Oculus Rift

Soldato
The resolution is bad on the CV1 if you use the Oculus Go you immediately notice how much better it is.

Probably depends what you are playing/using it for... I'm always surprised by how good games like Robo Recall look when I try them again, the art style seems to really hide the lack resolution and they look fantastic.

Equally playing flight sims or racing sims, or just games with a lot of fine detail in general, the lack of resolution is glaringly obvious and I personally find it very immersion killing.

Soldato
The Oculus Go is much, much sharper than the Rift, so the Rift S should be similar. It's not just due to the higher resolution, it's because of the RGB stripe subpixel arrangement. SDE is greatly reduced and text is far clearer. For flight sims and racing sims the Rift S should be a significant improvement. For space sims like Elite it remains to be seen, as the black levels will be worse.

Soldato
Hmm i preordered the Rift S with Amazon incase I want to return it if Im not happy with it over the Rift.

I do not wish to start a Index Vs Rift S battle, but is there any comparison data or spec comparison which someone could point me to? Surprisingly googling "Rift S Vs Valve Index" doesnt seem to yield a lot of "official/ indicative comparisons"

Soldato
I'm sure the Index will be better than the Rift S in terms of visual fidelity and audio, but then it is (if you have to start from scratch) over twice the price.

Soldato
For space sims like Elite it remains to be seen, as the black levels will be worse.

Not just space sims of course, any game that has a lot of dark places.

That said it will be intriguing because while OLED as a technology is capable of much better blacks than lcd, in the rift it doesn’t actually switch off to reduce black smear. Basically if you totally switch an oled pixel off there is a time delay associated with switching it back on which can lead to smearing... so the rift has never actually had “true” oled blacks.

Last edited:
Soldato
So from what I understood. The index is going to have pretty good resolution compared to the rift s.

I supposed that's going to be important for racing games and games with text details like flight Sims?

Associate
So from what I understood. The index is going to have pretty good resolution compared to the rift s.

I supposed that's going to be important for racing games and games with text details like flight Sims?
I don't think there is much difference between the two actually in terms of res but overall with the lens tech yes, index will be better- I would pick up an index over a rift s if the cost difference was not so high. Might not be so bad if you have vibe already

Soldato
I have a Rift at the moment. Ive preordered the Rift S to see if its worth it.

Question is, is the higher refresh and better resolution sufficient reason to pay more than 2X the price?

(presumably there is nothing can be used from the Rift when going to the Rift S right?)

Associate
The Oculus Go is much, much sharper than the Rift, so the Rift S should be similar. It's not just due to the higher resolution, it's because of the RGB stripe subpixel arrangement. SDE is greatly reduced and text is far clearer. For flight sims and racing sims the Rift S should be a significant improvement. For space sims like Elite it remains to be seen, as the black levels will be worse.

It's definitely better for flight sims than the original Rift:

https://uploadvr.com/dcs-developer-on-oculus-rift-s-cockpit-resolution-i-can-read-everything/

Soldato
Probably depends what you are playing/using it for... I'm always surprised by how good games like Robo Recall look when I try them again, the art style seems to really hide the lack resolution and they look fantastic.

Equally playing flight sims or racing sims, or just games with a lot of fine detail in general, the lack of resolution is glaringly obvious and I personally find it very immersion killing.

Once we see some Rift Vs Rift S vs Index screenshots, I'm sure I'll eventually sell my Rift 3-sensor setup. I don't mind the resolution for the more simple games, its not noticeable but for something like Skyrim, I'd much rather be putting into use that 1.5x super samplng.

The lack of OLED on the other two just makes me feel like horror games will just not be as immersive though. But then again, Rift blacks aren't as good as my PSVR blacks.

Soldato
Bugger! It looks like my next job is this. Should be a fun fix.

Unfortunately, this wasn't the issue with my headset. There's a ribbon cable from the back of the strap to power the rear LEDs and the left/right audio, which goes through the right side armature into the headset. There's a loop of the ribbon cable to take up the slack for the headstrap tension adjustment. Over time, the flexing of the cable caused it to crack. This is fixable by soldering tiny wires to bridge the crack in the trace on the cable. Rifts are a pain to completely dismantle.
In the meantime, I did manage to pick up a replacement headset from the bay with a faulty cable and a damaged headphone for £2.20 + postage. The headset works flawlessly with my cable and earphone from my under repair HMD.
50743309342_f2ff8e8c04_o_d.gif

Soldato
Can't fault Meta customer support. They're sending me a replacement CV1 main headset cable.

Nice one!! :)

Meta's customer support is usually very good. Haven't had any problems any time that I have had to deal with them.

I know people complain about them all the time and about how they ended support for the Rift S after two years. etc. etc. But they are still sending out replacement cables for the Rift S and the Civ 1. Which is pretty good, considering the price of those cables!!

Soldato
I just bought another CV1 fixer-upper for £2.42 plus postage off the bay 'does not display images' Looks like it may be another dodgy cable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom