Oculus Rift

It took me a while to get my head around this concept :) I've played Garry's Mod modes where you have a virtual cinema, but it will be no way near the experience you'd get from the Rift.

Could you imagine a virtual cinema where you walk in, put on virtual 3D goggles, then watch a 3D film? Ok, that might blow your mind bit too much! :D

VR Cinema 3D for the Rift already supports 3d movies, and it works brilliantly. The only negative (as has been mentioned countless times) is the screen res of the current devkit. I can't wait to watch a movie in the next iteration of the Rift.

Guys is this game any good? I know it's gone Free 2 Play but is it worth giving it a shot? Been playing WoW for ages and fancy a change to something different.

CCP games have created a dogfighting game in their "spare time" and it sounds like it's been wowing people at E3 - even though it sounds like they were running it on the lower res dev kit!:

A better view of the gameplay - the feeling must be incredible with a decent pair of headphones!:

Looks fantastic. Air/space combat games are going to be blooming awesome with this. I can't imagine how cool an x-wing vs tie fighter remake would be.

I want, I want!

Apparently theyve just secured $16 million funding, so its getting closer. How close? theyre not saying but with that kind of dosh theyll have some serious milestones to meet to satisfy the investors. Getting excited.

I super keen on getting this when it comes out on commercial release.

Its the last missing piece of the puzzle for PC gaming.

BF3 with VR goggles would be EPIC!:eek:

Not worried over cost tbh as long as it works with most games, and is both fast and clear.

Can't wait!:cool:

I don't get why it's taken so long for proper virtual and augmented reality to appear, we've had the basic technology in smart phones for years now and big companies could have made it happen already, let's just hope it really takes off and becomes the next big thing.

Last edited:
I don't get why it's taken so long for proper virtual and augmented reality to appear, we've had the basic technology in smart phones for years now and big companies could have made it happen already, let's just hope it really takes off and becomes the next big thing.

Big companies haven't, partly because they have been blind-sided, partly because they missed the point all together (HMZ-T2), showed no interest, and also because the tech wasn't actually up to the standard of what oculus is trying to achieve.

we've had the basic technology in smart phones for years now

So, I wouldn't say that long ago. Maybe a couple of years, three years at most. High PPI Displays with good refresh rate are relatively recent. It's been in development for quite a while too. Carmack's presentation was a year ago, and that's when the thing really took off. And it's present incarnation hasn't really changed that much from the original design, so it's all credit for the original design and how mature it was to begin with.

I suppose it could have iterated faster, maybe to even coincide better with the next gen consoles and force their hands. But hey, I'm not complaining, I like the way they are open about it, and the way they want to refine the design and get developers onboard, and that takes time. Perfect storm I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom