Poll: Official 2024 Austrian Grand Prix Race Thread - Red Bull Ring, Spielberg - Race 11/24

Rate the Austrian race out of ten

• One

• Two

• Three

• Four

• Five

• Six

• Seven

• Eight

• Nine

• Ten

• I’m not voting, I just want to see the result.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Soldato
I still look back at Silverstone and the crash with Hamilton and just don't understand why Max didn't just use the huge amount of road that was available to the left and instead insisted on taking his line and then being shocked when Lewis was there. I guess he would rather crash than lose - I thought he had learned that second place is better than a DNF though.
Na mate apparently it was Lewis that left him no room remember? Max needs the whole track on his own innit

Reactions: mjt
Caporegime
Good race.
Perez finished behind the hulk is amusing.

Not surprised those two tangled. It wasn't just one bag love by max. It was many infringements and hot heads.

Congrats to George. And particularly the hulk!

Caporegime
I don't think they should start changing rules because of the impact on the other driver. That would be a recipe for disaster and controversy

Soldato
It was a pretty minor squeeze tbh, quite similar to Hamilton on Piastri at Monza last year. The margins are fine. I’ve seen far worse squeezes from Max and plenty of other drivers over the years, this was in a battle for the win though so it gets a lot more attention than it would if some mid tier drivers had done the same.

Deserved the penalty just like Hamilton did at Monza.
I always feel like that Monza move was just quickly brushed under the rug, but it was one of the worst moves in recent memory. A great example of awful racing.

Caporegime
Is there still no info on when/how Lewis got a massive hole in his sidepod?

I thought he was slow in the 3rd stint and then saw the picture and was like "oh, yeh that will do it".

It wasn't from the start with Sainz and he didn't have any other contact as far as I know.

Soldato
Not much more to say about Max really, other than I really wish the FIA would enforce proper penalties on his driving standards. Race bans might eventually get through to him. Maybe not.

I think the moving under braking, and, moving twice thing really needs to be looked at and enforced. They are all really pushing it lately. Not just Max. K Mag takes the biscuit with it. Even George moved twice blatantly on some of the opening few laps. Sainz is another one that can be OTT.
I think the main rules being broken are:

1: Moving twice (often disguised as "moving back onto the racing line")
2: Moving as a reaction to another drivers move left or right, moving AFTER their direction change in the SAME direction (very dangerous at high speeds)
3: Changing line under braking as a BLOCK, rather than as an attempt to take the corner

Soldato
You can tell Max's character by how he tries to run Norris off on the straight after the collision when he's got three wheels on his wagon... He squeezed Norris and ended up a mile off the apex. If it was on the exit then squeeze away, but on entry? That's a Rosberg manoeuvre.

Reactions: Dup
Soldato
You can tell Max's character by how he tries to run Norris off on the straight after the collision when he's got three wheels on his wagon...
Yep. I think the stewards should be looking at that quite frankly. As it turns out Norris had damage so couldn't get past him there anyway, but had he not and Norris had put his foot down then it could have been nasty. There must be rules about blocking the road intentionally when your car is limping?

Commissario
You can tell Max's character by how he tries to run Norris off on the straight after the collision when he's got three wheels on his wagon... He squeezed Norris and ended up a mile off the apex. If it was on the exit then squeeze away, but on entry? That's a Rosberg manoeuvre.
As much as I don't like him, I'm not sure he was trying to push Lando off there, wasn't there another car coming up on his left side and he was giving them space?

More footage.

Soldato
As much as I don't like him, I'm not sure he was trying to push Lando off there, wasn't there another car coming up on his left side and he was giving them space?

More footage.

I get where you're coming from but that part of the track easily allows three abreast and I'm sure all his looking for is papaya in the mirror :)

Soldato
I'm a massive Max fan id admit, so I might be biased. But I think this incident has been well overhyped tbh. He isn't the first or the last driver to squeeze on that corner, it was a uncharacteristic mistake from Max that was rightly penalised.

Moving under braking btw is NOT a rule. No matter how many times Sky commentators talk about it, it is not currently a direct rule under F1.
By the way the only penalty ever awarded for such a move was Vettel 2016.

Last edited:
Soldato
I get where you're coming from but that part of the track easily allows three abreast and I'm sure all his looking for is papaya in the mirror :)
Clearly, from that video with the first collision Max left just about a car's width, with Norris steaming up the outside I doubt if Max would be looking to the left and from the jiggle of his car to the right he was just as surprised to see Lando trying a overtake that was never going to succeed anyway.

The stewards will have looked and reviewed every incident after the race and they decide if there is sufficient justification for further penalties, not us. No sign that there are yet, and they have access to far more information than anyone at home watching it on tv. But some just need to accept they know what they are doing.
Bring on Silverstone...

Soldato
he was just as surprised to see Lando trying a overtake that was never going to succeed anyway.
Why would he be surprised? He doesn't know what damage Lando has immediately after the impact so if anything - with his puncture he would be expecting Lando to sail past him there...

EDIT: And perhaps maybe watch it again. Lando was almost up the side of Verstappen when he moved more across to block. It's actually worse than I thought yesterday;

Even if Max was already heading towards that side of the road he should be letting cars past which means getting out of the way. Not continuing a move into the side of someone coming through.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why would he be surprised? He doesn't know what damage Lando has immediately after the impact so if anything - with his puncture he would be expecting Lando to sail past him there...

EDIT: And perhaps maybe watch it again. Lando was almost up the side of Verstappen when he moved more across to block. It's actually worse than I thought yesterday;

Even if Max was already heading towards that side of the road he should be letting cars past which means getting out of the way. Not continuing a move into the side of someone coming through.
Because Lando was trying to overtake by steaming up the left hand side? You can see the first manoeuvre from Max to the left then he jinxes to the right.
As stated the stewards will have looked at every incident and Max was given a 10 sec penalty for not avoiding a collision, as any other driver has received in the past and will do so in the future.
Just your interpretation of what is after all only a minor incident..

Last edited:
Commissario
Max was given a 10 sec penalty for not avoiding a collision
No, no he wasn't.

He was given a 10 second penalty for causing a collision. That's very different from not avoiding a collision.

"Car 1 was approaching turn 3 with Car 4 alongside on his left. Before turning in, the driver of Car 1 moved to the left, causing a collision with Car 4. The Stewards determine that the driver of Car 1 was predominantly at fault and therefore impose the above mentioned penalty in line with precedents."

2024 Austrian Grand Prix - Infringement - Car 1 - Causing a collision.png

Back
Top Bottom