Oculus Rift

Associate
Huh? Not quite sure why the last 2 posts are in the rift thread :D

Well the first was simply answering the question, having had the issue, rather than ignoring it cos its not the right place. If they're considering spending money on a new wheel because they think theres a hardware issue, it'll be money wasted.

Associate
I'm sad to say I'm selling my DK2

It was fun to play with and test games and demos but it hasn't properly been used for a few weeks. It is a great piece of hardware but as far as playing games properly on it goes its not there yet.

I don't even think that is the resolution - more the weight on head and hotness of it after about 30 minutes of play. Also starting to feel nauseous after 10-15 minutes on proper games (rather than things designed for it) I think the longest I played was Laserface, Discovering Space and Richard Burns Rally at around an hour each.

I would rather it go to a good home that sit on the side of my desk doing nothing - plus the fact I have just had to pay for 2 lots of flights for holidays this year and have skiing coming up also

I'll be doing the same. It was great to play with but mine has had hardly any use for several weeks now. I don't regret buying it though.

Well if either of you two do decide to sell do let me know,, I did have a post in the wanted section of the MM.
Regards,
Martin

Associate
my advice would be. If you have waited this long then you can wait a bit longer for the consumer version. The dk2 is not designed for consumers (yeah lots of us bought them) and when it is released it should have a much more immersive and streamlined experience. Saying that i don't regret buying mine but i just lend it to people to try so they won't buy their own

Associate
CV1 will fail big time. reason 75fps is minimum requirement. now how many systems out there can manage 75FPS at all time?

CV1 = win if you have latest 980GTX or higher with current games. maybe

Soldato
I thought CV1 was going to be 120hz? So 120fps minimum (therefore more like ~240fps minimum)

DK2 is 75hz / 75fps * 2 minimum. When Alien Isolation dropped below ~140fps it was juddery as hell and un-playable.

Good luck to people buying CV1

Is there any confirmed specs for CV1 now? Originally it was 1440p, 120hz... 240fps at 1440p :eek: - more than do-able in basic demos and things designed specifically for CV1, but not do-able in actual games

Soldato
Plus oculus don't have a reputation for releasing devices that only work with super computers. The issue of getting it to run on multiple specs will be issue number 1 of many and by then we'll be two years on from the dk2.

Associate
I agree with the above - the new one will definitely be out this year with a higher resolution screen which is the number one gripe with it currently so would recommend holding out. I don't regret getting mine as I had spare cash and some games are absolutely awesome like elite and I've recently been playing Assetto with wheel/pedal setup.

It's definitely the future and will be ordering cv1 for sure!

Soldato
Apparently they're just re-showing the Crescent Bay prototype again :( I am hoping for a bit more info, but its not going to be the next generational leap from CB approaching CV1 announcement that I was secretly hoping for...

Associate
This week sorry yep! No new information announced yet :( the omni treadmill doesn't look that comfortable also!

However being in the areil atom in Assetto is my favourite rift moment so far.

Soldato
My 3 month old DK2 just sold for £370.
You would be pretty stupid not to buy one as I will have made £20-£30 when fees have been taken

Associate
If the CV1 does get a 1440p screen gonna need a beast of a card to run games not designed from the ground up for it.

Long term i think game developers for mainstream games will need to take into consideration the gpu tax to get them running smoothly on a rift, maybe introduce smarter scaling system for graphic settings. You ever notice how in many games if you switch from medium to low settings it suddenly looks like 1996 tomb raider... they just switch everything off :p

Associate
My 3 month old DK2 just sold for £370.
You would be pretty stupid not to buy one as I will have made £20-£30 when fees have been taken
I thought I'd try to get one on the cheap from a certain auction site but they all kept going for silly amounts. So straight to the website and bought one new for around £300 and it was despatched within 3 days.

Back
Top Bottom