strain is your eyes naturally trying to change focal length as you look at different depths.

Conversely I suffer from age-related presbyopia (inability to focus on close objects due to the eye's lens losing its elasticity). This is a real pain to have to deal with in real-life as you either have multiple pairs of glasses for different distances (I have to have special glasses for computer screen use for instance), or use varifocals which cause all sorts of image distortions. :( As VR fixes the focal length to six feet I can read everything in VR (resolution permitting!) using my distance prescription. :D

That's pretty amazing, though of course it'd be nicer if the VR screens were higher resolution so I could read distant text easier too. :rolleyes:

Associate
Other than being annoying that something isn't working 100%, doesn't it still actually achieve the desired result? i mean the lenses are still moving apart right?

While it will bring things into focus, the other side of it is the actual rendering. The IPD value is reported to the drivers, which is used to adjust the distance between the virtual cameras. While you might not notice it if the software IPD value is out by a mm or two, the camera IPD value affects how you perceive the scale of the virtual world.

If you set the software IPD at half of your normal value for example, the virtual world scale would seem twice as big (doing this was actually a work around for the wrong scale in Hawken back in the DK days).

Soldato
Why do I get this!!

So for the past 2 hours I've been trying to set up my new Oculus Rift that I just got, but its been a hassle. Now whenever I run the software the program says, "Not Enough Space The oculus rift need 6.37 gb of storage." Thing is I have a spare 437 gb on my Cdrive

Associate
Anywhere still selling for £350?.....drunk on Rum, will order if so :)

Why do I get this!!

So for the past 2 hours I've been trying to set up my new Oculus Rift that I just got, but its been a hassle. Now whenever I run the software the program says, "Not Enough Space The oculus rift need 6.37 gb of storage." Thing is I have a spare 437 gb on my Cdrive

Ooh arr me hearty, that be the grog. :p

As for a sensible response... all I can offer is check that the Oculus software is trying to install on your C drive rather than another?

Permabanned
Why do I get this!!

I had this issue. It's a common problem, can't recall the fix, just google it.

Soldato
Is the teleportation method of movement normal? Robo recall, steam VR and blade runner all used it and I find it a little disorientating especially in a faster paced environment like robo recall. Is this just because moving with a thumb stick would increase the change of motion sickness?

The BBC ISS experience is fantastic, I did NOT have to grab my desk to stop myself falling over......not at all......
Try running around in minecraft, just feels wrong lol

Associate
Just a heads up for people using the latest 1.22 Oculus beta and Oculus Tray Tool. The combination has been causing issues and the author stated a it needs some reworking to make it work properly with this release.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/580150/#Comment_580150

I've gone back to using the Oculus debug tool for upping supersampling and turning off asw while the author looks to update the app.

Soldato
Just a heads up for people using the latest 1.22 Oculus beta and Oculus Tray Tool. The combination has been causing issues and the author stated a it needs some reworking to make it work properly with this release.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/580150/#Comment_580150

I've gone back to using the Oculus debug tool for upping supersampling and turning off asw while the author looks to update the app.

Thanks for the heads up. I went to play some games on the Rift today and had a few problems exactly as described. Glad to know it's not anything serious.

Associate
Try running around in minecraft, just feels wrong lol

I had a quick go, find it really ok and fine. Turning not so much, as that's still a 45degree "jump", but running around was fine for me. I was seated so maybe that's the difference.

Playing payday 2 the other was not so great. I got use to it, but the constant little teleports around can easily make me disorientated.

Back
Top Bottom