OCZ Vertex Owners Thread - Test Results

My 2p

My PC was getting pretty bogged down so bought a 60gb Vertex to replace my 2nd generation Raptor drive 74gb

not into benchmarking anymore after years of overclocking and tweaking I am too old and lazy to be bothered with all the hassles etc :D

anyway last night installed Vista home premium 64bit and got most of my programs back on and must say things do seem to be a whole lot snapier at opening programs etc and file copying is faster than from my Raptor

must also add these drives are small (very small) I should have bought a little cradle to fit the drive bay - screwed in with a single screw and its fine

no noise at all, does not get warm at all either so I think in the next few years all drives will be SSD (smaller faster quieter)

I still have 4 Scsi drive screamers sat on my shelf that were louder than noisy!!!

these new SSD drives look to be a good step in the right direction

I cannot say that the drive is a quantum leap forward but it sure is the fastest drive for copying files and generally speeding up my programs opening that I have ever used

as an example I am big into Photoshop etc and it opens up the program and the pictures much quicker than before and also have another PC running XP Professional which is no where near as snappy as this machine

hopefully it will be reliable ??? but if the SSD manufacturers make them reliable I believe these drives will completly change the hard drive market (for the better)

apologies for anyone wanting to see endless benchmark scores etc
- but in real world usage this drive has made everything far 'snappier' which is the reason I bought it

yes I am quite satisfied with it even though they are pretty expensive, but it has improved the whole PC experience a little, not having to wait for 15 seconds for photoshop to fully open etc less than a second or two at the most

happy bunny

my 2p
cheers Chris

My Vertex 120 is sat on my desk next to my MBP at work... I'll be making a quick dash at 1630 home (pity I travelled by train today).

Once at home... I can see it will be:
1. Plug in Time machine
2. Wait for TM to finish
3. shutdown
4. unscrew and fit SSD
5. Insert Leopard disk
6. Format & partition
7. Hit 'restore from Time Machine'
8. Go off and make dinner and sort out the house
9. Find out if the Vertex roxx0rs-my-soxx0rs :D (I'll upload a before/after xbench)

This will be a good example xbench as the TM restore will not restore by cloning but restoring the same install at a file level.

Code:
Results	178.35	
	System Info		
		Xbench Version		1.3
		System Version		10.5.6 (9G55)
		Physical RAM		4096 MB
		Model		MacBookPro3,1
		Drive Type		OCZ-VERTEX 1199
	Disk Test	178.35	
		Sequential	131.92	
			Uncached Write	202.55	124.36 MB/sec [4K blocks]
			Uncached Write	176.07	99.62 MB/sec [256K blocks]
			Uncached Read	66.59	19.49 MB/sec [4K blocks]
			Uncached Read	213.40	107.26 MB/sec [256K blocks]
		Random	275.19	
			Uncached Write	116.55	12.34 MB/sec [4K blocks]
			Uncached Write	327.73	104.92 MB/sec [256K blocks]
			Uncached Read	2173.79	15.40 MB/sec [4K blocks]
			Uncached Read	409.19	75.93 MB/sec [256K blocks]

That's on a fully restored system drive (Vertex replacing the MBP's internal drive).

3x30GB Vertex RAID 0
all brand new today from OC
Latest firmware :)
vista64 installed fully updated
DFI X58 ICH10R

workstation1

workstation1-tony.jpg

atto-3x30gb.jpg

HDtune-3x30.jpg

hdtach-3x30.jpg

day

I've been suffering some of the 'hangs'. So far I've had two - once when I went to get coffee (idle) and another when I was in the middle of editing a word document.

It could be a chipset issue..*shug*

Update on mine
no issue at all as of yet - definatly makes my previous 74gb Raptor seem a slow coach in the opening of programs etc
and that is what I was after so after 3-4 weeks I am more than happy with it

might even flash out and get another for a bit of raid 0 goodness LOL

dav187
those are pretty spectacular numbers mate you must be well chuffed

cheers Chris

I've been suffering some of the 'hangs'. So far I've had two - once when I went to get coffee (idle) and another when I was in the middle of editing a word document.

It could be a chipset issue..*shug*

If your using Intel chipset, theres a new sata driver that supposed to fix hanging on SSD's when waking from idle.

There is also going to be a new firmware out soon which may fix problems a few people have been having whilst boosting read and write speeds further.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53187

dav187
those are pretty spectacular numbers mate you must be well chuffed

cheers Chris

Yeah I'm liking the performance of these 3x30GB Vertex over my 2x60GB Vertex.

Performance of 2x60GB Vertex before new firmware 1199,

raid0vertex.jpg

i cant test them again since i sold one of 60GB Vertex and the other is for sale...

With my VelociRaptor in raid 0 for my installed games makes is pretty snappy system..

VelociRaptor
rapatto.jpg

raphdtach.jpg

All this to get the load times down :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom