Oculus Rift

Soldato
It has two perspectives though, so it does have to do things twice.

Hopefully 1440p at 75+Hz will be a bit easier by late next year. That's maybe why it's taken so long.

Yes but it's doing it on 1/2 a screen, unlike alternate frame 3D, so you don't have to render twice the frames as each eye only uses 1/2 the screen

Soldato
Until we get a go date on CV1 there really isnt any way to say. Summer is looking likely so if thats worth it to you, then go for it. Do be fully aware of the limitations though.

Associate
I really, really want one of these, should I order or should I wait??

Personally I'd wait. I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but I don't think the experience is good enough to use for gaming over a sustained period right now. It's a very cool gadget to show off to friends for little 5 minute demos, but its not something I'd want to spend a serious amount of time using.

Soldato
Personally I'd wait. I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but I don't think the experience is good enough to use for gaming over a sustained period right now. It's a very cool gadget to show off to friends for little 5 minute demos, but its not something I'd want to spend a serious amount of time using.

This 100%.

Yes its great, however I do regret £280 for about an hours usage so far.

It's convinced me that when its 1080p per eye I will be buying one though.

Associate
I really, really want one of these, should I order or should I wait??

Since you've had a couple of replies saying wait, I'll go with the opposite opinion. There are a couple of "ifs" though. If the cost isn't an issue, you're fine with using basically prototype hardware, and you have a decent PC, then go for it. As for getting any use out of it, here's my usage with VR games for the past 2 weeks according to Steam:

BlazeRush: 3 hours
Toybox Turbos: 7 hours
Lunar Flight: 1 hour (172 hours total!)
Shufflepuck Cantina: 9 hours
Radial-G: 1 hour

You can probably add about 6-7 hours on Elite to that as well. My point is that there is some good content available, and it's playable. I can understand why some people would rather wait though. You have to accept that the res is low at the moment, but for me, the overall experience outweighs the loss in resolution.

BTW, for anyone with a Rift, I really do recommend picking up a copy of BlazeRush :)

Last edited:
Soldato
This 100%.

Yes its great, however I do regret £280 for about an hours usage so far.

It's convinced me that when its 1080p per eye I will be buying one though.

err yeah, id eBay that! There are limited extended experiences you can have, simming, some fps like AI, but if youre not getting wowed by the stuff/apps designed for it (movie viewer, rollercoaster, space explo, games like lunar flight and that hooky one) youre probably better off recovering your money whilst you can and waiting for the big commercial apps that will come with CV1.

edit - im also switching to an nvidia card so i can try out DCS, as a flight sim nut this is my holy grail so anything to do with that is a wet dream and easily worth the dosh.

Last edited:
Soldato
edit - im also switching to an nvidia card so i can try out DCS, as a flight sim nut this is my holy grail so anything to do with that is a wet dream and easily worth the dosh.

Done that, massively immersive however due to the lack of res gauges and buttons are unreadable which makes it really difficult, as is using the HUD.

Theres a workaround too that you have to use otherwise while using oculus the mouse pointer will not click buttons, a quick google should find that.

It looks great but like I say the res is a letdown and almost the only drawback IMO.

Soldato
So for someone getting the Rift what are the must have games/demos/tech demos to really show off its capabilities.

Currently I have
Elite Dangerous and Alien Isolation to try it with when it comes but want more.

Associate
I need someone who lives near me, to own one of these. I can then have a try before I buy session.

I'm so torn as I have the money but would rather get the consumer unit but if the gaming is OK on the dk2 then I'll drop the money now on it.
Anyone live near Plymouth, Devon :) ?

Soldato
I need someone who lives near me, to own one of these. I can then have a try before I buy session.

I'm so torn as I have the money but would rather get the consumer unit but if the gaming is OK on the dk2 then I'll drop the money now on it.
Anyone live near Plymouth, Devon :) ?

IMHO it's just that, OK.

I would really be saving my money instead had I managed to have a go first, its good but its not worth the price knowing a better version is on its way.

I guess thats the same with all tech, however I reckon you will kick yourself if you buy now, I sort of am a little but its great to try out

Soldato
IMHO it's just that, OK.

I would really be saving my money instead had I managed to have a go first, its good but its not worth the price knowing a better version is on its way.

I guess thats the same with all tech, however I reckon you will kick yourself if you buy now, I sort of am a little but its great to try out

Sell him yours.

Associate
So for someone getting the Rift what are the must have games/demos/tech demos to really show off its capabilities.

Currently I have
Elite Dangerous and Alien Isolation to try it with when it comes but want more.

I'll reel a few off, non of which are that expensive either - BlazeRush, Toybox Turbos, Lunar Flight, Radial-G, Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe VR, Team Fortress 2.

As for demos/experiences, just check out the DK2 secton on the Oculus Share site. Titans of Space and Sightline: The Chair are must haves, though my recent favourite is Birdy King Land.

Soldato
Of course if you have HOTAS or a wheel, DCS and Assetto Corsa or a handful of racing Sims. My personal favorite use is flying but resolution to read dials and spot enemy aircraft is an issue, so you won't be competitive, but the immersion is something else.

Having said that, I get the feeling the CV will be out in the summer. If you can't afford to essentially blow 300 quid on 6 months might be better to wait.

Back
Top Bottom