Oculus Rift

mid gen......do you remember if it stated a lead time when you ordered ? It said 1-2 weeks for me...not sure if that is a standard disclaimer or realistic ?

Karateyid - Tell me about it....sit here with Astro A40s on , a trackir strapped to the side, and a X55 HOTAS.....i look like such a nerd.....this. is . not. going .to .help

It said 1-2 weeks when I ordered, shipped in a couple of days, shouldn't be long for you :)

Last edited:
Hehe, yep I'm fine with just having bought a DK2. 8-9 months before consumer launches and I suspect a waiting list...and I am actually developing on mine not just playing games :)

Interesting to see specs....I suspect it may be Crescent Bay in consumer packaging.

EDIT :

The Oculus Rift builds on the presence, immersion, and comfort of the Crescent Bay prototype with an improved tracking system that supports both seated and standing experiences, as well as a highly refined industrial design, and updated ergonomics for a more natural fit.

So better tracking, sounds like 1440p display still and consumer grade packaging.

I have 2x R9 280x, although crossfire is useless with the rift as the latency is terrible. Single card runs ED, Alien:Isolation and stuff fine with a few settings tweaks.

I tried it out on my work PC which has a GTX 760 and it actually ran better, less chromatic aberration and smoother, although I haven't really spent any time tweaking drivers.

Worth it for you so far? You can also play stuff like HL2, TF2, skyrim, Assetto Corsa, DCS, on the DK2 though im mainly getting it for Elite.

I run a r9 290 but will probably get something like a 980ti or 390x for the consumer version.

Worth it for you so far? You can also play stuff like HL2, TF2, skyrim, Assetto Corsa, DCS, on the DK2 though im mainly getting it for Elite.

I run a r9 290 but will probably get something like a 980ti or 390x for the consumer version.

Yes definitely, Elite is amazing, you can just lose yourself in it, I spend most of the time just looking around at things. It's the killer app for the platform at the moment.

I've only run ED, Alien Isolation, plus stuff I'm doing myself and in UE4.

I have 2x R9 280x, although crossfire is useless with the rift as the latency is terrible. Single card runs ED, Alien:Isolation and stuff fine with a few settings tweaks.

I tried it out on my work PC which has a GTX 760 and it actually ran better, less chromatic aberration and smoother, although I haven't really spent any time tweaking drivers.

Using SLI I haven't noticed the extra frame of latency, so it may well be fine for you. Worth a shot anyway.

Yeah im running an i5-3570 with a GTX 970, flies great. The difference is about 50% gain on single threaded performance so its probably that.

That's great news! How far off is edge now though? :p

Last edited:
Hmm maybe I need to try with the different crossfire modes....as I said, not really spent much time messing with drivers yet.

Oh, I guess I didn't read properly and got the impression you were waiting for it to arrive!
As far as I can tell there's no noticeable difference, although I may be less sensitive to it than others, I can't stand vsync in shooters and always make config adjustments to remove any input lag in games I do play. I haven't touched the SLI profiles for anything with the Rift and have no experience with crossfire.

Question: Is this the best VR headset in your opinion?

The Q1 2016 release isn't another Dev kit is it? But the actual product finally releasing for shelves? I'm guessing we will see a price hike form the DK?

Dunno about the price hike. While it might be slightly higher (DK2 was more expensive than DK1) they've made a big deal about the sub $400 price point from the beginning.

No, this isn't another dev kit. This is the first official consumer version - CV1 as it's often refereed to.

As to which is better, only time will tell. Final specs for all three players (Oculus, HTC/Valve and Sony) haven't been announced for their respective consumer models. Even when they do the different ways the technologies can be implemented will all have their own benefits and costs attached meaning that there really is no point comparing until launch for each of them.

Or, just buy all three, like I have every intention of doing :)

1. Haven't tried another, so yes.

2. Q1 2016 is Consumer.

3. They've said it will be lower costing than the DK2, around "what it will cost to make"

Not expecting much of a price hike, probably more in the tens of pounds if if not the same. This is the commercial version first iteration, so no, its not a dev kit.

As to best - ooooooooooh, you're going to get a lot of opinion there. The Vive looks like its best for standing up and walking around experiences, the rift for seated. Mind you, im pretty sure we havent seen everything yet with palmer dropping serious hints theres an input device coming for the rift, so bit of this and a bit of that. theres also the hololens, which is AR and eye wateringly expensive (im thinking around the grand level, but thats based on nothing) so theres a little bit for everyone really. Depends what youre into.

They are saying they'll be releasing a lot of info including unannounced games, in the next couple of weeks and of course theres E3. Im looking forward to Game of Thrones announcement! Theoretically!

Back
Top Bottom