Oculus Rift

This would be insane - buttkicker for vehicles, some kind of haptic feedback for fps. Guns with positional tracking - dont the have this already for wii? I can see lots of injuries as people go crashing into stuff, better get those disclaimers water tight!

Oh yeah it will be really mad and strange but meh somit to try at least once eh. :D

There is also a kickstarter on the go called make VR..think sort of CAD/MAX...looks smart
http://sixense.com/MakeVR

check the vid on the page for an overview.

Games need to made for VR instead of just adding the Oculus Rift to existing games...think this will be hit and miss and lucky if its a good VR experience.

In the hands of developers now, the oculus is 3D as well...nice :)

I'm really quite excited about the prospect of playing with 3d worlds with one of these.

There's now an open-source custom 3d driver with the Rift called vireio and people are trying to get it working with the Rift & existing games.

So far a few games with partial / full support:

- Left 4 Dead
- Half-Life 2
- Portal 2
- Skyrim
- Mirror's Edge
- AaaaAAAAA!!!!!!!!
- Unreal Tournament 3
- Dear Esther
- DiRT 2

Obviously games will be better supported if developed with the Rift in mind.

Can you imagine playing Amnesia with one of these on? :o

Got a few of these at work, crazy feeling on the rollercoaster demo. The low res is the main problem for me on the dev kits. I'm sold already though.

Wonder how the rift will be with gamers who use keyboard and mouse especially games where you use a lot of the keys on the kb like sims i would imagine. Or if you need to type messages in chat ingames, i probably would be fine as i know the kb well enough not to need to see but what about ppl who need to look at the kb when using the kb?

I wonder what the best games would be for this.

I can imagine horror games making good use of it with things jumping right at you and it would feel like its really coming after you. Lol say amnesia maybe or whatever that popular horror game is or was it pnumubra or somit?

Last edited:
Fed up with games with multiple cut-scenes giving that "movie experience" if I want to watch a movie I'll go see one. Games for me on the the other hand are about pure immersion, the environment, the sights and sounds.

That's why I'm so excited about the Oculus Rift.

What games would you like to see compatible?

For me, Fallout 3/NV.

Last edited:
Apparently retrofitting old games to work with the Rift has given mixed results. I'd much rather see new games optimised properly. The next Fallout, the next Elder Scrolls, the next... Mirror's Edge. And Half-Life... 3.

Initially I didn't really like the idea of the Rift, but after watching a few play videos I think it could be a very good thing for gaming in terms of immersion, especially for rpg games, so long as they have taken the time to incorporate the features properly.

The thing I'm not liking is devs bringing it into games and using it in completely the wrong way it was inteded to be used, but this might be a side effect of tacking it onto games that don't support it natively.
It should work exactly like TrackIR, just that you have the screen in a headset, that's it.

None of this "looking controls aim" or "looking turns the character", it should be your head movement, that's it. Anyone who's used trackir can attest to that and any other method is a *******isation.
I do look forward to this a heck of a lot, it's going to add a whole new level of immersion and will be prevailant in the games I mostly play, (flight sims/space sims/arma etc).

Last edited:
I can't wait. At Thorpe park many years ago when I was 15 or something I remember playing on the really early VR games and was blown away then, I didn't think it would take another 18 years before the first home version would appear! :mad:

The thing I'm not liking is devs bringing it into games and using it in completely the wrong way it was inteded to be used, but this might be a side effect of tacking it onto games that don't support it natively.
It should work exactly like TrackIR, just that you have the screen in a headset, that's it.

None of this "looking controls aim" or "looking turns the character", it should be your head movement, that's it. Anyone who's used trackir can attest to that and any other method is a *******isation.
I do look forward to this a heck of a lot, it's going to add a whole new level of immersion and will be prevailant in the games I mostly play, (flight sims/space sims/arma etc).

They will probably have a menu with different ways to use the headset so you can choose. No doubt there will be other control methods coming along now, keyboard and mouse just won't cut it for much longer. Some kind of LEAP controller (version 2 maybe) for the entire torso or something like that that will allow you to hold your hands out so you know where your weapon is in relation to your head and body.

They will probably have a menu with different ways to use the headset so you can choose. No doubt there will be other control methods coming along now, keyboard and mouse just won't cut it for much longer. Some kind of LEAP controller (version 2 maybe) for the entire torso or something like that that will allow you to hold your hands out so you know where your weapon is in relation to your head and body.

I don't really see the kb/mouse going away for a very long time, we have to accept not everyone is going to get all these new methods of aiming and to be fair, finesse and accurate movement on a mouse pretty much trumps all that.

While it's a stepping stone, holding out my hands grasping nothing but thin air and actuating invisible objects with every little shake/movement vs mouse, I know which I'd rather pick. It's why physical guns/on screen shooting went the way of the dodo in my opinion, it's great for some short term fad, long term it's awkward.

(MP wise)
The other issue is movement, WSAD is simple, mouse to aim equally so.
When you use up your hands for holding in game items, where does movement go? when you want to type or do we really expect everyone to be using voice comms and switching between control methods just to facilitate what we have already.I love the idea but realistically it sounds bad in action.

For me it's Accessibility, Price, Fidelity and Support, if it's a solo game then some options are viable but if it's a mp game where I can just use a kb/mouse then I've already had enough experience with controllers/joysticks/tracking etc to tell me what works and what doesn't, what wins over another method.

Edit: Although I do understand these are stepping stones to something better.

Last edited:
I'm hoping this will be a step up towards something like "sword art online". Whilst it wouldn't attach to our nervous system (we aren't there yet) we have the tech to create gloves which would interact with the 3d world.
To give the object a physical presence we could have some kind of jelly like object that solidifies into different shapes depending on the object in question.
We have noise isolation earphones which would be suitable for sound.
I imagine we could create the effect of running on a physical surface using something like the thing from lawnmower man where you stand in this device and it spins around altering your center of gravity (someone help me out here I can't remember what it's called)

This kind of tech at this stage of maturity will appeal way more to rpg type games rather than fps games.

I don't suppose anyone near coventry has an occulus I can try out???

Last edited:
It would be epic for flight sims, but given these rely heavily on keyboard input how would you we know what keys we are pressing unless we are epic touch typers?

Haven't read through the thread just yet but I'd love a 1st person view in a PES or FIFA game, obviously were decades away from the true virtual reality I dream of for such a game but it wouldn't hurt to already be there in terms of perspective on the pitch.

It would be epic for flight sims, but given these rely heavily on keyboard input how would you we know what keys we are pressing unless we are epic touch typers?

You would either learn to touch type (not that hard to be honest) or you would use something other than a keyboard.

You would either learn to touch type (not that hard to be honest) or you would use something other than a keyboard.

If you have a HOTAS the buttons should be muscle memory anyway, but i do see your point, not everyone will have a HOTAS. There are devices like the Hydra, ive seen someone playing FPS with those and it was very responsive. But yeah, were going to be looking at a lot of new tech to complement this if it really takes off, and other than motion sickness, I cant see why it wouldnt.

Besides, I really need the exercise! This isnt a Rift by the way, but you get the idea.

Back
Top Bottom