Poll: Official 2024 Austrian Grand Prix Race Thread - Red Bull Ring, Spielberg - Race 11/24

Rate the Austrian race out of ten

• One

• Two

• Three

• Four

• Five

• Six

• Seven

• Eight

• Nine

• Ten

• I’m not voting, I just want to see the result.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Soldato
No, no he wasn't.

He was given a 10 second penalty for causing a collision. That's very different from not avoiding a collision.

"Car 1 was approaching turn 3 with Car 4 alongside on his left. Before turning in, the driver of Car 1 moved to the left, causing a collision with Car 4. The Stewards determine that the driver of Car 1 was predominantly at fault and therefore impose the above mentioned penalty in line with precedents."
You are correct, I didn't look up the exact reason why Max received this penalty.
Shows that the stewards were doing their job..

Last edited:
Associate
Bottom line with all of this, regardless of what side of the fence you are on, is that the rules need clarifying.

I do worry, however, that this will somehow turn into a TMO/VAR farce going forwards (Moreso than it already is lol)

Soldato
I don't see Max's approach ever changing. The current penalty system means the repercussions are minimal for Max and Redbull. Tactically he can continue to do the same and if it is the next nearest title contender like Lando, both score no points so the gap is maintained.

Caporegime
I don't see Max's approach ever changing. The current penalty system means the repercussions are minimal for Max and Redbull. Tactically he can continue to do the same and if it is the next nearest title contender like Lando, both score no points so the gap is maintained.

Yeh. I mean he ended up with more points relative to Norris finishing 5th with Norris not finishing compared with having won it with Norris 2nd, which is quite amusing.

For the championship, it totally worked out as it looks like Norris is the only one who can even remotely challenge him for the title this year now.

Last edited:
Associate
Max's attitude has always been 'I win or we crash', doubt he'll ever improve his racing and why would he when he's got people like Christian Horner telling him he wasn't to blame.

Soldato
Because Lando was trying to overtake by steaming up the left hand side? You can see the first manoeuvre from Max to the left then he jinxes to the right.
As stated the stewards will have looked at every incident and Max was given a 10 sec penalty for not avoiding a collision, as any other driver has received in the past and will do so in the future.
Just your interpretation of what is after all only a minor incident..
Looks like the video embed removed my start point which is at 3mins - where they are both along the straight. As I said, along the straight (after the contact), Lando is almost fully alongside Max when Max points more at the grass to block him. That's what I'm talking about; https://youtu.be/iNFeqUoyPC4?si=jrtTN7sJN36XyU_4&t=183 Totally unnecessary, petulant and dangerous.
Max's attitude has always been 'I win or we crash', doubt he'll ever improve his racing and why would he when he's got people like Christian Horner telling him he wasn't to blame.
I can't find the link amongst the guff now but Brundle has commented that the radio messages from RB to Verstappen are worrying - for that reason.

Soldato
No different than from other drivers in the past, Senna to name just one and why would his team boss not publicly support him anyway?
Looks like the video embed removed my start point which is at 3mins - where they are both along the straight. As I said, along the straight (after the contact), Lando is almost fully alongside Max when Max points more at the grass to block him. That's what I'm talking about; https://youtu.be/iNFeqUoyPC4?si=jrtTN7sJN36XyU_4&t=183 Totally unnecessary, petulant and dangerous.

I can't find the link amongst the guff now but Brundle has commented that the radio messages from RB to Verstappen are worrying - for that reason.
As stated the stewards deemed Max to be at fault and punished him with more than just the normal 5 second penalty, so end of really.

Last edited:
Don
No different than from other drivers in the past, Senna to name just one and why would his team boss not publicly support him anyway?

As stated the stewards deemed Max to be at fault and punished him with more than just the normal 5 second penalty, so end of really.

10 second in-race penalty in addition to the two points on his license. Clearly the stewards thought it serious enough that they would give him actual license points for it too.

Soldato
The whole situation gave me more respect for Charles and Lewis, more so Charles when considering experience, etc.

They’ve both had battles with Max but didn’t let frustration get the better of them (most of the time). Lando has the driving talent, but I don’t think he’s WDC material yet.

Man of Honour
sSKRuJY.jpeg

Soldato
How's he going to improve his racing if his team boss is telling him he did nothing wrong? It was obvious Norris was going to get a penalty so it was completely unnecessary and cost the team a win.
We only know what we've heard publicly, not necessarily what happens behind closed doors. So we know nothing...

Last edited:
Associate
You only know what you've heard, not necessarily what happens behind closed doors...
Why would they publicly damage the credibility of the Red Bull team by telling him it was Norris's fault on the radio, only to admit it was his own fault behind closed doors?

Soldato
Why would they publicly damage the credibility of the Red Bull team by telling him it was Norris's fault on the radio, only to admit it was his own fault behind closed doors?
Same as Norris last week saying he left enough space on the start and having Max and Lewis laugh at this response. Why would they publicly admit fault? They aren’t stupid, they might not know it was there fault at the time, being in the drivers seat, but they’d know from watching the footage.

Caporegime
Maybe drivers should lose a minimum of x places or y seconds. Whichever is worse.

So you lose 2 places or 10 seconds or something Whichever is more painful.

Back
Top Bottom