Oculus Rift

Soldato
Looks like consumer level VR will be available this summer.

source: https://fortune.com/2015/04/21/htc-vr/

is there a price for the developer edition yet?

i mean why pay £400 or £500 for a DK in july if the consumer version will be out by Christmas?

But my heart is leaning towards the Vive rather than the Oculus now. I think the Vive will be aimed at desktop/room VR whilst Oculus seem to be focusing far more on mobile VR (will be interesting to see what the Oculus response to Valve is at E3)

Soldato
I dunno, Oculus is perfectly suited to desktop use at the moment. Vive can do the standing up walking around thing better.

I've recently started working on getting rift support into the Freespace Open codebase...interesting challenge!

Soldato
Well, the DK2 handles pretty much any movement with your head you can make while sat at your desk. As for immersion, well it is another level completely from playing on a monitor.

In Elite when you look down and see your space-suited arms moving the controls around...you are there!

When you play Alien:Isolation, the first time the alien stalks past your cupboard, turns, wrenches the door open and lunges at your face, you scream like a girl and tear the headset off. Well, I did anyway :)

Soldato
I'm currently using Trackir for my head movement fix , will oculus take this to another level then ? Never tried one so it's difficult to imagine the difference...

It's a massive difference, TrackIR is great for taking the immersion factor up a few notches but the oculus quite firmly plants you in the game.

Soldato
I believe Oculus do ship from within the UK or at least within Europe so import duty shouldn't be an issue.

I would personally hold fire for a 5-6 weeks until E3 is over as that is when most if any major announcements will be made.

Soldato
Right....sold.

Are these shipping from inside the UK now as I've seen people not getting stung for import duty etc

Be aware of the limitations though - read through the last couple of posts! Also, another thing that differentiates the DK2 from trackir is that whereas with trackir you have to twitch your head to look behind you, with the DK2 you need to.... well, look behind you. This means quite a lot more movement in a flight! Plus obviously resolution - you really cant fly competitively because you get hopped left and right and can only see ea quite close when they appear as a black square.

Massive plus of course is the sense of immersion. You get a real feel of the cockpit in 3D and a real sense of height (I mostly use it for DCS). Add a buttkicker and a hotas and it really is mentally immersive. Once the resolution kicks on, it will be the best way to experience flightsims.

Associate
(I mostly use it for DCS)

What are your spec's? I knew it was unlikely when I got it that I'd be able to run the game at a respectable frame rate, since I'm still using an old i7 920 (4.3GHz), but it was totally unplayable for me on an empty mission with no AI at all. Unless something drastic has happened since the end of last year which I've somehow failed to hear about, I expect almost anything with AI is still unplayable on the latest Intel..

It would be nice to know this is not the case and there is hope for the future of DCS with VR.

Associate
Thanks guys.....

I think I've set my expectations at an appropriate level now to not expect the future quite yet....but I'm willing to take the chance for a peek into it I think.

Will probably be needing a lot of help , but I'm actually looking forward to all the fiddling around now ;)

Soldato
EU DK2 orders are shipped from a UK distribution center and always have been.

You won't get hit with an import fee.

yeah but.....shipping and uk tax still bring it up to £300 or so

235 + 20% uk tax = £277
30 shipping approx

£307 at least. (and thats using optimistic conversion rate)

i will bite my fingernails down till E3 and buy everything else i need for the dk2 (graphics, chair, hotas etc) first :D

Don
Just pulled the trigger via PayPal for £315.

1-2 weeks lead time apparently.

If there is some announcement at E3 maybe dk2 owners will get first dibs ;)

I'm so weak when it comes to early adopter new tech....

I think you mean late adopter to new tech :p the DK2 has been out almost a year!

Soldato
Just pulled the trigger via PayPal for £315.

1-2 weeks lead time apparently.

If there is some announcement at E3 maybe dk2 owners will get first dibs ;)

I'm so weak when it comes to early adopter new tech....

I ordered mine a few weeks back, it shipped within 2-3 days, from the UK :)

Soldato
waiting for them to release the consumer version.. was tempted to pick 1 up a few weeks ago but I managed to resist the urge.. Mrs take the P*** out of me enough with my gaming etc.. she'd have a field day filming me with a headset on and not knowing I was being filmed.

Associate
I ordered mine a few weeks back, it shipped within 2-3 days, from the UK

mid gen......do you remember if it stated a lead time when you ordered ? It said 1-2 weeks for me...not sure if that is a standard disclaimer or realistic ?

Karateyid - Tell me about it....sit here with Astro A40s on , a trackir strapped to the side, and a X55 HOTAS.....i look like such a nerd.....this. is . not. going .to .help

Back
Top Bottom