Oculus Rift

The current version is a dev kit which is targeted at developers who want to create the first wave of games for the device. This isn't any different to any other piece of hardware out there, but due to kickstarter the dev kit has become much more widely distributed than usual. Reviewers would not usually have a piece of hardware this early on in it's development. I think even the creators where surprised at the demand. The actual device has not been finished yet and will certainly differ from the dev kit. Any review at this stage is a bit pointless, really. Since they may criticise parts of the device which change radically in the final version.

The current version is a dev kit.

Nobody is disputing that, what most people are tentative about is the claims of having it done by 2014 at a consumer price range, but it's completely subjective to where that price starts and stops of course.

It's about being realistic and optimistic at the same time, we all want it to work but it sounds further out than 2014, especially since panels to get rid of the screendoor effect are so outpriced from the general market the usual buyers are militaries and medical professionals.

But yeah, who cares if it's going to take longer than that, as long as someone is pushing the tech/market because I do believe many people will want it.

No, it's just annoying when people pick up on things that aren't being said.
People do it a lot on these forums, but it's not exclusive to here, you can read so many threads where someone will reply to another pulling things from thin air, statements that were never said or wild assumptions based on the smallest of information.

Such as you thinking it's a review, when it is an impression on the current state of the product.

Secondly, the need for people to rather than talk it out, or reply with something of substance to then go and spew bile or nonsense because they have nothing better to say, as you did. Creating friction in a discussion which ultimately leads to mods having to shut those doing it down.

Of course, the expected reply will just be like your previous, it won't have anything to do with the topic at hand, or about a video of it, or the information people are giving out. It won't stop me replying like I do often when someone is acting irrational.

Can you deal with that or are you going to act out?

Sorry, not going to be fulfilling your transparent need to provoke an emotional response, not that interested to be honest. You might want to reflect on the fact that you are the only one that started calling everyone fanboys or ignorant if they did not agree with you. You also might want to consider Totality's post two posts above which makes an equivalent point sensibly and logically, without the need to insult. Something to think about.

It seems strange to me that there is an obsession with the screen resolution. They have stated they would improve it and lets be honest, the very fact that something like this exists was not even in the realm of the possible a year ago. With mass production of high res panels a reality for tablets and phones, im certain theyll find something suitable in due course.

Last edited:
The reason why they haven't demo'd a version with a real display yet is because that display doesn't exist. I feel they are bargaining on the fact that a display in the price range will appear before they release consumer units.

It's a gamble for them as they could end up with egg on their face, but its a kick starter project so the risk you take.

Lets face it, if the screens existed they would use them in press demo kits...

I reckon one will pop up, with a lot of new phones coming out with 1080P displays, we'll then start to see 7" tablets coming out with 1080P displays too which will be cheaper to produce anyway.

He's right about the current screen, in that the screen door effect is very visable, and that you couldn't play seriously competetive games with it due to the low res screen. However, it doesn't stop it being a fun, and frankly, amazing experience.

However, he seems to be the total skeptic when it comes to Oculus, moaning that if they were going to put in a higher res screen (which they've repeatedly said they are for the consumer unit) that they would have showed it off. A consumer release is at the very least probably a year away, so why would they show a higher res screen now, when they probably don't even know which screen will actually make it into the production unit.

First time I've ever listened to this guy, and it's a shame he just goes on and on about the same thing, as in the beginning, I thought he was quite rational, but by the end just thought he was a total ****.

I know where you're coming from and why you get that impression from him - he's a character that takes a bit of getting used to as he's very much of the opinion that he will say exactly what he thinks and feels and not "soften" it for any one, he lives how he wants to live etc.

He does have a background with this kind of technology as well, which is why he does admit to being sceptical because nothing has been achieved on this scale with any good results. He does like the product and the idea behind it, he just wants to see some more results from it before it gets released - which it is bound to improve upon before it reaches that stage in its life!

I'm still quite excited about the whole concept and can't wait to see future developments on it!

As for the panel aspect / issue, the easiest way I would see to combat this would be to utilise AMOLED screens, but that would drive the cost far beyond what they want. Only time will tell and produce good results!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom