Oculus Rift

My feelings exactly. I wish I'd bought one last year. But like you say, to buy one now seems too close to the actual consumer release.

You will still be able to sell it on. Maybe not at top price but a couple of hundred at least i reckon.

Yeah E3 is barely 2 weeks away, Oculus will announce something about the consumer release, full specs and what control system they are using, they may even announce a pre-order date.

I have also heard they will cease selling the DK2 soon.

The HTC hive still seems the better kit to buy (imo)

I love the way people choose a 'better' one, considering 99% of people that make that comment have never tried it, and the product isnt even avaliable lol.

It's a bit like religion, people siding with one belief based on no evidence whatsoever and picking a winner.

As with religion, my opinion on vr is firmly Agnostic. I'll make my decision based on fact, and the DK2 is the only proof i've had so far........

Yeah I really have no idea what virtual reality set I will get yet. It will depend largely on the specs but the fact that the HTC vive is working closely with valve may end up edging it out for me if the PC game support is good enough. I'm glad there is a lot of competition between the two although it means they are both holding the specs of the retail version close to their chest to outdo each other.

I love the way people choose a 'better' one, considering 99% of people that make that comment have never tried it, and the product isnt even avaliable lol.

It's a bit like religion, people siding with one belief based on no evidence whatsoever and picking a winner.

As with religion, my opinion on vr is firmly Agnostic. I'll make my decision based on fact, and the DK2 is the only proof i've had so far........

Well, you could read any of the Vive reviews? A lot of them are from folks who've tried both. There's some definite mileage in the direction of the usual ati/nvidia type arguments but I'll be throwing money at the first with a decent setup and good looking backing behind it.

As things sit the Vive is in production by the end of the year, occulus is next year. That's... going to make a difference for sure.

Agreed on the generally agnostic though, going on reviews alone the Vive looks like the better of the 2. We'll see how the cresent bay based occulus release reviews though.

I agree with the point of basing it on reviews, however there are scores of people who have tried the dk2, me included, and I can see how it will be improved for consumer release.

The vive hasn't been properly given out as such yet, i reckon if it had been then there would be a lot more opinion.

e: i should have said that I can read reviews for any product, thats why i bought oculus to make the decision myself, doesn't mean it isn't a paid-for review, and that happens in an alarming amount of products these days.

Last edited:
ocr wont work until spectacle size.

no one sits with a snorkel on while gaming and enjoys it.

loads of hype for next 5 yrs before they can make it that small.

that's how it will work.

ocr wont work until spectacle size.

loads of hype for next 5 yrs before they can make it that small.

that's how it will work.

Again DG wading in with yet another uninformed opinion.

I found it perfectly comfortable and it blocking out the rest of the outside world helps, not hinders.

Let me guess, DG doesn't have one but is mates with 5/6 of the devs so has inside knowledge, thats the card usually played.

Approximately 2 years of playing various things in VR (including hundreds of hours in Elite Dangerous) says you're totally wrong.

When a gaming experience is lifted way beyond what you can experience on a monitor, you don't care you've got a box strapped to your head.

Approximately 2 years of playing various things in VR (including hundreds of hours in Elite Dangerous) says you're totally wrong.

When a gaming experience is lifted way beyond what you can experience on a monitor, you don't care you've got a box strapped to your head.

exactly my views. i've only experienced google cardboard which is hardly immersive, but i was totally blown away and as was everyone i've shown it to. As long as VR doesn't give motion sickness and isn't too heavy that your neck starts to quickly feel it, wearing a headset wont be an issue, and in fact i feel may improve the experience as you'll feel like you're physically entering the world.

exactly my views. i've only experienced google cardboard which is hardly immersive, but i was totally blown away and as was everyone i've shown it to. As long as VR doesn't give motion sickness and isn't too heavy that your neck starts to quickly feel it, wearing a headset wont be an issue, and in fact i feel may improve the experience as you'll feel like you're physically entering the world.

I would add 'doesn't make your face/head too warm' to that list too. I had issues with that when I used one to play Alien. I agree with you, but I think the motion sickness and heat are big hurdles.

If you think Google Cardboard is impressive, you've got a lot to look forward to.

As far as your neck goes, weight is a zero issue. Out of curiosity, my old set of kitchen scales weighs the DK2 at about 460 grams (in comparison, my cycle helmet is 300 grams).

I was listening to the ITRL podcast yesterday, and the guys on that were going on about the weight of the Crescent Bay prototype. Although they didn't have any numbers, they said that it felt like it was half of the weight of the DK2. So yeah, weight isn't an issue, and will be even better for the CV1.

You're still looking at a £100 loss though, which may even increase further after any E3 announcements

I think £100 is fair enough. i think when consumer version is released there will be folk who want to try VR but not at the prices of the retail versions of vive/oculus

For me its same witu buying a new gr card...will sell current card at a loss but itll help finance the new card.

Yeah, what he said. You've been registered since 2004 but only have 124 posts. Its going to be a few more decades until you get access :p

Back
Top Bottom