Poll: Official 2024 Austrian Grand Prix Race Thread - Red Bull Ring, Spielberg - Race 11/24

Rate the Austrian race out of ten

• One

• Two

• Three

• Four

• Five

• Six

• Seven

• Eight

• Nine

• Ten

• I’m not voting, I just want to see the result.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Commissario
Just seen some more footage with a lot more radio.

Directly after the coming together, on his way back to the pit Max jumps on the wireless.

"Mate, my delta is *****, I have no power"

GP replies with

"You had the pit lane speed limiter on"

Couldn't help but chuckle at that.

Man of Honour
Perez got a grid penalty for driving a car in an unsafe condition back to the pits.

Norris spread carbon parts around 2/3 of the track as he drove back too fast, causing the tyre to flail and destroyed the rear right of his car.

Hmmm.....

Last edited:
Associate
Me? Red Bull/ Verstappen glasses? :cry:

You're new around here aren't you?

I still can't see Norris as 100% innocent in this. As the FIA states, Verstappen was predominantly at fault, but Norris did not help himself at all.

I don't quite get what Norris is meant to have done wrong in the actual incident ? He did some speculative dive bombing in the laps before which probably helped cultivate the climate within which Max decided to squeeze him... but it seems a bit rich to somehow factor that into whose to blame for the contact that happened a lap or 2 later.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Perez got a grid penalty for driving a car in an unsafe condition back to the pits.

Norris spread carbon parts around 2/3 of the track as he drove back too fast, causing the tyre to flail and destroyed the rear right of his car.

Cars have always been allowed to return to the pits with a puncture, whereas Pérez took a car with a smashed rear wing back.

Soldato
I don't quite get what Norris is meant to have done wrong in the actual incident ? He did some speculative dive bombing in the laps before which probably helped cultivate the climate within which Max decided to squeeze him... but it seems a bit rich to somehow factor that into whose to blame for the contact that happened a lap or 2 later.
In hindsight, maybe we have underestimated Norris and he'd already figured to what extremes he'd have to go to, to get past Max. Hence the aggressive "dive bombs" (the irony of Max complaining about those is just hilarious :D). But none of his previous attempts excuse Max's actions when they eventually came into contact. I mean he gave him a second bump after the first hit, and then as discussed above tried blocking him going down the straight as well. That's not just "hard racing" by any stretch of the imagination.

As Stella said, the FIA need to grow a pair here and properly punish Max if he continues to defend this way.

Soldato
That clips also cuts off before the second left hand turn by Max.. But as Feek says there will still be people defending him..

Associate
I'm honestly losing my love for F1, because of the stupid penalty system and the fact that some are penalised for doing one thing and then someone else does exactly the same thing and doesn't get penalised.

Soldato
There is no rule about moving when braking, full stop. When Alonso does it, and other drivers, and quite frequently, it is called robust defending and pushing the boundaries.
In that video Max is only drifting across the track and to prove he deliberately moved you would need the telemetry from the steering wheel to show that there was actual input. Which tv couch 'experts' do not. We simply do not have any of the evidence that the stewards have and from that video Max is moving into the path of Lando but there appears to be no sudden dart, unlike what Alonso and other drivers have done in the past, and Max's car is drifting into the path of Lando's even before each car is alongside. Lando should have seen that and backed off.

However much people are trying to whip up a storm about it, because it is Max, in racing there is little to shout about, much worse has been done by Lewis, Alonso etc, and even by Lando himself in the past.

Seriously, we want racing not dictated to by rules and to suggest that because someone presents an alternative reality is defending Max is just no more than a cheap shot. It could be argued equally that some seem have a problem with Max, and Red Bull, in general, and thus make it personal and will just keep on obsessively focusing upon everything Max does, that every other driver has done, as a criticism.

Max got a penalty for causing a collision, time to move on...

Last edited:
Don
Soldato
There is no rule about moving when braking, full stop. When Alonso does it, and other drivers, and quite frequently, it is called robust defending and pushing the boundaries.
In that video Max is only drifting across the track and to prove he deliberately moved you would need the telemetry from the steering wheel to show that there was actual input. Which tv couch 'experts' do not. We simply do not have any of the evidence that the stewards have and from that video Max is moving into the path of Lando but there appears to be no sudden dart, unlike what Alonso and other drivers have done in the past, and Max's car is drifting into the path of Lando's even before each car is alongside. Lando should have seen that and backed off.

However much people are trying to whip up a storm about it, because it is Max, in racing there is little to shout about, much worse has been done by Lewis, Alonso etc, and even by Lando himself in the past.

Seriously, we want racing not dictated to by rules and to suggest that because someone presents an alternative reality is defending Max is just no more than a cheap shot. It could be argued equally that some seem have a problem with Max, and Red Bull, in general, and thus make it personal and will just keep on obsessively focusing upon everything Max does, that every other driver has done, as a criticism.

Max got a penalty for causing a collision, time to move on...
Lando also has himself to blame. There was space on the outside but held his path even though he could see Max was angled for that spot long ago. Not sure why he went so deep anyway because he couldn’t undercut Max.

Even on the run after the knock, Max was angled right and Lando follows him right trying to overtake on an ever closing gap, whereas he could’ve stayed left and passed.

Lando gets flustered whereas Charles was much better under pressure (those handful of races where the Ferrari was competitive).

Soldato
I'm honestly losing my love for F1, because of the stupid penalty system and the fact that some are penalised for doing one thing and then someone else does exactly the same thing and doesn't get penalised.

Yup, way too many rules are making the sport boring, I want to see action packed aggresive driving

The max thing is a good example of a ruckus about absolutely nothing, its ruining racing

Last edited:
Associate
Yup, way too many rules are making the sport boring, I want to see action packed aggresive driving

The max thing is a good example of a ruckus about absolutely nothing, its ruining racing

Completely agree.. fit the cars with strong rails all around.. and lets get it on.. none of these going off track and gaining an advantage penalties.. or penalties for forcing someone off track..

Would be much more entertaining.. to then see 15 cars smashing into the back of each other under breaking.. a bit like VR racing really.. where there is no concequences.. and everyone has more fun ;)

Soldato
In that video Max is only drifting across the track and to prove he deliberately moved you would need the telemetry from the steering wheel to show that there was actual input.
Please pass us the name of your dealer so I can buy some of the extra-strong RB skunk you're smoking. Watch the Twitter video above, Max was moving to the right, then as Norris approaches he changes direction and moves to the left to squeeze him. Are the Max-defenders now in a world where we pretend the car changes direction of it's own volition? :p And the first move isn't even the worse part, it's going straight ahead at the corner, turning left into a right-hander to hit Norris a second time.

EDIT: You know what, do us all a favour and pause this at 5 seconds in;

Max got a penalty for causing a collision
So why are you still trying to defend the move?
The max thing is a good example of a ruckus about absolutely nothing
Hardly. It's P1 and P2 in the WDC going hell for leather against each other, something that has not happened in the last couple of years. The end result was a collision and significant damage to both cars. It's hardly "nothing" so trying to sweep it under the carpet is rather silly.

Last edited:
Caporegime

We get better racing when the drivers race fairly. We had an entertaining battle between Norris and Max until Max drove into him. Had he defended more fairly, we'd have had Norris passing (maybe) followed by Max trying to take the place back or stick within 5s at least; or we'd have had Norris failing to make the move stick and trying again in a couple of corners.

Back
Top Bottom