Oculus Rift

Associate
Having bought and used the DK2 it's a fine piece of kit but the eventual winner in the VR wars will be the headset that has the most stable drivers and/or compatible games.
Having to manually tweak countless items to get it work is a hassle (especially if like me you forget what you've changed so can't play the game normally without resorting to lots of google searching)

Associate
It said 1-2 weeks when I ordered, shipped in a couple of days, shouldn't be long for you

You were not wrong mid gen !

"You're receiving this email because your Oculus Order #DQ-xxxxxxx is about to ship. Since the full balance has been paid, you should not see any additional charges."

A weekend faffing around with an Oculus would be a nice surpirse :)

Associate
You were not wrong mid gen !

"You're receiving this email because your Oculus Order #DQ-xxxxxxx is about to ship. Since the full balance has been paid, you should not see any additional charges."

A weekend faffing around with an Oculus would be a nice surpirse :)

Enjoy :)
Have you got a long list of demos/games to try?

Associate
I was hitting the google searches for "top 10 rift games to try" last night . Added a load to my wishlist in preparation.

I already have
Elite
DCS
project cars
Alien isolation
Assetto corsa
Euro truck

So if there are any recommendations on what I can use to demo it to friends and family to blow there minds I'm all ears :)

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
So what resolution per eye vs the DK2?

The DK2 was 960 x 1080.

CV1 will be the same resolution as the HTC/Valve Vive which is 1080 x 1200, depending on the optics, the Vive was considered a significant improvement over the DK2 which had little or no apparent SDE (screen door effect).

Basically it really does depend on software support and what exclusives Oculus have over the Valve HMD.

Soldato
DK2 is pentile matrix, so if the Vive is RGB I'd expect it to be sharper.

I've been doing some dev work on the DK2 recently. It's worth noting that the recommended texture target size (i.e. what your GPU should be cranking out in terms of pixels) is higher than the actual resolution of the HMD. Can't remember off the top of my head though, will check later in the debugger!

Don
I really don't want to wait until next year to give this a try, but equally I don't want to spend £300 getting the DK when the consumer release is out next year. I could get one second hand, but they come up very rarely on the MM and I don't want to risk ebay / gumtree :(

Caporegime
I quite fancy a setup with this, I'm aware I'll need a new rig though :/

Especially interested in it for the upcoming Titanic Honor and Glory game, I've been a Titanic amateur historian for nigh on 30years, this is as close as I'll get to exploring the ship!

Associate
I really don't want to wait until next year to give this a try, but equally I don't want to spend £300 getting the DK when the consumer release is out next year. I could get one second hand, but they come up very rarely on the MM and I don't want to risk ebay / gumtree :(

My feelings exactly. I wish I'd bought one last year. But like you say, to buy one now seems too close to the actual consumer release.

Back
Top Bottom